Thinking of buying a first set (cash). 5c or 25c? (1 Viewer)

Rymack10

Pair
Reaction score
Hey Everyone. Very new to the forum. I'd like to try and get some friends together to play poker a little more often. We've always used dice chips... at a friends house, but I think it could be fun to host and use some chips with denominations on them.

We are microstakes players and pretty casual. Normally we do $10 buy-ins and allow people to buy back in as many times as they want once they are out of chips. We usually have a range of people that won't buy back in at all and some they will buy back in 3 or 4 times.

Since we are using dice chips, we just give 50 chips for $10 buy in, this way we don't have to remember what value per color. A chip is just a chip. We start with 1/2 for blinds and up it as the night moves along. If someone does have to leave early they can get a buyout for each set of 50 chips they have for $10. If you have 180 chips, you get $30. The extra 30 chips just goes back to the bank and that extra $10 will go towards the person at the end. (I guess this is kind of a modified/tourney). A lot of times we'll get to the end and the remaining two players will agree to split the pot based on general chip amounts. This is why I think having a "Cash" set could be nice so people could leave after a few hours if needed.

Normally we can get between 6 to 10 players. My main questions is around a beginner set and what denominations to get. If I went with the normal 100BB scenario I'd get .5/.25/1/5 and play .5/.10. My question is would you go this route or get a set that is .25/1/5/25 and give everyone $100 in chips for a $10 buy in and play .50/1 for blinds?

It seems like the second option provides more opportunity for expansion or tournament play if we were to do that. I'll probably be looking to buy some metal slug or chinese ceramics from apache for this first set since we are very casual. Plan on ordering some samples soon. If I can get a reoccurring game going, I'd look to improve on those.

Thanks!

From what I can read you host tournaments mainly? That bit about buying back chips when someone leaves early is really confusing.

For cash game sets this guide is really helpful https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...ut-a-cash-game-chip-set-5c-10c-to-5-10.30897/

But it seems like you want a set that can be used for both cash and tournaments. What's your budget? I have a tournament set of 25/100/500/1000/5000, and I bust that out when I have some reaaally new players that want to learn the game. That way the T100s become 10c, T500 - 50c, T1000 - $1, and we play cash game blinds of 10c/10c with a $10 buyin. This set also works perfectly for tournaments too.

I think it would be helpful for you to identify a proper blind structure for your tournaments as well.
awesome video by Chris M. that I've based my structure around.

This is a really relaxed group and very very casual group. Some barely know the order that things go and we guide them through that.

The ideal scenario is for everyone to play until the end or the final two players decide to split the pot. But if someone has to leave early and has a sizeable chipstack, we often times allow them to "cash" out for however many full sets of 50 chips they have ($10 buys you 50 chips).

So let's say we have 10 players. All buy in just once, so $100 total in play. Player A has to leave early but has 130 chips. We give them $20 and they forfeit the fraction of chips left over. Now there is $80 on the table that people are playing for.

That's why I think this group would be better suited for cash games. Some of these players don't want to play for 4 to 6 hours, which is how long our games would often go.

OK I kind of see what you're saying now. It seems you're hosting a weird blend of cash and tournament. You're not supposed to be able to leave early and also cash out in a tournament, I would avoid that. Tournaments literally don't work that way, you play till the finish until one person is left standing (or if the remaining players chop the price pool). If you leave early you surrender your chip stack, the chips go back in the box/case and your money is left for the other people to win. It seems really really unfair that people can leave early in your tournament and 'cash out'. Your chip stack can fluctuate in tourneys but with the rising blinds, other people have a chance to win back those chips. I think it would help if you research a bit more on how tournaments work first (chip denominations/blind structures/payouts...etc).

So it seems cash games is the only logical way to go about this. That way people can leave whenever they please without making it super confusing. I would say to get a cash set for 5c/10c blinds following that guide I included above. Everyone buys in for 10 and cashing out should be fairly straightforward. Here is a set sold by BRPRO for a 500 chip set (https://brpropoker.com/collections/...ucts/copy-of-500-piece-dia-de-los-muertos-set). You could probably get away with a 300 chip set for your microstakes cash games.

Yeah this blend is something I definitely wouldn't suggest. I'm not hosting most of the time so I don't try to change any rules too much. That's why I figured cash would be better for us.

I do worry if we put specific "rules" in place and structure it could potentially scare off some of the limited experience players, but I plan on throwing the idea out to make more regular games happen and maybe get up to a little more structured environment.

You are technically playing 20c/20c 50bb short stack or 20c/40c 25bb super short stack cash game that penalties people if they don’t cash out in $10’s

A regular cash game buyin will be 100bb which in turn $10 buyin will be suitable for 5c/10c stake cash game

Not sure how much your budget is and how many chip set you going for

A 500 chip set breakdown for 5c/10c will be
5c x 100
25c x 200
$1 x 100
$5 x 100

If you on the Low budget end a 300 chip set will be
5c x 100
25c x 100
$1 x 60
$5 x 40

You are technically playing 20c/20c 50bb short stake game cash game that penalties people if they don’t cash out in $10’s

A regular cash game will be a 100bb which in turn $10 buyin will be suitable for 5c/10c stake cash game

5c x 100
25c x 200
$1 x 100
$5 x 100

5c x 100
25 x 100
$1 x 60
$5 x 40

This is kind of what I was looking for. Also just general opinions from users on preference of having exact denoms for cash ($10 buys you $10 in chips) vs something a little bit more flexible but works for cash ($10 buys $100 chips).

I know everyone says they are only going to buy one set and that's my mindset for now with this first set. I know if I can get a reoccurring game going and it takes off I'll dive more into the rabbit hole of building my own table and getting some nicer/cooler chips.

This is kind of what I was looking for. Also just general opinions from users on preference of having exact denoms for cash ($10 buys you $10 in chips) vs something a little bit more flexible but works for cash ($10 buys $100 chips).

I know everyone says they are only going to buy one set and that's my mindset for now with this first set. I know if I can get a reoccurring game going and it takes off I'll dive more into the rabbit hole of building my own table and getting some nicer/cooler chips.
If you clicked into the guide I mentioned you would've also found a chip breakdown.
Still not quite getting your exact chip thing, I'm guessing you mean use cash denominations for a tournament structure? That could work sure, just make sure you have the right breakdown.

If you clicked into the guide I mentioned you would've also found a chip breakdown.
Still not quite getting your exact chip thing, I'm guessing you mean use cash denominations for a tournament structure? That could work sure, just make sure you have the right breakdown.
I'm about to watch it in a few minutes. I may have seen that video already.

Forgive me if I'm not using the right terminology. I'm somewhat new to structured poker myself and learning.

And what I meant by exact chip, is if you have $10 buy-in you get $10 worth of chips. If you do $100 buy-ins you get $100 worth of chips. I assume that is probably how most cash games are, but you could also do a $10 buy-in and get $100 worth of chips. At time of cash out, you just divide the chips by 10 and you know their payout.

So my general question for everyone's opinion was around that. Paying $10 for $10 of chips vs paying $10 for $100 of chips and dividing by 10 at the time of cashing out. Since you'd probably never use .05c chips in a tournament it could make sense to have .25/1/5/25 and give $100 chips for a $10 buy-in so you can use your chips for a tournament style format as well as cash.

You are technically playing 20c/20c 50bb short stack or 20c/40c 25bb super short stack cash game that penalties people if they don’t cash out in $10’s

A regular cash game buyin will be 100bb which in turn $10 buyin will be suitable for 5c/10c stake cash game

5c x 100
25c x 200
$1 x 100
$5 x 100

5c x 100
25c x 100
$1 x 60
$5 x 40

^ 100% agree with this from start to finish

I have ordered a sample set of Majestics, I think I would prefer to go a little cheaper if there are some decent options with .05c chips. Are there other ones recommended that have .05c?

Why wouldn’t you just use a nickel in a tournament setting as well and save the headache during cash games? Easier to have your chips be exact.

5¢,25¢,$1,$5,$20!!!!
IMG_20211215_200220477.jpg
IMG_20211215_200153657.jpg
IMG_20211215_200409179.jpg
IMG_20211215_200527454.jpg
IMG_20211215_200619323.jpg
IMG_20211215_200756262.jpg

What chips are these? I love the $5 and $1 in these. Probably outta my price range right now, but they look great!

Why wouldn’t you just use a nickel in a tournament setting as well and save the headache during cash games? Easier to have your chips be exact.
Yeah I guess you could. I thought the tournament often times had higher chip values for fun. Once again I'm new to more structured poker and still learning.

What chips are these? I love the $5 and $1 in these. Probably outta my price range right now, but they look great!

Yeah I guess you could. I thought the tournament often times had higher chip values for fun. Once again I'm new to more structured poker and still learning.
Look up Cards Mold on here and rejoice. Take your time on getting a custom set,

Look up Cards Mold on here and rejoice. Take your time on getting a custom set,
Yeah I’ve read that a few times here. I’m open to spending a small amount on a “beginner” set from Apache before diving into customs. I think it’d help me learn about what I’d like.

Would also like to see if I can get a constant game going and see if that evolves into a more serious setup.

Are those custom colors you picked out or a set that was already designed?

Tournaments usually have higher denoms but yeah if you’re looking to keep costs down there’s no reason your tournaments can’t start at .05/.10 blinds and go from there

Yeah I’ve read that a few times here. I’m open to spending a small amount on a “beginner” set from Apache before diving into customs. I think it’d help me learn about what I’d like.

Would also like to see if I can get a constant game going and see if that evolves into a more serious setup.

Are those custom colors you picked out or a set that was already designed?
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/hardwell-underground-cash-game-omaha-ne.53822/

All questions answered here

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom