Thoughts on late cancellations and no shows? (1 Viewer)

MrCatPants

Full House
Reaction score
I've just recently started my home game, using a core from a now defunct home game with another host plus some new players. I've been fully booked each game so far, and so end up turning people away/refusing vetted guests. Unfortunately, I've also had several late cancellations as well as a no show, and also someone who took a seat to just play for an hour (didn't bust out or win big and want to bank, just wanted to swing by after work and head home early - like a happy hour).

Ideally, I'd like a full game, and to not turn people away who wanted a seat. How have you all handled our now, what seems to be, flakier human condition? Do you use wait lists? Somehow punish late cancellers (I'm a bit hesitant to do this with the game just starting out, don't want to kill it.) Something else entirely? Torn between seeming draconian or being loose and having games without as much money in play as they should have.

Your advice is much appreciated.

Last edited:
Personally, for no shows, you'd automatically be off my list of invites. I'm talking about no texting/calling/messaging me that you couldn't show up. Cancellations/life happen and imo it's just a courtesy to let me know. It can be a pain in the ass managing a home game but you tend to learn who's committed to play cards and who isn't.

With the game just starting out your hands are kind of tied. Eventually you learn who is reliable within your core group of players. Once your learn that. Send them the invite first. Whoever doesn't commit within a few days, then send the invites to the rest of your group.

I actually have three tiers of players. I have about a dozen or so that if they commit, they come. If they cancel, it isn't because something better came up. Its because its serious. If the table doesn't fill after a few days I send the invites out to the second tier of players. The third tier of players on my invite list are guys that only play once a year, or prefer lower stakes. I try not to invite them to games where they will get eaten alive at the table.

Personally, for no shows, you'd automatically be off my list of invites. I'm talking about no texting/calling/messaging me that you couldn't show up. Cancellations/life happen and imo it's just a courtesy to let me know. It can be a pain in the ass managing a home game but you tend to learn who's committed to play cards and who isn't.

As for now shows, I'll give you a couple of shots. If you repeatedly no show/no call, then I agree. Your off the list. I've only had to do that to two players. A good friend of mine called me 45 minutes into the game to apologize for not showing/calling. He had walked into his father n laws house and found him dead from a heart attack.

Have any of you had the issue with the player who just floats in and floats out - takes like 1/6 of a seat, but still took a seat?

Running tournaments puts the nix on the floating in/out player.

If it's even remotely possible, set up an overflow table and then over-invite. Most players will be happy to sit at a padded kitchen table just to be at the game. In time you will know who your core players are and who your flakes are. My flakes get B-listed. Most of the time they don't get invites anymore because A-listers take up all the seats.

If possible run 2 tables. You only need 12 players to start. Then as players bust you can always combine.

Another advantage to having 2 tables is you could have different stakes at each. Which could get more players in. When you combine the players at the lower stakes usually don't mind the bump up in stakes.

This all depends on what type of game you want to have.

If you build it, they will come. Build a nice game, it will be one that people won’t want to miss. If you have flakes, I’d make a point of advertising in the invite, that you typically have a wait list, so if they’re going to cancel, please let you know ASAP.

And for the one hour player, hopefully they get the hint that you game is popular, and they are taking a seat away from someone who wanted to play the entire night. If they don’t get the hint, I’d be blunt about my expectations. Tell em that you’re looking for solid commitments for the evening. Obv if someone busts out, then you don’t expect them to stay.

No shows without valid explaination don’t usually get second invites... late cancels are fine, but if I get someone who flakes out repeatedly with lame excuses, they’re also likely to be on my “only if I’m desperate” invite list...

Lame last second excuses =

I had a flat tire... last week (presumably used all his poker money fixing the tire?, but didn’t realize it unt8l 15 minutes prior to the game)

My GF doesn’t want me to play... (then why commit? If you need the GFs permission, get it first, then commit)

The winner....

Player’s ride over needed to stop and get groceries, then take said groceries to his house 30 minutes away, while driving right past my house (couldn’t stop); then after groceries, the ride insisted on making a stop to buy/smoke some weed, which the player participated in, but spent all his poker money on drugs.. then they tried to stop at an ATM to get more poker money, but his card would not work..

Ya, ok... easiest eleimination of a player from my invite list...

We had a new player on his first invite that said he drove 75% of the way (20 minutes) and noted that traffic was bad on the main highway, so he went back home. This was after he was told not to use the highway and to drive up road that parallels the highway that doesn't have any traffic.

I know it doesn't beat the weed / ATM story, but still. We also had a new player commit and not show until I texted him..and he noted he had a job interview. The next time he did text and cancel after committing. He's now on that "third tier" if that.

I agree with defining the core group, inviting them first and making sure you have enough for a game and then send out an invite for the 2nd tier, and then the 3rd tier to fill in the extra spots, if needed. I want players that want to be there most of the night and play...as most of us hosts do.

Have any of you had the issue with the player who just floats in and floats out - takes like 1/6 of a seat, but still took a seat?

No sir. I have had players do that. They always inform me ahead of time. They usually offer to forfeit their seat on their own if someone wants to play/commit to all night.

I recently did this at @bonesnjnts place. I let him know when the invites went out that I had to leave by 11. I reminded him the day of the game, and when I got there.

I am pretty new to hosting as well so I find this discussion interesting.

I am loose so far with people flaking out. The problem is some of my friends that I like are actually pretty damn flaky. One of the guys that I really like hanging out with almost always shows up 1 hour late. I am not complaining about it. I more or less just accept it and roll with the punches.

My plan going forward is to run 2 tables when required and then at worst have a game with 5 people. Momentum is kind of an interesting thing. Once you reach that tipping point where people want to come then everyone wants to bring a friend and your event becomes the destination for that evening.

My invite list right now is 16 people and maybe 4-5 never even bother to RSVP. Hopefully over time we can refine this down and maintain some committed players. I honestly don't mind some flakes as long as they are cool when they actually show up and this assumes we have enough people to get a good game rolling.

EDIT: My theory with starting out is get everyone in the door. Anytime someone wants to bring a friend I try to say yes. Sometimes the friend they bring is cooler and less flaky than my initial invite. I want to get my game as much exposure as possible at the outset and then over time I can hone down my crew. Like anything there is growing pains. My first event I had 2 good friends cancel literally last minute and the only reason the game still ran was because someone brought 2 friends...

The winner....

Player’s ride over needed to stop and get groceries, then take said groceries to his house 30 minutes away, while driving right past my house (couldn’t stop); then after groceries, the ride insisted on making a stop to buy/smoke some weed, which the player participated in, but spent all his poker money on drugs.. then they tried to stop at an ATM to get more poker money, but his card would not work..

Ya, ok... easiest eleimination of a player from my invite list...

That's awesome. I work in HR and have piles of stories like this one. Some people are flat out amazing - the "underbelly of humanity" as it were.

One of the guys that I really like hanging out with almost always shows up 1 hour late.

That is the beauties of a cash game. Of course if your playing short handed then I guess this might be a problem. I usually have 4-6 guys show up on time. Actually an hour or so early. A few of us usually get together for dinner before hand. Then the rest of the players show up when they show up. If their going to be late (Andy and Kris), they usually tell me ahead of time.

I have about 30ish people on my invite list. When I send out invites to the first dozen, the table usually fills up (or comes really close to it).

That is the beauties of a cash game. Of course if your playing short handed then I guess this might be a problem. I usually have 4-6 guys show up on time. Actually an hour or so early. A few of us usually get together for dinner before hand. Then the rest of the players show up when they show up. If their going to be late (Andy and Kris), they usually tell me ahead of time.

I have about 30ish people on my invite list. When I send out invites to the first dozen, the table usually fills up (or comes really close to it).

Yeah I hear ya. One thing about hosting a regular game too is that to regularly get 5-8 guys to play your invite list needs to be a lot bigger. Even if 2 or 3 of your regs can't make it its important to have some other options. I really like the idea of having an A list and a B list... I might start using that approach.

PS. I am not presuming to tell you something you don't know...more just thinking aloud.

If a player knows in advance that they'r only staying for a short time, tell your players to keep you informed ahead of time.

Keep a list & wait list, in order of when they've notified you, including players that might be 'maybes' or late arrivals -- they're on if a seat is open for them at at later time. I've played in games that start at 6, but I can't make it until 8 pm, where I let the host know, and by 7:30, if there's a seat open at 8, he'll let me know yes or no, or if he knows someone's leaving at 8:30, he'll text me to come by then. But I know that there's a chance that the 1-table game will be full by then, and I won't have a seat, especially if there are others on the wait list before me.

Last edited:
I had a player last game (tournament) email and ask if it was ok to be late. I said sure, and he said he would be there at 8 (7pm start). It’s a tad before 8, and says closer to 8:30. Sure. 8:20, get an email “on my way”.

Guy never showed up. I don’t kick people off of my list generally, but he is getting close

I’d say tardiness deserves a stern admonishment and maybe a bit of public humiliation, but anyone who fails to show up at all is pretty much just asking to be flogged.

I had a player last game (tournament) email and ask if it was ok to be late. I said sure, and he said he would be there at 8 (7pm start). It’s a tad before 8, and says closer to 8:30. Sure. 8:20, get an email “on my way”.

Guy never showed up. I don’t kick people off of my list generally, but he is getting close

Tournaments are different than a cash game.

I know there are discussions about whether late tournaments registrations get a full stack or not. In my game, if you commit to a seat, you get a stack at your seat when the tournament starts. If you get there late, you are blinded off. If you're not there by the end of the first blind level (20 minutes), your stack comes off -- unless you prepay. Usually, someone (typically the host) will offer to cover the non-prepaid late player if they are a known commodity -- and its usually preceded by texts that confirm they are coming. We've never had it happen where a someone covers and absent player and they don't actually show.

There is a no-show and late cancellation penalty (negative last place points) and also a rule that if you are being blinded off, you can win prize money but don't get any points for your finish. We had to institute that rule when a guy went all in and lost and despite having his opponent covered, got pissed and left. He has never been invited back and that was about 6 years ago.

Gosh darn it. Had a game last night - 2 cancellations with less than 24 hours notice and a no-call/no-show. This time I at least didn't turn away people because we weren't quite full to start with, but still.

I feel like an old fogey...did people used to be less flaky, back in the day?

Back in my day, if you didn't want to go, but you already committed, you went - and we liked it! We liked it just fine!
grumpy-o.gif

I have one guy that never confirms that he is coming but shows up 70% of the time. What do we do then ?

I’d say tardiness deserves a stern admonishment and maybe a bit of public humiliation, but anyone who fails to show up at all is pretty much just asking to be flogged.
I’m late for a lot of things in life, but a poker game? Never.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom