Thoughts on playing with 43mm chips for all denoms? (1 Viewer)

TroyMan

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
I'll be buying an Iron Bank set. I'm pretty sure I want to buy the same size chips for all the denoms within each set. I could go 39mm for the cash set and 43mm for the tourney, or vice versa, but I'd prefer not to have mixed sizes in the same set.

Anyone ever play a game where all the chips were 43mm. If so, what did you think about it? Was it easy to adjust to playing with the larger chips? Or did handling/stacking the the larger chips feel awkward?

I prefer playing with all-43mm chip over a mixed-size set. The size difference is not such that the larger chips are uncomfortable or awkward to manipulate.

Regarding the Boardwalk and Iron Bank ceramic hybrid chips specifically, the 43mm versions feel and handle so much better than the 39mm counterparts that going with all oversize chips is a no-brainer imo. I am swapping out all of my lower-denomination 39mm Boardwalks for 43mm version chips in the latest group buy.

i have an all 43mm tourney set of bwalks. no problems getting used to them after 5 mins or so.

It's all a personal preference. Some like all the same size whether 36mm, 39mm, 43mm, etc... Some think that having a mix size set works better because it makes the larger chips kind of special (ie: having some oversize $100's in a cash game makes acquiring those chips something special).

In the case of the Boardwalks (or in your case the Iron Banks) there is a difference in feel between the 2 (39mm, 43mm) so much that I have added on to make both a 39mm only set & a 43mm only set (both cash & tournament). I think both sizes are fine on their own but don't like them mixed, but that's just me.

With some sets a mix set doesn't bother me, Paulson mixed sets for the most part don't feel that different therefore don't trigger any chip OCD too bad for me. Bud Jones usually don't bother me that much either but for the most part I like them all the same size when possible. Once the game starts I don't really find any problems adjusting to all 43mm instead of 39mm, in fact I don't even notice after a few minutes.

When I was planning on getting a set I was going to get all 43 mm chips. As Dave said. They feel and handle better way better than the 39 mm. My only experience with full sample sets.

If I win big this weekend (playing tonight and tomorrow night) I still might. The odds are not in my favor :)

Seems to be a concensus, so far, to keep the chip size consistent and that 43mm is fine and the way to go. That's where I was headed, but I have a habit of second-guessing myself.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom