Thoughts on a new table (1 Viewer)

Kliptick

Reaction score
I bought a new house and with a new house comes a new game room. My first table I built got lots of use but is beat to all hell now so it won't be making the trip to the new house. I don't have the money to finish off my basement yet. But I can at least get a new poker table started so I can get some games going. I was hoping to run an idea by everybody to see what you think. You should be able to get the idea from the pictures. Each grid line is 1 inch so each player will have 2 feet of elbow space. It will have a black padded rail and black padded playing surface. Pretty standard. But here is where it gets interesting with the race track. I want to cut 8 individual pieces of wood and stain them weathered grey. The pieces wouldn't be straight but kind of wavy almost. Then take a blow torch to the edges of each section to burn them. Then evenly space them out accordingly so I can put crushed red fire glass in between each section. Then fill and cover the race track with clear epoxy. Then put LED strips on the outside and inside of the race track to light up the fire glass sections. It should create a glowing lava effect like in the picture. Looking for your thoughts or suggestions. I was going to make this my winter project as soon as I can afford to get the materials needed. I have never used epoxy like this before so here is hoping for the best. If I decide to do this I will be taking lots of pictures to share.

Thanks.

Poker Table 2.jpg
Lava.jpg

I dunno. Looks fantastic from an art piece point of view, but I think you may find some real play issues if you have undermount lighting. It may make the board and the rest of the cards very hard to read. Have you tried/tested this out?

Oh, congratulations on your new house, and welcome to PCF!

Haven't tried anything yet, just a thought for now. I was kind of thinking the same on the being too distracting thing and that's why I was asking. Maybe I will put this idea on the back burner and save it for my bar top instead.

@mudhog

Perhaps could help you with ideas and design...he literally designed his own octagonal beast that he just took delivery of not 2 weeks ago. Built by none other than TChan of course!!

Welcome to the forum! Another Wisconsinian....is that a term?

The fire glass idea is cool but it will make chip counting more difficult, especially when lit up. Congratulations on the new house also.

I bought a new house and with a new house comes a new game room. My first table I built got lots of use but is beat to all hell now so it won't be making the trip to the new house. I don't have the money to finish off my basement yet. But I can at least get a new poker table started so I can get some games going. I was hoping to run an idea by everybody to see what you think. You should be able to get the idea from the pictures. Each grid line is 1 inch so each player will have 2 feet of elbow space. It will have a black padded rail and black padded playing surface. Pretty standard. But here is where it gets interesting with the race track. I want to cut 8 individual pieces of wood and stain them weathered grey. The pieces wouldn't be straight but kind of wavy almost. Then take a blow torch to the edges of each section to burn them. Then evenly space them out accordingly so I can put crushed red fire glass in between each section. Then fill and cover the race track with clear epoxy. Then put LED strips on the outside and inside of the race track to light up the fire glass sections. It should create a glowing lava effect like in the picture. Looking for your thoughts or suggestions. I was going to make this my winter project as soon as I can afford to get the materials needed. I have never used epoxy like this before so here is hoping for the best. If I decide to do this I will be taking lots of pictures to share.

Thanks.

View attachment 348690View attachment 348691
ChanMan just built this custom table for me. I did the design and specs and he built it for me from the drawing I sent him. He did a awesome job. It is a 10 seat table. 72" at widest part. I can help you with a design and drawing if you like.

Attachments

• 70932743_2462269820696346_2856417662911643648_n.jpg
    70932743_2462269820696346_2856417662911643648_n.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 112
  • 70895380_2457382401185088_1951666451068747776_n.jpg
    70895380_2457382401185088_1951666451068747776_n.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 103

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom