They said this was hold em… (1 Viewer)

Did this just become a real thing?
does the card look right? I mean hey I can add it, but I'd like to see how it plays and community feed back on if they really want it...

I like the 'WitchCraft' title for games that are ... in a prototype category

This is a known game. It’s called “Paralyzed Weightlifter”.
Cradrupol.jpg

Please tell me that’s a fixed limit game. That could get really expensive.
We played Cincinnati, no limit, but limited to 4 betting actions per round. Yeah, big pots.

So yesterday I got invited to a card game and I was told it was a Texas Hold Em Game. It was a bunch of older women (mainly) who were playing so I decided to give it a shot.

Well, when I get to the game, what they are playing is clearly not Hold Em. I’m going to try explaining this game to see if anyone has ever heard of this game before.

Everyone is dealt 3 cards to start the game. Then there is a round of betting. Next, 2 community cards are flipped followed by a round of betting. Then a 3rd community card is flipped followed by a round of betting. Lastly, a 4th card is dealt with no betting.

Here’s the kicker in the game. You can play any combination of 5 cards up to and including the 3 cards in your hand. I didn’t realize this until I watched the first hand. When there was 4 different cards on the table and one lady yelled full house, I almost collapsed. Like WTF is going on here :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: Also, one other rule that I’m not accustomed to (I’d usually call it weird but I’m trying to be a better man) is that if two players have 2 pair, the highest non paired card in your hand plays. It’s ummmmmmmm different.

Anyone familiar with this witchcraft?
Paging @MegaTon44....add this game to dealer's choice pls :love: :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

And add mandatory straddles

I once played a version of Omaha (I guess) that you had to used 3 hole cards (still dealt 4) at showdown. So trips in the hand is a monster.

I thought the person that called said it was Alabama something. I have never played it since.

I’m assuming there’s a bit of strategy that can be implemented in this game, but good lord. Any 2 connected cards means a straight is possible, a full house is always there. I mean good god man.

Everyone is dealt 3 cards to start the game. Then there is a round of betting. Next, 2 community cards are flipped followed by a round of betting. Then a 3rd community card is flipped followed by a round of betting. Lastly, a 4th card is dealt with no betting.

Here’s the kicker in the game. You can play any combination of 5 cards up to and including the 3 cards in your hand. I didn’t realize this until I watched the first hand. When there was 4 different cards on the table and one lady yelled full house, I almost collapsed. Like WTF is going on here :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: Also, one other rule that I’m not accustomed to (I’d usually call it weird but I’m trying to be a better man) is that if two players have 2 pair, the highest non paired card in your hand plays. It’s ummmmmmmm different.
Any game with X cards down and Y community cards with your best hand being made from any combination of down cards and community cards is a variant of Cincinnati.

Cincinnati is most commonly played under that name using five cards down and five community cards. The variation you played with four down and four community is sometimes known as Around the World.

Usually there's a betting round after every community card is dealt (or flipped and revealed; pre-dealing the board is common, unlike in modern Hold 'Em) but obviously changing that to 2-1-1 instead of 1-1-1-1 is an easy change to make. Edit: I didn't notice that in the game you played there was no betting after the last community card is revealed; that's a very uncommon variant.

I've never heard of the 2-pair rule you mentioned. I suspect it's a variant peculiar to this particular group of players, and probably arose from a misunderstanding of how poker hands are ranked under standard rules.

Last edited:
This game sounds

1657678874704.png

Don't like the weird rule about 2 pair, but as long as it's clear and logical, meh.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom