Three Color Edge Spots 3D18 3D14 3D38, Tilting? (1 Viewer)

TheOffalo

Full House
Tourney Director
Reaction score
If you haven't seen the Nevada $100, it manages to use 4 colors in a 4TSA18, a.k.a. bear/sloth-claw. 12 spots total, 3 spots each of 4 colors:

1670033695194.png

It's funky but cool, and there is a method to the madness...

So I thought, can we do that with a 3D14 (or 3D18 or 3D38)? There are 6 total edge spots, so rather than use 2 colors, let's try 3!

1670033794434.png

Would this work for anyone? Or would it just tilt you?

ian-malcolm.gif

(Images courtesy of ChipGuide, et cetera.)

I never realized that the edge spots were in a different orientation or order... that's very interesting.

IMG_5454.jpg

Now if there was a chip that had different colors going all around or it used the same colors, but in a different order then it would probably tilt me pretty hard. Not sure if I'll ever be able to look at this chip in the same way anymore. It's going to be a gem to find someday for a nice price. One of those quirky rare chips.

I'm not personally offended by this, and am not tilted by the concept, but I also haven't seen these in stacks. That might be the tipping point for me.

No matter how any one feels about this, it will look like a whole bunch of error chips slipped through production Q.C.

Its why its the goat hundo for me. Only chip ive seen use spot patterns like this. Ive referred to in PMs as a "T" spot pattern.

Ive never said it publicly like you have in this post because I didnt want to create additional competition in trying to secure a single as more people would realise its a unique oddity and would then probably want one. :ninja:

Now that I have secured a single, Im happy for more people to appreciate its uniqueness. :cool

Back to your question of increasing more colours onto chips by alternating colours on standard spot patterns im all for it. Im pretty sure the CPC tool allows for this to be done for some spot patterns or can be requested as a special order.

I'm not personally offended by this, and am not tilted by the concept, but I also haven't seen these in stacks. That might be the tipping point for me.

No matter how any one feels about this, it will look like a whole bunch of error chips slipped through production Q.C.
I like the chip alot but yeah I’d like to see this in stacks too.

I'm a fan. I haven't seen all the chips out there but I can't think of another one that uses 4 different color edge spots. For the inlay, spot pattern, amount of colors, and uniqueness, there isn't a cooler chip IMO. I can't help but see this chip now as basically a 3 spot chip with 4 colors that rotate. I'm not tilted at all and they look great in a huge stack of 4 lol, now 3.
8EwJBLt.jpg

My question is more whether this split of colors would work with the 3DXXX layouts, 3 colors across 3 pairs of two spots...

I'm looking at this again and realize it's four colors that repeat three times.... Look at the example in the OP. Starting at the upper left and going clockwise: gray, white, pink, blue. Keep going clockwise and it repeats two more times before coming back to the first gray spot.

It's a 3QSA18. It's trying to be three split groups of four and not four split groups of three.... :unsure:

3QSA18-sample.jpg

[EDIT - crummy and quick mock-up of what this wants to be. Anybody have the ear of the folks at Paulson? :wtf:]

Last edited:
I'm looking at this again and realize it's four colors that repeat three times.... Look at the example in the OP. Starting at the upper left and going clockwise: gray, white, pink, blue. Keep going clockwise and it repeats two more times before coming back to the first gray spot.

It's trying to be three split groups of four and not four split groups of three.... :unsure:
Exactly

It's a 3QSA18. It's trying to be three split groups of four and not four split groups of three.... :unsure:
Yes, this middle picture was supposed to show that. It's basically 4 T shapes, one of each color, rotated...
1670049237467.png

Also it should be mentioned thats its the only chip I know of (excluding error chips) where each cluster of edges spots* is unique.

*obviously excluding chips single coloured edge spots like trimoons etc.

If you haven't seen the Nevada $100, it manages to use 4 colors in a 4TSA18, a.k.a. bear/sloth-claw. 12 spots total, 3 spots each of 4 colors:

View attachment 1033438

It's funky but cool, and there is a method to the madness...

So I thought, can we do that with a 3D14 (or 3D18 or 3D38)? There are 6 total edge spots, so rather than use 2 colors, let's try 3!

View attachment 1033440

Would this work for anyone? Or would it just tilt you?

ian-malcolm.gif

(Images courtesy of ChipGuide, et cetera.)
Horrible, Nevadas are ok but I’d never ever do it to a custom chip

Yes, this middle picture was supposed to show that. It's basically 4 T shapes, one of each color, rotated...
View attachment 1033530
These T shapes you speak of remind me of the genatria thread. I think you’re seeing a pattern that just happens to be there but maybe isn’t designed. I’ve always looked at this chips and seen 4 colors repeated in the same order.
B G W P B G W P B G W P
Which, when grouped into threes becomes:
B G W, P B G, W P B, G W P

Yeah, that's gonna be a big "no" from me...

Screenshot 2022-12-03 at 12.59.06.png

Its why its the goat hundo for me. Only chip ive seen use spot patterns like this. Ive referred to in PMs as a "T" spot pattern.

Ive never said it publicly like you have in this post because I didnt want to create additional competition in trying to secure a single as more people would realise its a unique oddity and would then probably want one. :ninja:

Now that I have secured a single, Im happy for more people to appreciate its uniqueness. :cool

Back to your question of increasing more colours onto chips by alternating colours on standard spot patterns im all for it. Im pretty sure the CPC tool allows for this to be done for some spot patterns or can be requested as a special order.
Yup…the cat is out of the bag. Now that I’ve been told it’s cool I have to have it….no matter the price.

I never realized that the edge spots were in a different orientation or order... that's very interesting.

View attachment 1033471

Now if there was a chip that had different colors going all around or it used the same colors, but in a different order then it would probably tilt me pretty hard. Not sure if I'll ever be able to look at this chip in the same way anymore. It's going to be a gem to find someday for a nice price. One of those quirky rare chips.

It’s not different orientation. The colors are just in a pattern. It’s how they put the spot colors in before pressing. Ping blue grey white PBGWPBGW it just goes in that order

These T shapes you speak of remind me of the genatria thread. I think you’re seeing a pattern that just happens to be there but maybe isn’t designed. I’ve always looked at this chips and seen 4 colors repeated in the same order.
B G W P B G W P B G W P
Which, when grouped into threes becomes:
B G W, P B G, W P B, G W P
Yeah this

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom