Thoughts: 5c vs. 10c chip (1 Viewer)

Papasatyr

Two Pair
Reaction score
As I gear up for my first home game in years, next question...

We will likely be playing $0.50/$1 limit mixed games. For stud games, that’s a 10c ante. 5c chips are more flexible and easier to make change for, but 10c chips are more convenient.

As a player, which would you prefer?

If 50c/$1 are your limits, you don't really even need the 5c or 10c chips. Any blinds limit game is 25c/50c blinds (25c chip needed), and any stud game the bringin is 25c, and you can just have a dealer ante of 50 cents.

I vastly prefer ante/bring-in to a button ante or full-bet bring-in. When custom set time comes, I will be including a rack or so of either dimes or nickels. I’m happy with either.

Just wondering What might be best received by players in general.

With those limits, if we must have the 5c or 10c chip, you clearly want the 10c chip. Nobody will ever use the 5c chip by itself for anything.

The only arguments for a 5c chip are if the limits switch to 25c/50c for "let's try new games" night. Or, if your players like having lots of chips and would enjoy having 200 nickels on the table to splash around. I'm particularly fond of the second argument.

We will likely be playing $0.50/$1 limit mixed games. For stud games, that’s a 10c ante. 5c chips are more flexible and easier to make change for, but 10c chips are more convenient.

I cannot see any advantage in using the 5¢ chip in the game you describe above.

The only possible reason for going the 5¢ chip route is if you are planning on (or think there's a chance of) spreading a 5¢/10¢ NL/PL game eventually. And even then, you might be better off playing 10¢/10¢.

I cannot see any advantage in using the 5¢ chip in the game you describe above.

The only possible reason for going the 5¢ chip route is if you are planning on (or think there's a chance of) spreading a 5¢/10¢ NL/PL game eventually. And even then, you might be better off playing 10¢/10¢.
I agree, the only advantage to a 5c is if I play $0.25/0.50 with somebody. Knowing my peasant friends, that’s not out of the realm of possibility, but I’m leaning towards the dimes.

I agree, the only advantage to a 5c is if I play $0.25/0.50 with somebody. Knowing my peasant friends, that’s not out of the realm of possibility, but I’m leaning towards the dimes.

25¢/50¢ Limit? And then the antes would be 5¢?

I play .50/1 mixed regularly.

I use a 10c chip for 10c ante with 20c bring in.

ORRRRRRR

I use a button ante that varies based on # of players dealt in plus a 25c bring in:

7-8 : 75c
4-6 : 50c
2-3 : 25c

Which I use just depends on my mood and how much stud I anticipate playing. If a lot of stud, then 10c chips.

Last edited:

What is preferred is actually dependent on the rest of the set. If the rest of the set is quarter, dollar, $5, then a nickel chip fits it best. Some people here have sets that are dime, half-dollar, $2, 10. Those sets a dime make sense. It depends on the rest of your set. If you have and use a quarter, then a nickel makes more sense.

FWIW I am considering adding a non-denominated chip for my set that can switch between 5c and 10c instead of having one or the other or both

What is preferred is actually dependent on the rest of the set. If the rest of the set is quarter, dollar, $5, then a nickel chip fits it best. Some people here have sets that are dime, half-dollar, $2, 10. Those sets a dime make sense. It depends on the rest of your set. If you have and use a quarter, then a nickel makes more sense.

The dime/0.50 set makes 0.50/1.00 a 1/2 chip game, which many here would not like as its not very many chips on the table. My vote is .05/.25 and ante two nickels, makes the pot look bigger.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom