The Roost Table Build Thread (1 Viewer)

EventHorizonVII

Two Pair
Reaction score
Going to get the final pieces this weekend hopefully. I don't have a truck so that is entirely dependent on a family member coming through...can't imagine trying to fit 3 4'x8' 3/4" pieces of birch plywood in my sedan. :cool:

Happy to hear suggestions as I build, shooting for 4/7 as the first time this will be used, my birthday is 4/8 so how awesome is that?!

Gaming Surface courtesy of @T_Chan :
2018-02-06-17-00-06-jpg.152678

I will be building a 10-seat raised rail table. Using plans from http://www.buildyourownpokertables.com/ the plans seem pretty straight forward.

Building List (Not Fully Inclusive)

Some changes to their plans are that I plan on using t nuts to secure the rail/riser to the base so that I can easily resurface in the future if I wanted. I may also t nut the playing surface to the base sheet. That would allow me to make multiple playing surfaces for the future.

I will be routing the inside and outside top corners of the rail to give a softer curve when upholstering and hopefully just a more luxury feel.

May add RGB lighting to it since I plan on setting myself up for switchable playing surfaces. Trying to figure out if I need to route a channel around the table for a diffuse to sit in?

Hopefully this weekend I can get everything cut out of the sheets.

Going to get the final pieces this weekend hopefully. I don't have a truck so that is entirely dependent on a family member coming through...can't imagine trying to fit 3 4'x8' 3/4" pieces of birch plywood in my sedan. :cool:

Looks great. Don't forget Lowes and Home Depot will rent you a truck for $19.99.(y) :thumbsup:

Picked up sheets of ply today. Two are sheating at 3/4" and one sheet is sanded birch. So 3 total!

This was after driving 2 1/2 hours one way to get this guy...

DVA6Z7D.jpg

fLu5vaV.jpg

Lastly, my brother told me he had a spare table base structure I could use for the poker table. He works for Kincaid Furniture. Pic below shows the legs, sweet steal!

eEa2qBx.jpg

Sushi roll came this weekend. Not sure what I expected when I ordered but this was not it haha! Letting it air out for a few days. Hopefully smash things together this weekend with lots of pictures.

BvYL7nx.jpg

The base looks awesome. Once you get the taping loose on the foam and open the end of the bag, it gains volume pretty quick. Mine ended up airing for a couple weeks, but really only takes a day or two tops to regain its size. Looking forward to seeing the result.

Congratulations on the new addition to your family! The dachshund is such a great companion!

Lots of table build threads going on now. It is quite nice.
Considered putting it on pokertable.com, may still do that!

I do have a question for those who have built a table...what is the length you have used for LED lighting?

Well, I haven't done lighting, but assuming it is LED string, a 42x90 oval creates 220+inches of circumference, but that is the OD, and you have to subtract rail width etc.

Considered putting it on pokertable.com, may still do that!

I do have a question for those who have built a table...what is the length you have used for LED lighting?

There is also https://www.pokertableforum.com/ I have posted some of my builds over there.

For led strips, look you need about 6 meters (19.68 feet), I bought two 5 meter strips with all the power, remote, connectors for about $25 on EB, and cut off what you dont use.

You can find rolls that are 5 meters and buy a 1, 2, or 3, meter section, but by the time you just buy the 2 x 5 meter rolls with everything you need, its cheaper.

There is also https://www.pokertableforum.com/ I have posted some of my builds over there.

For led strips, look you need about 6 meters (19.68 feet), I bought two 5 meter strips with all the power, remote, connectors for about $25 on EB, and cut off what you dont use.

You can find rolls that are 5 meters and buy a 1, 2, or 3, meter section, but by the time you just buy the 2 x 5 meter rolls with everything you need, its cheaper.
Sounds good. Just wanted to make sure I ordered enough!

Well.. .I was able to cut a single sheet and then rain. Going to just cut them in the garage, saw dust be damned.

Router ready...
o3w7gDC.jpg

Going to mark the arc just in case...
9D9GecR.jpg

Time to hog it out before the cut...my helper decided he wanted a snack
TyYSaP2.jpg

Finally some good weather. Also, the circle kit from Milescraft is not as reliable as I thought. Got the job done but thank goodness for upholstery covering some things.

bSAz7kL.jpg

VKjn2c4.jpg

cKEgZvY.jpg

And label all the things..

XRwRNmS.jpg

Upholster tomorrow if I can, son had a tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy on Monday. So far he's been a champ but 3-4 days post op is when it gets rough.

Last edited:
Ended the day by going to a friend's who had lots of rough walnut. Few hours planing and routing, should be great for drink carts. Can't beat free.

Ov8XHY8.jpg

usAXzFK.jpg

Last edited:
Last of the table cuts with help. Upholster tomorrow hopefully Our little boy in the pic had a tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy but seems to be doing better.

Zz72Wtv.jpg

Building the rest today. Took a break to post some pics of the playing surface...

vhvD1fG.jpg

Cut to size...

WRKsQK1.jpg

This si going to look fantastic!

hqqLDDv.jpg

Pikachu promises he will help center it well.

f7oynsO.jpg

Centered

SiCcEkg.jpg

Staple line...Staple Pr0n?

BIniHJa.jpg

Rail next!!!

Speaking as a Baltimoron, I could not love a felt more than this one. This is fantastic and I wish I had come up with it first. Is there a chipset with that logo in the future?

Speaking as a Baltimoron, I could not love a felt more than this one. This is fantastic and I wish I had come up with it first. Is there a chipset with that logo in the future?
Thank you for the kind words and yes!

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/the-roost-baltimore-pride.26663/

On ice until I finish this and start saving again. Paying out of pocket for my boys surgery took the chip fund but that's alright! Right now I have poker knights, I think they will look good for now.

Table looks good. I like the colors.

One observation for others thinking about building a table, you can insert a 3/4" plywood spacer between the rail and the rail lip which will drop the side of the rail down and hide the edge of your table base.

Table looks good. I like the colors.

One observation for others thinking about building a table, you can insert a 3/4" plywood spacer between the rail and the rail lip which will drop the side of the rail down and hide the edge of your table base.

My plan is to do something similar. I will be laminating it with an ebony wood veneer. Just waiting for it to be shipped!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom