Thoughts about a custom CPC set (1 Viewer)

Anteln

Waiting List
Reaction score
Hi!

I have been thinking about a set from CPC for a while now and have started modeling it, but i would love to hear some advice on the set. It is quite inspired by the InPlay set of chips as i like the simplistic layout. I am also a sucker for patterns... but not sure it is easy to pick up or not.

I have ordered a couple of sample sets from Apache and CPC (but not the full color package yet as i wanted to know what i wanted first) and now i have settled on the CPC chips. The color sample set will be ordered and after that I might make a few corrections on the colors. I have currently only used weighted colors, not sure how I feel about the brighter / classic colors yet.

The basic idea is:
120x .25 (#1)
280x 1 (#2)
400x 5 (#3)
300x 25 (#4)
200x 100 (#5)
100x 500 (#6)
140x 1000 (#7)
60x 5000 (#8)

The above as I want it to be usable as both a tournament and cash game set, it will most likely be an order of around 1600 chips (or more).

As my name starts with an A I am using the A-mold, and there will be an inlay of some sort with a cigar and whisky tumbler / sniffer depending on what I can get. The value will also be visible, but I have not decided on how as of right now.

Might as well go in with a bang... right?

1624226643743.png

1624226676179.png

1624226708971.png

Will be interesting to see your opinions, thank you!

Again, this is all my opinion but that’s way too many chips. Even for cash/tourney. I’m a fan of 4 chip sets. 5 max. But that’s me. It could be because I drink a lot though so less for me to think about ha.

Congrats on choosing to go with CPC. I recommend getting a mold sample set as well, because they do feel different and you may end up preferring something other than the A-mold.

Color schemes like this are pretty common for people starting out, but you can do so much better. And there are plenty of spot patterns to choose from, so don’t limit yourself. I went through a phase like this as well, but the amount of options available is overwhelmingly plentiful and it would be a shame not to take advantage of that IMO. Take your time and enjoy the ride!

Congrats on choosing to go with CPC. I recommend getting a mold sample set as well, because they do feel different and you may end up preferring something other than the A-mold.

Color schemes like this are pretty common for people starting out, but you can do so much better. And there are plenty of spot patterns to choose from, so don’t limit yourself. I went through a phase like this as well, but the amount of options available is overwhelmingly plentiful and it would be a shame not to take advantage of that IMO. Take your time and enjoy the ride!

This is a good point. I've built a few custom sets. The journey is one of the most enjoyable things about the process

My own general guidelines for colour choices are as follows:
- base colours of adjacent denominations should have maximum contrast between them when possible
- edge spot colours should not be too close to a base colour within 2 denoms of each other
- edge spot colours should not be too close to another edge spot colour within 1 denom of each other (depending on complexity of pattern)
- edge spot patterns should be unique between each denom* (this does not mean there must be an obvious discernable progression)
- better to have chips that look pleasing to the eye than to follow a rigid colour progression (i.e. Vegas or California or other, by tradition or law)
- have a finished idea for an inlay before finalizing any chip colour choices
- take your time

*often this guideline can be broken if designing a tournament set that has all the same edge spot pattern or uniform or varying colour

There’s nothing wrong with them as individual chips but as been pointed out you will have dirty stack issues with the colors being way too close to each other, go with contrast!

Most use some kind of spot progression i.e. making the spots ingreasingly complicated with every denom. There are so many options, play around with the design tool. Take your time! Listen to advice from experienced members and make it your own. There may be some tough love but it’s all designed to help. I ended up a lot different than where I started when I posted my first mock-ups.

I would definitely get a mold sample as well as a color sample. There’s plenty of differencies between molds. Personally I’m not a fan of the A-mold but it does have the advantage of always being mounted and running. I waited July to June for my scrown order.

Good luck!

Since I’ll take any chance to post mine:

6D38D3DF-CFA1-4BF6-9427-D7B231E64094.jpeg

Thank you for all the feedback, i love all feedback, even some tough love. How would you progress if not for some tough love now and then? :)

My opinion is that the mold should match the theme. If your theme is your name, then perfect. But don’t choose it just because it’s your name. Also, the theme should be personal. Whisky/cigars seems generic. Is it personal? Also, it’s a snifter, not a sniffer.

Well, I do love whisky and cigars, so in that way it is definitely personal but you do have a point that the mold should match the theme. I will have to think about that a bit more. Ive been looking at various sets here for inspiration, but maybe i am just too limited in my imagination still. Anyway, i am in no particular hurry to get the set done so i will take my time with it.

And thank you for correcting my swenglish translation of the glass type, might explain why i did not get a match on google. :)

Again, this is all my opinion but that’s way too many chips. Even for cash/tourney. I’m a fan of 4 chip sets. 5 max. But that’s me. It could be because I drink a lot though so less for me to think about ha.

The idea was to be able to use it for both (with a lot of spares), why not take a few hundred extra when you order anyway.
But i think it was something like this:

Cash:
120x .25
280x 1
400x 5
300x 25
100x 100

Tournament:
300x 25
200x 100
100x 500
140x 1000
60x 5000

I basically took this thread https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...ut-a-cash-game-chip-set-5c-10c-to-5-10.30897/ and this thread https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/tournament-set-denomination-recommendation.26947/ and then made sure the set supported everything listed. I will be splitting it up in more manageable (and smaller) sets when playing, do not want to drag along 1500 to 2000 chips each sitting. But i like the flexibility. And since the freight and customs will be a pain id rather just order once. :/

I would definitely get a mold sample as well as a color sample. There’s plenty of differencies between molds. Personally I’m not a fan of the A-mold but it does have the advantage of always being mounted and running. I waited July to June for my scrown order.

Good idea, will definitely get a mold set as well.

This is a good point. I've built a few custom sets. The journey is one of the most enjoyable things about the process

I will definitely not rush through this, I want to be happy with my set, or this whole process will be wasted. Thank you for the encouragement! :)

My own general guidelines for colour choices are as follows:
- base colours of adjacent denominations should have maximum contrast between them when possible
- edge spot colours should not be too close to a base colour within 2 denoms of each other
- edge spot colours should not be too close to another edge spot colour within 1 denom of each other (depending on complexity of pattern)
- edge spot patterns should be unique between each denom* (this does not mean there must be an obvious discernable progression)
- better to have chips that look pleasing to the eye than to follow a rigid colour progression (i.e. Vegas or California or other, by tradition or law)
- have a finished idea for an inlay before finalizing any chip colour choices
- take your time

*often this guideline can be broken if designing a tournament set that has all the same edge spot pattern or uniform or varying colour

My idea regarding the base colors was to go for the standard colors as far as possible, i.e. white 1, red 5, green 25, black 100, purple 500, yellow 1000 and brown 5000. The one i made up myself is the .25 as is grey. Might change that to pink or blue instead.

This is why i wanted to ask for advice in this forum, lots of great thoughts here and I think the post quoted here is a great example of that. I will definitely steal a few of these ideas, but not all. I am a fan of following the standard colors as far as possible, but i will definitely redo the colors of the edge spots.

I do want a uniform set, so might not vary the spot patterns, but will put an extra effort into the edge spot colors instead.

Also, yes, the inlay will be included in the final design before the set is set in stone (or clay).

Most use some kind of spot progression i.e. making the spots ingreasingly complicated with every denom. There are so many options, play around with the design tool. Take your time! Listen to advice from experienced members and make it your own. There may be some tough love but it’s all designed to help. I ended up a lot different than where I started when I posted my first mock-ups.

I will absolutely listen and improve, the design process is definitely a big part of the enjoyment of a custom set and i plan to enjoy every step of the way. :)

And now a questions from me, where do you all see the most lack of contrast between the chips? Brown, black and grey? As in for the base colors, or are the biggest problem the edge spots? (I will rework all the edge spots, thank you for the comments.)

I will consider all ideas of course, but i will make sure to make the set mine as well. But who knows, i might change my mind on some basic decisions in the future. But for now i think i just have two such basic decisions:

• I want a set that follows standard colors
  • I want a uniform set regarding layout

Guess that will make the color decisions even more important though... what a project i have started! :)

Seems i cannot edit my post any longer, just wanted to make a clarification. I want a set that follows standard BASE colors. So the two denominations that i need to find a color for myself seems to be the .25 and the 5000, as there is no standard for the .25 but brown seems to be common for the 5000 (even though i do not really like brown myself).

I've built 4 custom sets and have assisted with multiple other custom sets. I recommend finding a very small group of chippers that you respect/like/have a relationship with, ect....to be part of your design team. As the "creator" of the design you may have tunnel vision on the product, whether its the colors/edge spots, or the inlay. Ultimately you have to make the final decision. When I did my customs it was very helpful to have experienced chippers to tell me that some of my ideas were fucking stupid. In the end I was able to put together some very fun designs.

Orange 5k is pretty common, which is basically just a brighter, more vibrant brown. ;)

And now a questions from me, where do you all see the most lack of contrast between the chips? Brown, black and grey? As in for the base colors, or are the biggest problem the edge spots? (I will rework all the edge spots, thank you for the comments.)
The problem is that the 1/2/3 and the 4/5/6 all use the same colors gray/red/white and green/black/lavender so when you drag a pot and stack them you will not notice if denoms are mixed i.e. dirty stacks. You should try to avoid repeating the same colors, especially with denoms close to each other

Ever hear the proverb “measure twice, cut once”?

Your first CPC custom set proverb should be “measure 18,264,658 times, cut once”

Don’t rush it. Your first mock up will always be your worst if you’re new to using the chip tool

I don't exactly disagree with the advice you've been given, but I think the 1/2/3 and 4/5/6 color progressions are pretty neat.

Yes, yes, dirty stack blah blah, but I don't think that particular issue is so severe in this case that it should override your aesthetics. Using a color scheme like this is a choice; the repetition of the three colors in three different but symmetric patterns across three chips has a certain feel to it, and if that's the feel you're shooting for in this set then by all means embrace it. But do it deliberately, not because you feel like you have to - any more than you should avoid it because you feel like you're not allowed to.

Also, your name starting with an A is as fine a reason to use the A-mold as any other. Just make sure you're very happy with the choice.

Likewise, the theme doesn't have to be "personal". You're under no obligation to make chips that reflect your favorite memory or place or activity or person or whatever. The theme only has to be appealing to you, and you alone. In fact, you don't even need a theme; I think that's an overused concept among custom set designers, although I certainly understand why it's very popular. The Inplays don't have a theme, they have a style, and there's nothing wrong with making a custom set that has a style you like but can't otherwise get.

Spot progression is likewise an overused concept. Many tournament sets use identical spots across the entire line-up, and there's no rule that says you can't do the same thing with cash sets. But again, make it a deliberate choice, knowing full well that you have other options.

Even if you do decide to have different spots on different chips, that's still not a compelling reason to have the kind of spot progression many people here advocate for. @Poker Zombie said it well: "Put your favorite spots on your workhorse chips." (read the whole thing)

Satisfy your own aesthetics, not anyone else's, not even the overwhelming majority's. Fly your flag proudly.

I don't exactly disagree with the advice you've been given, but I think the 1/2/3 and 4/5/6 color progressions are pretty neat.

Yes, yes, dirty stack blah blah, but I don't think that particular issue is so severe in this case that it should override your aesthetics. Using a color scheme like this is a choice; the repetition of the three colors in three different but symmetric patterns across three chips has a certain feel to it, and if that's the feel you're shooting for in this set then by all means embrace it. But do it deliberately, not because you feel like you have to - any more than you should avoid it because you feel like you're not allowed to.

Also, your name starting with an A is as fine a reason to use the A-mold as any other. Just make sure you're very happy with the choice.

Likewise, the theme doesn't have to be "personal". You're under no obligation to make chips that reflect your favorite memory or place or activity or person or whatever. The theme only has to be appealing to you, and you alone. In fact, you don't even need a theme; I think that's an overused concept among custom set designers, although I certainly understand why it's very popular. The Inplays don't have a theme, they have a style, and there's nothing wrong with making a custom set that has a style you like but can't otherwise get.

Spot progression is likewise an overused concept. Many tournament sets use identical spots across the entire line-up, and there's no rule that says you can't do the same thing with cash sets. But again, make it a deliberate choice, knowing full well that you have other options.

Even if you do decide to have different spots on different chips, that's still not a compelling reason to have the kind of spot progression many people here advocate for. @Poker Zombie said it well: "Put your favorite spots on your workhorse chips." (read the whole thing)

Satisfy your own aesthetics, not anyone else's, not even the overwhelming majority's. Fly your flag proudly.
Yes, obviously do what feels right for you - it’s your set. But there are some general pit falls that can be easily avoided. The important part is to let it take time. Whatever path you take with them, you will likely change your mind several times over.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom