Thoughts on this used table? (1 Viewer)

GoStumpy

Flush
Reaction score
http://classifieds.castanet.net/details/canuck_10_man_poker_table/2642597/

I was thinking of sending this guy an offer, it's been forsale for months now...

2642597-1-2.jpg
2642597-2-2.jpg
2642597-4-1.jpg

I'm not a hardcore Canucks lover but I do like them.

I finally noticed it's got custom printed SSC, I always dismissed it because I didn't want a felt table...

What do you think?

As long as your chips are not blue and you can deal with cup holders on the racetrack rather than on the rail, try low-balling him.

I don't think the rail is leather, maybe lethyr or pleather, Corinthian leather? Probably vinyl....

Good luck, let us know how it turns out,

BiGGyT

Take note that the raised play surface will likely tilt you to no end, but as a cheap table, go for it.

The issue you may run into is that when dealing the cards will go onto the racetrack partially and tip down (ie exposing part of the card to the player across the table) or if they slide completely onto the racetrack they can be a pain to pick up. If a person were to lower the playing surface or raise the race track so it was perfectly level it would fix those potential issues.

The issue you may run into is that when dealing the cards will go onto the racetrack partially and tip down (ie exposing part of the card to the player across the table) or if they slide completely onto the racetrack they can be a pain to pick up. If a person were to lower the playing surface or raise the race track so it was perfectly level it would fix those potential issues.

Or when dragging pots, OR shoving... Chip movement back and forth will be a PITA.

http://classifieds.castanet.net/details/canuck_10_man_poker_table/2642597/

I was thinking of sending this guy an offer, it's been forsale for months now...

View attachment 53514 View attachment 53515 View attachment 53516

I'm not a hardcore Canucks lover but I do like them.

I finally noticed it's got custom printed SSC, I always dismissed it because I didn't want a felt table...

What do you think?
Umm, @T_Chan's entry level tables are in a similar price range. go with quality

Or when dragging pots, OR shoving... Chip movement back and forth will be a PITA.
Agree about this. ^^

Although I do play in a game that has a table with a racetrack, and most players end up keeping their chips and cards on the playing surface itself, (i.e. inside the racetrack), which prevents stacks of chips having to move back and forth across the racetrack and playing surface at different levels. Players end up using the racetrack for cell phones, small bowls for snacks, etc.

Take note that the raised play surface will likely tilt you to no end, but as a cheap table, go for it.

FWIW I have three very similar "cheap-o" tables with raised playing surfaces, and actually quite like them. Granted, I got them for $40 each at a liquidation auction, so I can't really complain. As noted, there are some cons, but some pros as well.

My notes after playing with these tables for a little over a year:
  • Yes, cards that slide onto the race track can be a pain to pick up.
  • Shoving... my group never has had an issue here, we usually just say, "all in" and leave the chips where they are (unless a count is requested).
  • Dragging pots... no different than any other table. Drag the chips over and make a pile until you have time to stack em up.
  • The one big "pro" of these tables that most of my players have commented on, is that it's very easy to pull your hole cards to the edge, and gently lift them to see what you've been dealt. The edge is a built-in lip for you to use your thumb to lift up the corner of your cards to see the pips. And it's quite handy.
Of course, YMMV. I'd offer him $175 and see how he responds. If you can take it home for $225, I think you scored a solid deal, given that it's still in minty condition.

I think 300 is not a bad price. You can't build one for less than that and this one looks not too bad

Maybe I'll take a look at it and see what it feels like when I sit down...will see if he's open to offers first though.

Advantage is it's within 10 minutes of my house :)

One way you could fix the uneven lip would be to pull the raised playing surface up and get a thinner piece of wood. Say the racetrack is 3/4 inch get a 1/2 inch thick piece of plywood for the playing surface so that way after you add the 1/4 inch foam it would be the same height as the racetrack. You could even use the original thicker piece to trace out the new thinner piece. Being I'm assuming its got a solid piece underneath it you wouldn't really weaken the table at all.

Or cards falling into empty cup holders on the deal :(

One way you could fix the uneven lip would be to pull the raised playing surface up and get a thinner piece of wood. Say the racetrack is 3/4 inch get a 1/2 inch thick piece of plywood for the playing surface so that way after you add the 1/4 inch foam it would be the same height as the racetrack. You could even use the original thicker piece to trace out the new thinner piece. Being I'm assuming its got a solid piece underneath it you wouldn't really weaken the table at all.

An easier solution:
upload_2016-8-23_18-0-15.png

All of that sounds great if it were a very expensive table, BUT, more work than worth for that table IMO

I hate those types of tables, from both a player and dealer perspective. Chips in the cup holders, cards in the chip holders, cards get damaged more easily..... they're just awful.

JSD, consider yourself lucky. I dealt and played on several of those types of table for 2-3 years (once or twice a week), and the cost in replacing card decks alone tilted me (and the table owners). The reduced enjoyment of playing/dealing on an un-level surface plus cupholders always in the way has an intrinsic price, too.

You couldn't PAY me $300 to have one in my house, much less me having to pay $300 for the 'privilege' of owning one.

Possible to modify this one? Are these built just with screws or would some wierdo glue things together?

I went and looked at the table today, didn't make an offer yet but am thinking about it.

The felt is only about 3/8" maybe or 1/4" raised above the rail, not a ton so I couldn't see cards doing anything bad when making the transition.

Theoretically I could fill the cupholder holes, smooth it over, and put an accent felt around the racetrack maybe? It comes apart pretty easily to do this...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom