This is where Bergs posts the NCAA 2017 Locks (1 Viewer)

bergs

Royal Flush
Reaction score
So I've posted similar threads the last 2 years here and 4-5 years prior to that over on the Failed Blue Wall, but I wanted to take a moment to share the BERG PLAYRIGHT system for the first 2 rounds of the NCAA tourney. I'll post my locks on the Tuesday after Selection Sunday (March 12th is Selection Sunday, and March 14th is Tuesday after).

What do we look for in NCAA tournament games when wagering? The answer is "A lot". The first thing you need to do is pay the $9.99 for the month of March for an ESPN Insider membership. This will pay for itself on your first wager. We're going to use it extensively.

What's next? We evaluate games and cull out those that we know we're not going to give action on. Specifically:

- Any game involving a 1 seed - throw it out. We don't want it.
- Any game with a spread of more than 15 points - get rid of it. Very difficult to determine how these games will go.

You're going to be left with about 25 of the 32 games slated for the first round. Now we want to fire up ESPN Insider and start doing our homework.

1) Evaluate all of the teams that shoot 67% or less from the line. You might bet on their game, but you'll be betting on the other guys. These teams are TORTUROUS to watch in the last 2 minutes of the game when they're barely covering but start clanging free throws. You don't want to bet on teams that build houses from all their charity stripe bricks. Cross them off.

2) Evaluate all of the starting guards on the remaining teams. Circle the ones that have freshman and sophomore guards. I'm not saying that we're crossing them off, but we're going to need some pretty compelling reasons to bet on them. You want 3 year starters in your backcourt. Turnovers will kill you stone dead in the Tournament.

3) Evaluate those teams that are playing in the tournament for the first time in more than 3 years. Put a square around them. We *might* be wagering on them, but if they also have freshman or sophomore guards and you circled them before, you can cross them off now. Two strikes and you're out in the wagering business.

4) Evaluate the head coaches - do they have tournament experience? Put an asterisk next to the ones that don't have any tournament experience in the last 5 years. If you're putting an asterisk next to a team that has a circle around it, cross them off. It's bad enough having inexperienced guards bringing the ball up the court in a tight game in the Tournament - when they jog to the sideline during a timeout, you want a coach that has been there before to calm them down and get them to manage the game.

You're going to be left with about 8 teams. These are the teams we're going to look at more carefully.

Firstly - what's the line? I love, love, love, love the games where one of our remaining teams is a 3-7 point dog playing against a "known" school. Here's an example from last year:

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...-posts-the-ncaa-2016-locks.11076/#post-164741

LOCK OF THE DAY: Northern Iowa +5 versus Texas. NI shoots 10% better from the FT line, doesn't turn the ball over much, has 2 senior guards that run the team, a tournament tested coach and squad who won their opening game in the tournament last year, and they beat North Carolina, Iowa State, and Wichita State this year. They've also won 6 of their last 7. Texas starting center is hurt and hopes to play 15-20 minutes, and Texas is 1-4 in their last 5 NCAA tournament games. Texas also has a rookie coach. Love love love Northern Iowa here.

Northern Iowa won the game on the floor 75-72.

Secondly - what's the trend? As indicated above, you want a team that is playing well going into the tournament - don't worry so much about their conference tournament - you want to look at their last 4-6 games in the regular season. If they limped into the Tournament, it's probably for a good reason (stopped listening to the coach, injuries, etc). If they're playing well heading into their conference tournament, then they have the momentum they need to make a run in the Big Dance.

Thirdly - what's the rest of the story? Are there injuries on either team? Any drama in the news about critical players? A lot of people make bets purely on this kind of information, but this sort of thing is largely irrelevant to us if the game doesn't fit our parameters.

Lastly - take note of the teaser opportunities. Say you find two teams that fit the desired profile but the lines are +2 and even. Don't forget that you can tease these two teams and work those lines up to +6 and +4 (or higher if you want to pay more juice).

The teasers are particularly important given that the media pays more attention and gives more credence to the schools from the smaller conferences now. Back in the days of the Big East and the other Major conferences, the teams from smaller conferences never got wagered on because they were considered second class squads. As a result, the lines were better and it was easier to make money on them. You didn't have to tease two of them to work the line to the +4 or +5 that we want. Nowadays everyone knows about the Vermont Catamounts and the Wichita State Shockers so we have to get creative to work playable lines.

Remember, a lot of these games come down to free throws in the first round. It's upset city and even the teams that are supposed to win don't win by much. Everyone is playing tight and the younger teams (even from the big schools like Kentucky) are nervous. You could do passably well betting just on senior guards and good FT shooters and ignoring everything else, but there is a wealth of information out there. Use it to your advantage and focus on making anywhere from 2-5 really good big plays on Thursday and Friday and you'll do well.

Good luck! Look for my picks next Tuesday.

It's more of bracket advice than wagering, but it's also worth noting that at least one 12 seed always beats a 5 seed and 10 seeds have a better record than 7 seeds. There is a lot of value in the 10-12 seeds but the 13-16 seeds are generally losers. The 8/9 game is almost always a tough bet.

The Northern Iowa game I gave as an example above was a 6 seed versus an 11 seed. We feast on the 4-8 point underdog, good free throw shooting 10-12 seeds that have senior guards, a coach with some tourney experience, and played well going into the tourney.

Go get 'em.

bd5c993bd2f7dd946103619d8e40b81a.jpg

Wow.

Lines are still coming out from South Point, Treasure Island, and some of the other Vegas properties that typically publish early, but based on a couple hours that I've spent on ESPN, I can't find any locks. There are 4-6 games where I really like one side of it, but they rely on a tourney-untested guard and a young backcourt, or shoot 65% from the line, or haven't been to the tournament in 15 years.

Never seen matchups like this in the last ~20 years. There were a few years where I made money on parlays because the games looked so good. Last few years, it's been teases to get games to a line I like. Feels like the public is finally giving the mid-major and small conferences the respect they deserve and it's showing in some of these lines that would've been 6-8 points different 5 years ago.

Still looking, but so far, tread lightly kiddos. Not a lot of value that I can find at first blush.

Example - I want to like someone in the Rhode Island/Creighton game - I really do. But you have a team that shoots less than 65% from the line in RI (one of the worst in the nation) and this will come to bear in the waning moments of a game. On the other hand, you have a Creighton team that went 8-7 in the 2nd half of the season after losing a key player. I don't want to blast off money on either one of these valuless plays.

These type of games are all over the board this year. Weird year.

@bergs I have a co-worker who is rock solid convinced South Carolina is a lock against Marquette and he dropped an absurd amount on it. Of course this is the same guy who has Chelsea versus Man U today as the third game in a $3k parlay, so he's not necessarily averse to variance.

Chelsea is on top of the league by quite a bit, so I'd imagine they would be favorites today.

I have some picks I'll share tonight. I've looked at Thursday pretty thoroughly. Haven't sniffed Friday yet.

I think the play this year isn't to find the perfect teams in regards to the betting system (senior guards, tourney experience, good FT %s, good recent record). There just aren't any teams that match this profile this year. Weird.

The play this year is to find teams with big lines that they need to cover who have a marked vulnerability. Poor FT shooters and need to cover 11 against a good mid-major team that meets 3 or 4 of the 5 criteria. Let's hammer it. Team needs to cover 10.5 and they have freshman and sophomore guards with zero tourney experience and haven't been to the Big Dance since their new coach started, and the opponent's strengths play to their weaknesses but the opponent is a virtually unknown team. I'm on board.

I'm not advocating giving the opponents of Kentucky, UCLA, Arizona, et al any action. Forget the statistics and the periphery - if those top tier teams get going they can run any first round opponent out of the building by 25.

More tonight but look for more 9-12 point lines than I've had in the past (previously it was usually 4-6 point dogs as the sweet spot).

We'll find our gamboool yet, comrades.

Chelsea is on top of the league by quite a bit, so I'd imagine they would be favorites today.

And Man U has some very solid players out today. He's a fairly big favorite I'd imagine.

Buzz and Virginia Tech could be a good play. WIS -5 and 64.4% from the Stripe. Hayes and Happ not good at all from the line now. Senior guards and a team that has been there for Wisconsin. Played very bad the last 8 of the season. If they win it will be close and I don't think they will cover.

I'm just fed up with idiots doing the seedings. Wichita State as a 10 (and a bigger favorite than any 6, 7, 8 or 9) is bad enough... then you also get inexplicable ones like Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Better record - Wisconsin

Better Big10 record - Wisconsin

Better Big10 tournament finish - Minnesota didn't win a game, Wisconsin lost in the Championship

Heads up - met twice, Wisconsin won both.

Seedings?

Minnesota #5
Wisconsin #8
(And as a Buckeye I hate Wisconsin basketball)

Get rid of the teams of morons figuring this shit out and find one unbiased expert to do it.

/endthreadjack

I'm just fed up with idiots doing the seedings. Wichita State as a 10 (and a bigger favorite than any 6, 7, 8 or 9) is bad enough... then you also get inexplicable ones like Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Better Big10 tournament finish - Minnesota didn't win a game, Wisconsin lost in the Championship

Seedings?

Minnesota #5
Wisconsin #8

Get rid of the teams of morons figuring this shit out and find one unbiased expert to do it.

/endthreadjack

The Committee actually does a fairly good seeding the tournament. There are other factors that conference play and head to head matchups. Strength of schedule, RPI, injuries, common opponents, lots of stuff plays into it.

Seedings?

Minnesota #5
Wisconsin #8

/endthreadjack

Minnesota beat Michigan state in the quarters, and looked pretty good doing it.

I am a huge Badger fan and they looked horrible coming down the stretch. Loosing a few games they were double digit favorites in at home. They can play like they did agains Northwestern they can win a few in the tourney but, the recent history is they deserved the seed they have and who they will play. Rant over until they loose to Virginia Tech...

THURSDAY EARLY GAMES

Notre Dame -6.5 vs Princeton
Both teams play a very deliberate, low scoring offense that won't generate big runs of point swings. 6 points is a big spread in this game. Princeton has 3 starting sophmore guards but the offense flows through senior forward Spencer Weisz. Notre Dame has a major advantage in rebounding and shot blocking with junior phenom Bonzie Colson, and has senior guards with deep tournament experience (3-1 last year) distributing the ball.

CONSENSUS: I like the Notre Dame play alot, even though ESPN Insider has Princeton predicted to cover. I think we need to parlay this with another game that we like but need to move the line on. Note that I went into this wanting to pick Princeton - but the factors just don't add up and actually pointed me the other way. Also note that this line is dropping and may be ND -6 or -5.5 by the time you read this.

THE PLAY: see below

Virginia -7.5 vs UNC Wilmington
This line is also dropping like a rock - from +9 to +7.5 in just Monday morning. Virginia lost 6 of their last 9 but has senior guards, an experienced coach, and a 6-3 tournament record over the last 3 years. UNC Wilmington gave Duke a scare in the first round last year before losing and has a senior/sophmore starting backcourt. UNC Wilmington really hasn't played anyone, either. Virginia had a brutal conference schedule, losing to #1 Villanova by a bucket, beating Louisville, Notre Dame, and UNC in the last month. I went into this wanting to select the trendy UNC Wilmington pick, but I'm coming out of this wanting to tease Virginia to bring this line down.

CONSENSUS: We're going to wait and let the public load up on UNC-W to bring the line down, and then tease Virginia and Notre Dame down to -2.0 or less.

THE PLAY: $50 tease on Notre Dame -2.0 and Virginia -2.5. If you can't get them this low, then just lay off these games, as tantalizing as Princeton and UNC-W may seem.

Winthrop +11 vs Butler
Butler is literally limping into the tourney, having won only 5 of their last 10. Butler can be dangerous though, having beat #1 Villanova a month ago by 8. They finished the season with horrible loses to Seton Hall and Xavier. Winthrop has won their last 9, including their conference, feature experienced guards (SR & JR), and play an up-tempo offense. They struggle with teams that feature size. Butler isn't a large team either. Both team's best rebounder is 6'8" and feature short guards (5'7" for Winthrop versus 5'11" for Butler). Butler is also riding a cold shooting streak having hit just 25% total treys in the last 2 games. Both teams shoot FTs well. Butler has an experienced coach and should win, but they have to cover a big number here against the proverbial good mid-market team that shares the same weaknesses and strengths.

CONSENSUS: Winthrop +11. That's going to be a big number to cover here for Butler. If this is a 7-8 point game in the last 2 minutes then Butler might break your heart at the line, but if it's a closer game than that the FTs shouldn't be prominent. I looked at the money line for a long time for this game (+540) but I just don't think Winthrop can beat them on the floor.

THE PLAY: $100 straight on Winthrop +11

....more to come.

Gonzaga vs. South Dakota State
We don't bet on or against 1 seeds here. Too many points, too much heartbreak. Move on.

Bucknell vs West (Press) Virginia
Too big a line for West Virginia to cover. They could win this game by 12 or by 20 pretty handily, depending on how Bucknell's experienced but tourney-untested guards handle their ubiquitous press. Let's lay off and find value elsewhere.

East Tennessee State vs Florida
ETSU has won 9 of their last 10, as opposed to a Florida team that has only 1 win in their 3 games. Florida has senior guards, but no tourney experience in the last 3 years, putting them on par with ETSU. ETSU is big in the middle and also features an experienced floor general in TJ Cromer, but their weakness is getting sloppy with the ball. They struggle against good defensive teams - of which Florida is not one. They lost their best defensive plauer in Egbunu a couple weeks ago and haven't figured out how to stop teams yet. Most importantly, Florida has to cover a huge number here (10 points). Neither team has a tourney-savvy coach. This is the classic matchup of 2 teams that are probably pretty evenly matched but one is from a big conference and the other is largely unknown.

CONSENSUS: ETSU should give Florida a game. Feels like a 4 or 5 point Florida Gator escape.

THE PLAY: $50 on ETSU +10

Middle Tennessee vs Minnesota
Only a 1 point spread (pick'em in some Vegas houses). Stay away and find value elsewhere.

Vanderbilt vs. Northwestern
I'd rather watch my hair grow. Another 1 point spread with 2 bad teams. Let's move on.

VCU vs. Saint Mary's
Saint Mary's only losses in their last 10 games were to #1 Gonzaga. VCU limps in having won 3 of their last 6 and can't beat tourney-level teams (losses to URI, Dayton, and URI again in the last month). Saint Mary's shoots better from the line, has 2 very experienced guards that distribute the ball well and don't turn it over, but don't have much tourney experience. VCU has recent tourney success with senior guards.

CONSENSUS: This game could go either way. I don't like the O/U in this game either. Both teams play to their opponent's pace and it feels like a 67-63 game with a -4.5 Saint Mary's line and a 129 O/U. One less game we have to follow on Thursday.

....Thursday evening to follow.

Xavier vs. Maryland
Do you want the team on the 3-7 skid or the team on the 4-6 skid? I don't want either one. I'm going to bet on me not betting on this game with a measly 2 point spread.

FGSU vs FSU
FGSU is riding a 7 game winning streak (granted against inferior opponents). They have a Jr/So guard combo and a coach with some tourney experience, and played their way into a 16/1 seed matchup against UNC last year. Both teams shoot 70+% from the line. FSU lost 4 of their last 8 (granted one of those was Duke) and has a young team, starting 3 freshman. They have no tourney experience in the last 5 years.

CONSENSUS: I like FGSU to cover 12 points here. I think this Seminole team may get rattled if the game is close late.

THE PLAY: ESPN has the ROI on the FGSU Money Line (+$640) at 98%. I've never seen one that high and I've looked at almost every game this year. I'm taking a $50 flyer on the FGSU money line to win a cool three hundo plus.

Virginia Tech vs Wisconsin
The Badgers couldn't find the hoop with radar and a compass right now. Wisconsin shoots horribly from the line (64% - might be the lowest in the tournament). BUT - this is a senior team who nearly won a national championship 2 years ago. There is a very real chance that these guys decide to turn it on now that we're in the big dance. V-Tech hasn't been to the tourney in a decade. This will be an oft-wagered game but it's actually not that easy to handicap.

CONSENSUS: Watch your friends lose their roll on either of these teams and giggle because you were smart enough to bet other games.

North Dakota vs Arizona
This is the 9:50pm game. Stay away. Do something else. Meet an interesting person. Have a few drinks. Have a good conversation. We don't do that often enough anymore. We're a society too obsessed with our phones, our computers, our own lives and the lives of others, lived through an electronic medium. We need to experience nature more, on nature's terms. We need to....fuck, sorry. Someone switched ESPN to Oprah on the TV behind me. Fuck North Dakota. What's next?

Purdue vs Vermont
Who doesn't love themselves a good Catamount? Whats a Catamount, you ask? It's a large feline that can be saddled and ridden to a win when she gets eight and a half points, that's what a Catamount is.

Purdue has excellent free throw shooters but inexperienced guards and no tourney wins the last 2 years. Vermont has an excellent Junior playmaker in Trae Bell-Haynes and a very balanced attack with 3 players leading them in scoring 11-12 points per game. Purdue turns the ball over frequently and has gotten sloppy twice in their last 4 games, losing both to Michigan.

CONSENSUS: I want to get action on Vermont but I need a little more room

THE PLAY: See below. We're teasing this.

Nevada vs Iowa State
I love Iowa State. I like the way they play, I like the way they score, I like the way they play defense. I even like their logo, that plain-ass "I" with the inevitable "STATE" in ancient-ass font written across it.

They're going to play a very good Nevada team that hasn't been tested against anyone of quality. They both have experienced guards, both shoot well from the line (70-71%). Nevada has a young sophomore playing point guard, whilst Iowa State has senior Monte Morris leading the team in scoring and assists in a tough defensive-minded Big 12 conference. Iowa State has recent tourney experience. Nevada has none.

CONSENSUS: Put some money on Iowa State and do it quickly before the line moves to Nevada.

THE PLAY: I usually hate giving more than 2 points in the first round but we can tease this with our beloved Catamounts and make some money for late night flapjacks.
I'm teasing Vermont to +12.5 and Iowa State to -2 for $75.

THURSDAY PLAYS

TEASE $50 - Notre Dame -2 & Virginia -3 --- rating this a 6/10
ATS $75 - Winthrop +11 --- rating this a 7/10
ATS $50 - ETSU +9.5 --- rating this a 7/10
ATS $75 - FGSU +11 (NOTE: money line moved 100 points in the wrong direction; let's take the pts) --- rating this a 8/10
TEASE $75 - Iowa State -1.5 and Vermont +13 --- 9/10 - love this play

Michigan vs. Oklahoma State
Who's on a 3 game skid? Oklahoma State.
Who's got a first year coach? Oklahoma State.
Who hasn't won a tournament game since 2009? Oklahoma State.
Who's got a young point guard who turns it over alot? Oklahoma State
They shoot FT at a 78% clip but Michigan shoots 77%.

Who's on a 5 game winning streak? Michigan.
Who went 4-2 the last 3 years in the tourney? Michigan.
Who's got a coach with tourney experience? Michigan.
Who's got a senior point guard with a very low turnover ratio? Michigan.

Who we gonna bet on? Michigan.

THE PLAY: Gimme $200 on dem WOLVVVVVVVERINES -2 (we're gonna buy a point for $20 because losing by the hook sucks).

Baylor vs. New Mexico State
The line should be just about 12 in this game. Hey, look, Baylor -12. What? You're tempted because Baylor looked like the back of my nuts in their conference tournament and only has 3 wins in the last 6 games? Look again, my action-fueled friend. One of those loses was to a VERY good Iowa State team by 3. Another was a loss to #1 seed Kansas by a bucket. This is a good battle-tested tourney team. No value here. Move your interest elsewhere.

Rhode Island vs. Creighton
This game beckons to me like a siren call. And like a siren call from the days of yore, listening to it's sweet melody will end up getting you(r bankroll) killed in vicious, unspeakable fashion.

Rhode Island is hot. White hot. So hot that you may miss the fact that they haven't been to the big dance since the Lamar Odom days in the late 90s. Creighton is a enigma wrapped up in a fruity, juicy fig. Why a fig, you ask? Because like a fig, it sounds good, but once you bite into it, it's just jelly and bits. This is a team that plays in a really good conference, but they disappear for 10-15 minute stretches. I should know - I regularly lost money on them this year. You can't let the other team go on multiple 10-2 runs in the NCAA tourney. If you do, like a ship dashed against the rocks, all is lost. This is the sexiest game on Friday that we can't touch. Leave this for someone else to sink with.

Witchita State vs Dayton
I've looked at this game for 2 straight hours. It got more attention than any other game in the first round. The Shockers from Witchita have been DESTROYING their intra-conference opponents. They've covered 9 of the last 11 games, which is just ridiclous. They're riding a long winning streak. They shoot well from the line (almost 5% higher than Dayton). Christ, they're 30-4. They have 9 wins the last 4 years in the tourney. They do have a freshman guard, but he's backed up by a steady Junior with tourney experience in Conner Frankamp who transfered from Kansas after his Freshman year. Their freshman guard (Landry Shamet) is a great ball distributor and doesn't get rattled, having made only 35 turnovers in 34 games this year (averaging 26 minutes a game) versus 112 assists.

Dayton lost their last 2, lost their tourney opener last year, but has a senior guard.

I keep coming back to the line. I hate giving 6 points in the first round as many of the games are very, very close. But then I look at the Shockers 73% free throw percentage, with 3 starters shooting better than 80%.

This game will come to free throws, and the Shockers make theirs. I couldn't do it at 7, can barely do it at 6, and I can't find another play on Friday that I like but need points on to pull the trigger.

THE PLAY: I think this is a small play so you can kick yourself after and exclaim to your friends "OY, I SHOULDVE DROPPED A BOMB ON THE SHOCKAHS, KID".

Let's hit Witchita State for $50 ATS giving 6.

....More coming for Friday.

Marquette vs South Carolina
Marquette shoots 8 points better from the line. This is important.
The game is in South Carolina, where the Gamecocks hail from. This is not important.
Marquette is on a 4-2 streak with tough wins over other tourney teams like Creighton and Xavier. This is important.
South Carolina is on a 2-5 streak with losses to non-tourney takes like Alabama. This is also important.
Gamecocks is a great mascot. This isn't the least bit important.
Marquette has great interior defense, senior players at the 1, 2, and 3 positions, and tourney experience. Very, very important.
South Carolina has a sophmore running point with a lukewarm assist to turnover ration. Somewhat important.
South Carolina hasn't won a tournament game since 1973. Not sure if it's important, but it's amusing.

The line is Marquette getting 1.5. ML is +108. This is really important.

If this game is going to be as close as people think, it's going to come down (as more than half of these games do) to free throws. Marquette makes theirs, South Carolina clangs theirs. It's that simple. Plus the public is going to glom onto the 'Cocks because they're playing in the same state that they hail from. This time of year, nobody cares where the game is unless you have long travel times and travel problems.

Hit the Golden Eagles for a cool $50 and like 50cent, watch the money pile up.

FRIDAY PLAYS

JAM ATS $200 - Michigan -2 - best game in the first round - 9.5/10
ATS $50 - Witchita State -6 - I don't like giving this many points so it's only a 7/10
ATS $75 - Marquette +1.5 - I may pile more money into this as it's last game on Friday - it's a 8.5/10

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom