Thoughts on mixed HSI / Jack Cinci set..? (1 Viewer)

I ended up going in a totally different direction - lol. Although I thought the set worked, I just honestly did not like the Jack $100’s.

I ended up selling the Jack $100 & $500’s and made a small stakes cash set out of the HSI’s. I was able to get most of chips from TCR which made it worth keeping them :cool

I went in a different direction for the tourney set and just went with HS Cinci as they are still available. Now I’m focused on a Chuck’s cash set which was totally unplanned - but I just dig those chips - lol.

Here’s the HSI small stakes cash set. Using the $25’s as quarters.
View attachment 706646
I too passed on the Jack chips. my issues were inconsistent edge molds between denominations and I am not fond of the "micro dot" either. Also having a large HSI set also negated my need for more chips.
The $100 black/pink chip is an interesting one and they work. The primary $100 Irish spot chip is neat but the green blends with the $25. Overall it's a set I'd be happy to play with at a friends house but I wouldnt go to lengths to own one, to each their own.

The HSI's are the first paulson's ice owned other than a big Pharaoh set years ago that sadly was sold to to pay for other things and a good return. I like the HSI chips more than I did the Pharaohs...probably because I'm an old horseman at heart.

Yes - I agree. The set worked, but in the end it was “just a set” vs something that I really loved. The small HSI set I kept was more about those chips being so cost friendly (at least at the time) compared to other options. It’s a fun set to break out for a friendly small stakes neighborhood game, etc. My primary focus now is finding some good $1 options for these!

TBH - I really can’t explain why I like these so much, I saw the $25’s in one of WW’s editing sales and at first glance had to have them - lol. The rest is history- lol. (I just found ~80 more of the $5’s and $25’s :D )

Attachments

• E676145F-81AE-4F18-8426-35DA0D3A751A.jpeg
    E676145F-81AE-4F18-8426-35DA0D3A751A.jpeg
    144.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 97FC0BEF-1D4E-45A7-9661-10E2E049492B.jpeg
    97FC0BEF-1D4E-45A7-9661-10E2E049492B.jpeg
    81.4 KB · Views: 60
  • AD7935DC-E986-4D37-8324-8C48968CBCA4.jpeg
    AD7935DC-E986-4D37-8324-8C48968CBCA4.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 62
I too passed on the Jack chips. my issues were inconsistent edge molds between denominations and I am not fond of the "micro dot" either. Also having a large HSI set also negated my need for more chips.
The $100 black/pink chip is an interesting one and they work. The primary $100 Irish spot chip is neat but the green blends with the $25. Overall it's a set I'd be happy to play with at a friends house but I wouldnt go to lengths to own one, to each their own.

The HSI's are the first paulson's ice owned other than a big Pharaoh set years ago that sadly was sold to to pay for other things and a good return. I like the HSI chips more than I did the Pharaohs...probably because I'm an old horseman at heart.
That is why I love this hobby, so many options and everyone has much different tastes.

I love the Jack Cincinnati chips and either than the JD primary $100, I think I prefer the Cincinnati over the Detroit (I have both sets) in the $25+ denoms. For both sets I think I love every chip in the set.

For me the HSI lost me at the higher denoms (pri/sec $1k and pri $5k, the secondary $5k is amazing). Lots of good chips, but as a set it doesn't do it for me. I do love the sec $5s and $25s and bought a cash set for that reason.

When you mostly buy chips (like me), then having others not like what you like definitely has an advantage price wise and for availability.

The primary $100 Irish spot chip is neat but the green blends with the $25. Overall it's a set I'd be happy to play with at a friends house but I wouldnt go to lengths to own one, to each their own.
This is very much how I feel about things:

The pink sec cinci $100s are nice, but are a bit too mint to fit in with the rest of my set. The pri cinci $100s are fine, but the edgespots spot just don’t *pop* like the HSI pri $100s do compared to the HSI pri $25s.

Short of finding a good deal on another 60 HSI primary $100s, here’s what I’ll probably do:
-Keep the HSI primary $100s that I have, and use those for all of my $1/1 to $1/3 games, since I doubt I’ll ever get more than a barrel into play at those stakes
-Murder/relabel a rack of primary cinci $100s and maybe a barrel or two or primary cinci $500s to have on hand If ever find myself hosting a game that needs that many high denomination chips. I agree completely that it’s not my “ideal” solution, but it’s hard to justify spending $3–5 per chip on chips that may never leave the case.

I’ll probably never play those stakes at my own games, but have offered to deal at some friends’ and coworkers’ games that allegedly play up to $5/10.

If/when I ever get around to murdering and relabeling, I’ll absolutely post some pictures here.

Does anyone have a picture of Jack $5 with a HSI $5 over label? I was wondering how it looks.
I have a limit set with HSI 1a and HSI $25's. I have 2 racks of Jack $5's coming in the mail.
Maybe I'll keep the Jack's in their original form and play them with the 1a's. Just thought I would see what thoughts are out there.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom