This will be my Home Tourney set (2 Viewers)

Personally, I think no design at all would be better than 《 and 》, which are basically interchangeable due to the sash design.

Maybe ☆ and ◇ work better, or ○ and □ ?

I can't show them all. There actually aren't that many solid stock designs from my store because my favorites were not very popular with poker players/collectors. I truly dislike traditional poker chip designs. I try to make a completely unique chip, but they are rarely well-received in these communities. I will show some customer-favored designs here though.
• One is a Monogram design - it was a semi-custom option. Customers could change the letter in the monogram and choose any color scheme/denoms.
• The Phil Chips are my first full set design from about 20 years ago for a billiard hall that I also did the logo for.
• The Eleventh Hour design is a completely stock design - no mods - it had ten different natural materials and no denoms. Customers would choose the 'colors' they liked and build their own sets. It didn't sell well as a stock design. Many customers wanted to customize it, but I couldn't do it as easily with this design so I would've had to charge a bit more to customize it. It still sold, even internationally, but I think only a few sets of this one were sold.
• The 2nd Stone design was a 100% custom design that was never printed (so I can show it without worry). I lost the original design files in a hard drive crash. All I have now are some images I recovered from emails we exchanged. This image shows what the faces would have looked like with aligned and non-aligned edges. looking at it today, I'm glad we never printed it. It would have printed too dark and muddied the details.

I can't show my 100% custom designs that printed. Those folks asked for and paid for a 100% custom design that nobody else would have. Even though I know nobody here would steal the design(s), once it's on the web it's immediately stolen (as is the fate of the images I show below). It's a risk every artist in any field takes these days.

Anyway, here they are. Enjoy (or not).
That skull/water blue chip is gorgeous, good on you dude.

Ok, I changed the font of the denominations to the same font in the center of the chip. This afforded me a few more glyphs and a better alphabet. I tried X and XX, but didn't like it. I tried A1 and A2, I liked it only slightly better. I also tried a small symbol that I do not know the name of and I used it as the X and XX and liked it better than either before it. I may stick with those. Here are the images of the 'A' version and the symbols version. Thoughts? preferences? Thanks.

Attachments

• 3rdStreet_AltSet.jpg
    3rdStreet_AltSet.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 87
  • 3rdStreet_AltSet2.jpg
    3rdStreet_AltSet2.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 80
This will be my home tourney set. It isn't very flashy, but I wasn't going for that. I just wanted something simple. I will also be using the same set for cash games, so I put the lower denoms in. I know I'm gonna get roasted over the blue chip (.25), but I didn't want to use currency symbols, so I had to run it that way. This used to be a template design of mine and I'd change only the name of the poker room for customers. Because people outside of the US bought my chips, most of my designs were without currency symbols. Since I quit that business I decided to change the colors and make a full set just for me. I never had my own set. My only goals with this set were a simple design and all denoms should be easily discernible in low light. 1000 and 5000 are probably the only ones to get mixed up, but I still doubt it. It will all depend on how well they print. I know they won't print anywhere near as colorful as this, so we will see. Anyway... let's hear the hate for the .25 chip (I'm open to suggestions, but 1/4 or and adding currency symbols doesn't work either). I have considered leaving it blank, which I may do (it can fill different roles then). Let me know.

View attachment 1078374

**EDIT: DISREGARD I SEE THESE FRAC IDEAS WERE TRIED IN POST #14.

A leading zero before the decimal point might help the decimal point stand out. Do "0.25" instead of ".25" if you are able to make the change.

That's what I did on my fracs (see "Free River Club: edition 2020" in my signature.). I also did superscript after the leading zero, but that effect wouldn't work vertically.

One other thought. Do a horizontal line fraction.

--

Or

---

It would stand out as the only chip with horizontal numbers, also indicating it's a fraction.

Lastly. When you do quantities, you should just reserve the fives for cash play and do your tournaments with base 25. You could order a small quantity of denom 20 chips for cash for quarter stakes anyway.

Then you don't have to fear any crossover. Even something as innocent and a red chip falling during the tournament and being picked up at cash time.

I really like this design, if you are open to feedback on the fraction hopefully suggestions help.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Ok, I changed the font of the denominations to the same font in the center of the chip. This afforded me a few more glyphs and a better alphabet. I tried X and XX, but didn't like it. I tried A1 and A2, I liked it only slightly better. I also tried a small symbol that I do not know the name of and I used it as the X and XX and liked it better than either before it. I may stick with those. Here are the images of the 'A' version and the symbols version. Thoughts? preferences? Thanks.
I don't like using the same symbol on both chips, nor do I like A1 and A2 (again, same symbol/letter on both chips is a no-go to me).

Either leave 'em blank, go with A and B (or X and O), or use two distinctly different symbols (with common names).

Why? Ease of use when defining values:

-- "the blues are 25c and the yellows are $20"
or
-- "the A chips are 25c and the B's are $20"
or
-- "the circles are 25c and squares are $20"
or
-- "the cresents are 25c and stars are $20"

In each case, the difference between the two chips in question is both simple and clear.

I love the design. Way better than anything i own for sure. One word of advice however, we avoid using same kind/color of chips in any cash game that are used in the tournament. We all want to think our friends are honest, but one bad apple or even an honest mistake will cost you. We play cash as soon as 4 people bust out of our game, but i have a completely separate set and colors for cash. Long story but, i lost $200 when cashing out once when we used the same $100 chips.

I love the design. Way better than anything i own for sure. One word of advice however, we avoid using same kind/color of chips in any cash game that are used in the tournament. We all want to think our friends are honest, but one bad apple or even an honest mistake will cost you. We play cash as soon as 4 people bust out of our game, but i have a completely separate set and colors for cash. Long story but, i lost $200 when cashing out once when we used the same $100 chips.
Thank you. We actually do have a 'cash' set of chips for the nights we play tournaments. It's our old drugstore style (plastic, red white and blue chips) that we've been using since we were 12-13 years old. My lower denoms of this set are more for when we play straight-up cash games to start. Most of our crew like the cash games over Hold 'Em, so we play a lot of that. When we play hold 'em tourneys, we will likely have another set of chips for the background cash game. I just wanted this set to cover all of the bases for whichever game we decide to play that night. If we didn't have the vintage set of cash chips that night, we would still use these. Our games are never high stakes games and there is only one person who we'd have to watch. And he's not about the money, he just wants to say he won. He'd likely try to cheat if we were playing with peanuts and almonds even if he had a nut allergy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom