Three cases side by side (1 Viewer)

thebrack

Waiting List
Reaction score
I ended up with three cases and thought it would be good to show some photos and a little review of the cases. Tossing this up quickly, I'll be glad to answer almost any questions!

IMG_20160131_115053.jpg

CHH Imports 500 Chip Aluminum Poker Case

Versa Games 500pc Deluxe Poker Chip Case

Trademark Poker NEXGEN PRO 500 Chip Classic Style Poker Set in Aluminum Case

CCH
IMG_20160131_125631.jpg
IMG_20160131_125701.jpg
IMG_20160131_125903.jpg

Versa
IMG_20160131_123451.jpg
IMG_20160131_123614.jpg
IMG_20160131_124718.jpg
IMG_20160131_125147.jpg
IMG_20160131_130013.jpg

Nextgen
IMG_20160131_120140.jpg
IMG_20160131_130250.jpg

Some other photos:
IMG_20160131_115143.jpg
IMG_20160131_115354.jpg

I had to split the post to two posts, limited post size.

The last one obviously was actually a set that came with a case, but it's actually been ok for it's use. Hope this is at all useful for someone and sorry for some of the poor photos.

photo set-
https://goo.gl/photos/amnF1fh9PZHQhKQZ6

The CHH is really inexpensive and for how it's put together, at $20 it works and looks nice. That's about it thought in my opinion. I've quickly found not having a rounded tray under the chips cause them to fall and be hard to pick up. The latches are a standard stamped style, and the dividers appear to be sturdy. There isn't any foam in the lid and could hear shifting of chips in the case when closed. If I stuffed the chips in tight I could fit 51 Nextgen Pro or 52 Milano chips in each row. This making it actually the closest fitting case in the group. The pull strings are anchored down and don't pull out.

The Versa is a lot more costly. Comparing this to the others it's hands down a higher built quality. If it's worth the almost 3x cost it depends on your budget. I'm *mostly* happy with it. The latches are a much stronger toggle style latch that give a nice "click" when it's locked down. Not as solid as a Pelican latch. The chip tray are closer together but so far in use that hasn't had an impact in being able to get chips in and out easily. The handle is huge in comparison. Much more comfortable in the hand when loaded up with chips. The hinges people have already pointed out are only two and rather small. That's still the case. They are obviously stronger but only time will tell if they are strong enough. This case is a good bit thicker and I'm not sure why exactly. There seems to be a lot of thickness from under the chip trays but it's glued together enough I can't pull it apart to look without breaking it. The foam is not glued in place, I like this as it's a good place for a very small amount of paper or unused cards (jokers,poker help cards) if needed. Something I really didn't like was the card storage. The one little ribbon used to pull the cards up isn't anchored down at all and as you use it to pull up cads you can end up just pulling the ribbon out. I've made a small change to how I store the cards. After removing the card storage dividers my Davinci case or my KEM card cases fit almost perfectly. It's a little too deep to allow the lid to attach fully and keeping the cards from shifting but after placing the dividers on their side it lifts the card case up just enough to fit a button under it and allow for the card cases to be fully closed. They fit 52 Nextgen chips per row and 53 Milano chips.

-note: With those KEM cards be careful with the case, it's easy yo get a card to not sit down unless you remove all the extra cards and if you catch a card in the lid it'll bend it really badly.

The Case that came with the NEXTGEN chips. I've seen cases sold 3rd party before. It's your standard cheap case. It hasn't broken on me though yet after a year of moderate use. about two games a month. I did a similar modification to allow the card case to fit inside the chip case. There was a vertical directly above where the dealer button sits, it's been removed. It holds 54 NEXTGEN chips per row and 55 Milano chips per row. Note the build quality on the tray, the chip gap isn't consistent.

Thanks for the review. I have been wondering about the Versa case. I'll bet Gear could make some labels for you.

I have been wondering about the Versa case.

The Versa cases are the best I've ever owned, and they're the only case I've ever seen actually sold out on occasion. I have two of the 1k variety and one of the 500ct variety. Both are fantastic. Latches are the best I've used. Handle is the best I've used. The case just feels rock solid. The only complaints I have are the two that the OP mentions - the joints (wish there were three on the 500ct case, although I'm not sure the weight of 500 chips would ever require it; the 1k case has three joints), and the card area (which I actually wish they would do away with entirely).

@thebrack - How do you like the Nexgen Pros? I've always wondered about them. Handled a few on occasion but never had the need to buy any. Seems to me like they'd be a good budget option if you could find all the colors in stock regularly. I've heard that they can be super slippery, though. I just want to be able to recommend with confidence a stock chip that's lower than $.20/chip for those that need it.

For an inexpensive chip I really like the Nextgen. For some reason they put oil on the chips from the manufacture, lucky it wears off quickly. I find the weight to be near perfect, they are lighter than some other chips I'm not a fan of slugged chips. They stack nicely and after some wear shuffle well. The color markings are all the way through, if you break a chip most likely it'll crack along the edges of the colors. I've only broken one or two though in my set. The colors are great even with my slight color blindness I can tell easily and quickly the colors, counting the pot or finding dirty stacks is easy without it being some of those far out crazy neon colors I've seen on some other cheap chips. With the texture actually pressed into the chip it feels nice in the hand even though they feel cheap compared to clay chips. For QC, NONE of the chips I had in my set had any defects or missing, loose labels.

$126 for 500 set of Nextgen pro, Almost twice the cost of really cheep chips but worth it IMO. I haven't felt the Monte Carlo chips, but they have some very interesting artwork and look wonderful at the same price. They do look smooth though so I wonder how they feel in the hand. I'd be interested in this as an alternative if they styling of the Nextgen isn't what someones looking for.

I will say, the Milano chips have my guests gushing over how much they like them. Looks great, feel great. I might have over oiled them but after some use they are all looking great. QC, a couple had loose stickers but nothing major.

The NexGen Pro chips (no T in NexGen) use the same materials (both chip and label) as other similar injection-molded 9g plastic chips produced in China: most notably the Dunes Commemorative chips, Desert Palms, Pioneer Club, and the armed forces chip lines (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, etc.). Many share the same chip/spot colors. Only the respective molds and inlay image are different.

In fact, when first introduced, the NexGen chips were essentially a rip-off (color/spot combos) of the original plastic Dunes Commemorative chips, which were created first, produced for, and exclusively sold by @TheChipRoom on their web site. Same for the later-released military chips, ripping off the color/spot combos of the Desert Palms (also produced for and sold by TheChipRoom).

They are all low-budget plastic chips, better than most slugged plastic chips with a textured finish and decent sound, but are pretty slick overall and suffer from exploding-stack syndrome. Reasonable at 15c (and rare to find them at that price), but there are better alternatives at the 25c/chip price point.

It is my experience that the NexGen Pro chips are slicker than the Dunes or Desert Palms, primarily due to the mold differences.

s-l225.jpg
s-l225.jpg

poker-chip-military-blue.jpg
poker-chip-military-white.jpg
poker-chip-military-grey.jpg
poker-chip-military-red.jpg

poker-chip-nexgen-pro-classic-red-5.jpg
poker-chip-nexgen-pro-classic-brown-25000.jpg
s-l225.jpg

Last edited:
Ack! thanks for the spelling correcting. BGinGA has some great info there. Thanks for sharing! For a "generic" easy to read chip, I still find the NexGen easier to read than the Dune Commemorative chips. Thinking back I have seen a few stacks explode in peoples hands, though I don't have a lot of chips to compare it too. The Milanos I haven't had very long and those games are small enough no one needs to carry them around.

Yes, absolutely look for them on sale.

Hi guys. Looking for a somewhat higher quality 500-chip case, built to last. Apparently, Versa Games is a fine quality manufacturer of dedicated chip cases and its top product is the Deluxe case, either in 500 or 1000 chip capacity.

However, for a guy turning 49, who is not a lumberjack and whose neck has already been crippled by decades of office work in front of a monitor, weight is a serious issue too.
I wonder if the light-weight ABS model of the same company (Versa Games) is as sturdy as advertised. It guess it can't match the sturdiness of the Deluxe, but I wonder if it could be a good compromise, if weight is an issue. Weight-wise, I have anyway to remark that the Deluxe, although much heavier, has a much more comfortable handle.

Funnily, an extra reason for me to opt for CPC clays is that they weigh 33% less than China metal-insert plastics... :)

Hi guys. Looking for a somewhat higher quality 500-chip case, built to last. Apparently, Versa Games is a fine quality manufacturer of dedicated chip cases and its top product is the Deluxe case, either in 500 or 1000 chip capacity.

However, for a guy turning 49, who is not a lumberjack and whose neck has already been crippled by decades of office work in front of a monitor, weight is a serious issue too.
I wonder if the light-weight ABS model of the same company (Versa Games) is as sturdy as advertised. It guess it can't match the sturdiness of the Deluxe, but I wonder if it could be a good compromise, if weight is an issue. Weight-wise, I have anyway to remark that the Deluxe, although much heavier, has a much more comfortable handle.

Funnily, an extra reason for me to opt for CPC clays is that they weigh 33% less than China metal-insert plastics... :)
Have a Sam's club nearby? Go for the Members Mark 20" or 24" (with rollers) cases. Store your chips in racks inside.

Have a Sam's club nearby? Go for the Members Mark 20" or 24" (with rollers) cases. Store your chips in racks inside.
A MM 16" case would be more comparable for the quantity of chips (500) that he's considering carrying. A MM 20" case full of 800-1000 chips is pretty heavy, something he's trying to avoid.

Also, dunno if Sam's Club has stores in Greece.

Thanks v1pe and BGinGA. Indeed, my closest Sam's club store is several thousands of miles away. Amazon ships them to Greece, but I would like to see first hand something that needs customization - by a friend, that is, since my hands are good only for typing and dealing :).

At any rate, it will have to be either something light yet sturdy, or heavier with rollers.
Let's see if anybody has that ABS Versa Games 500 about which I am curious.
Best option of course would be the Deluxe 500 with some more physical exercise for the upper muscular system :)

A MM 16" case would be more comparable for the quantity of chips (500) that he's considering carrying. A MM 20" case full of 800-1000 chips is pretty heavy, something he's trying to avoid.

Also, dunno if Sam's Club has stores in Greece.
Haha! Replied on my phone and didn't check the location. Of course a smaller pelican case would be awesome as well, but much more expensive than the Members Mark option.

If weight is a serious concern I would just look at getting two 300 count cases. I can't find any 300 count Versa cases but the cheapos aren't bad for the 300 count. Plus you can carry one in each hand and balance yourself out(y) :thumbsup:

I recently picked up a Versa deluxe as well, and I love it, the best case I've owned by far

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom