Thought I was just crazy until I found this place (1 Viewer)

Camerasniper

Waiting List
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and let me say how glad I am to be a part of this community. I have been a casual no limit hold'em player on and off throughout the years, and have always enjoyed watching WSOP on TV and youtube clips. Recently a bunch of my friends and I have been really getting into home cash games. I host a fair amount of them as I have just finished re-felting an old poker table that was gifted to me from a family member.

I have been relatively hesitant to invest too much money into poker supplies (chips, cards, etc) because I'm not sure how long my friends will remain interested in poker and I would hate to drop 100s into something that wont be used. I was able to re-felt my old table for under $50. In terms of chips, I currently am using those generic dice chips that you could find at any walmart pretty much. I have pretty much been looking at chips online here and there trying to gather information almost daily for the last month or so, and even though every logical part of my brain is telling me "you already have chips, you dont need to spend money on new ones," I just have this odd obsession/fascination with poker chips. I thought I was being weird until I found this community, and let me say I am so excited to learn more from you all about the chip world and hopefully one day I'll be able to get some nice chips whether they be custom or not.

every logical part of my brain is telling me "you already have chips, you dont need to spend money on new ones,"

If you're using WalMart dice chips, this thought process is flawed! :D

Welcome aboard, open your wallet nice and wide!

Welcome! That’s our kind of weird, you’ll fit in nicely here!

Welcome to the funhouse. What limits do you play? How many players at your table?

Would love to see some photos of your re-felted table.

Enjoy the ride here!

Reel him in y’all
17C43DD6-9DDA-4CD5-AE77-C8B668CE59BC.gif

Welcome! I’m one month in and like $300 bucks just gettin different types of chips because I want to start hosting.

Welcome to the funhouse. What limits do you play? How many players at your table?

Would love to see some photos of your re-felted table.

Enjoy the ride here!

Thanks for the welcome! We play with anywhere from 5-10 players (usually get games with at least the same 6 guys and then there are some fringe players who come and go). We are are all pretty young in our careers (all of us are young 20s) so we arent playing for super high stakes, just a $10 buy in and the blinds are 10/20 cents. We play at least once a week so I guess I could justify buying some chips, but I want to learn as much as I can on this forum before making any moves. I've attached a photo of the re-felted table.

Attachments

• IMG_20200921_162627.jpg
    IMG_20200921_162627.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 99
I have been relatively hesitant to invest too much money into poker supplies (chips, cards, etc) because I'm not sure how long my friends will remain interested in poker and I would hate to drop 100s into something that wont be used.

Welcome to the forum. My wife wishes that I only dropped 100s...

First come the Paulsons, then relabeling them, then murdering them and then customized chips. I fell down the same rabbit hole and I’m so far down I don’t wanna come out. LOL

welcome to the sickness. I have thousands of chips and I don't even really play poker. from what i noticed so far you CAN NOT go wrong getting a good set of chips. Paulsons are the biggest commodity here and they seem to retain their value for the most part. You can think of it as renting them indefinitely if your game falls apart..lol. Many good peeps here will give you great advice.
Happy Chippin :cool

P.S. stay away from Garden City, Roadhouse, AND Horseshoes (especially Clevelands)!!!! lol.... just kidding

I have been relatively hesitant to invest too much money into poker supplies (chips, cards, etc) because I'm not sure how long my friends will remain interested in poker and I would hate to drop 100s into something that wont be used.
If this is a real concern then consider ceramics. Quite durable and extremely cost effective compared to a lot of things found here

I hate to be the one to break it to you but you are crazy. It just so happens most of us are too! Welcome!

Oh trust me, my girlfriend has already told me how crazy I am. I'm just seeking refuge here. Pray for me if I actually buy anything expensive.

... even though every logical part of my brain is telling me "you already have chips, you dont need to spend money on new ones," I just have this odd obsession/fascination with poker chips.

Great intro post. As for the above quote, wait until that side of your brain compels you to, "Buy now, think about it later." (Credit to @FordPickup92 for that one. I saw her post that somewhere once and I was like, yep, makes perfect sense to me!)

Great intro post. As for the above quote, wait until that side of your brain compels you to, "Buy now, think about it later." (Credit to @FordPickup92 for that one. I saw her post that somewhere once and I was like, yep, makes perfect sense to me!)
What can I say, its true. Plus you can always resell lol

Thanks for the welcome! We play with anywhere from 5-10 players (usually get games with at least the same 6 guys and then there are some fringe players who come and go). We are are all pretty young in our careers (all of us are young 20s) so we arent playing for super high stakes, just a $10 buy in and the blinds are 10/20 cents. We play at least once a week so I guess I could justify buying some chips, but I want to learn as much as I can on this forum before making any moves. I've attached a photo of the re-felted table.

Great way to start! Table looks great - nicely done on the re-felting.

There are lots of knowledgeable chip-heads here, and a wide variety of opinions on what everyone likes. If it hasn’t been said yet, try to pick up some various samples so you can actually feel/shuffle/stack them. You’ll be glad you did.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom