1667174223352.png

1667174268421.png

1667174339216.png

Attachments

• 1667174190313.png
    1667174190313.png
    206.8 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
I have at least one, and possibly two new variants of oversized Protégé chips to propose.

First, I found these oversized $5ks. Otherwise, they match the v3.

IMG_5882.JPG

Next, I found these oversized ND orange (arc yellow) chips with orange inlays. I don’t have any of the chips with orange inlays that have a normal diameter, but these are definitely oversized. Can anyone confirm they have an orange inlay chip with the normal diameter?

IMG_5877.JPG

IMG_5835.JPG

IMG_5836.JPG

IMG_5837.JPG

On a related note, as I mentioned earlier, I found a second instance of the v3 dealer button. The printing is unaligned, so I propose changing the v3 dealer button to unaligned. The first button I found must have been aligned by coincidence.

Finally, here's a family shot of one rack of each of the Protégé denominations, first without flash then with flash.

IMG_5711.JPG

IMG_5713.JPG

Next, I found these oversized ND orange (arc yellow) chips with orange inlays. I don’t have any of the chips with orange inlays that have a normal diameter, but these are definitely oversized. Can anyone confirm they have an orange inlay chip with the normal diameter?

Negative, just double checked the one I had in my sample set; never realized it but it's definitely oversized as well.

20221105_130244.jpg
20221105_130231.jpg

I did some experimenting with my camera today, and I hope to have more photos soon. I'll try linking to imgur photos in the post, and include PCF compressed images as attachments to mitigate link rot:

jkMperJ.jpg

ggBnIMh.jpg

Attachments

• 20221229_0004.jpg
    20221229_0004.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 20221229_0005.jpg
    20221229_0005.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 66
Beautiful pics @Split !!

Does anyone else think the 5K should have been another color? The color does it no justice. I wish it would have been the same base color as the $10.

When I posted my Protégé/Protege set earlier this year, I was just beginning to learn how to use a camera but didn't even know where to start for dialing in the camera settings. Unfortunately, the camera doesn't magically know that it's on a tripod shooting a stationary subject, so the camera's automatic settings dialed up the ISO so it could use a reasonable shutter speed with my dim lighting. On a 10+ year old entry level DSLR this wound up introducing significant noise to the photos. The conversion and compression to JPEG seemed to have softened or masked the most egregious noise, but the images were still full of noise. Since I'm not planning to drag the entire set out together for family photos again anytime soon, I was dissapointed by the relatively poor image quality. However, it turns out that software based denoising has gotten pretty powerful in the past few years. Denoisers will still degrade sharpness and introduce artifacts and they can make things look like plastic if they're too aggressive, but it seems like poker chips come out okay. I plugged my RAW image files into DxO PhotoLab and selected their fancy denoiser and left everything else at their default settings, which do things like correct lens aberrations and try to make things look nice. To my eye the default settings got a little aggressive with how bright they made the pinks, but I'm sure I can figure out how to go in and adjust that. All things considered I think the pics came out much better after the denoise processing. As an added bonus, the denoised images are much easier to compress in JPEGs, so I could use a higher "quality" while achieving smaller file sizes. I don't know anything about how image compression works, but in general this makes sense to me since noise should appear to be random and truly random data is effectively unable to be compressed with lossless techniques. It seems that JPEGs also struggle to efficiently compress noise with their lossy algorithms. At any rate, I like the pics. You can see the originals here.

V8vYPZ0.jpg
e39pvYz.jpg
pZwL03n.jpg
XhWQsbm.jpg
yeXsnGs.jpg
dpybI0C.jpg
UaCyMOd.jpg
EcJ5NKC.jpg
p8h4GHr.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6047_DxO-2.jpg
    IMG_6047_DxO-2.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6050_DxO-2.jpg
    IMG_6050_DxO-2.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_6053_DxO-2.jpg
    IMG_6053_DxO-2.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6057_DxO-2.jpg
    IMG_6057_DxO-2.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_6059_DxO-2.jpg
    IMG_6059_DxO-2.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6061_DxO-2.jpg
    IMG_6061_DxO-2.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_6062_DxO-2.jpg
    IMG_6062_DxO-2.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_6063_DxO-2.jpg
    IMG_6063_DxO-2.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_6064_DxO-2.jpg
    IMG_6064_DxO-2.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_6065_DxO-2.jpg
    IMG_6065_DxO-2.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6069_DxO-2.jpg
    IMG_6069_DxO-2.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 24
When I posted my Protégé/Protege set earlier this year, I was just beginning to learn how to use a camera but didn't even know where to start for dialing in the camera settings. Unfortunately, the camera doesn't magically know that it's on a tripod shooting a stationary subject, so the camera's automatic settings dialed up the ISO so it could use a reasonable shutter speed with my dim lighting. On a 10+ year old entry level DSLR this wound up introducing significant noise to the photos. The conversion and compression to JPEG seemed to have softened or masked the most egregious noise, but the images were still full of noise. Since I'm not planning to drag the entire set out together for family photos again anytime soon, I was dissapointed by the relatively poor image quality. However, it turns out that software based denoising has gotten pretty powerful in the past few years. Denoisers will still degrade sharpness and introduce artifacts and they can make things look like plastic if they're too aggressive, but it seems like poker chips come out okay. I plugged my RAW image files into DxO PhotoLab and selected their fancy denoiser and left everything else at their default settings, which do things like correct lens aberrations and try to make things look nice. To my eye the default settings got a little aggressive with how bright they made the pinks, but I'm sure I can figure out how to go in and adjust that. All things considered I think the pics came out much better after the denoise processing. As an added bonus, the denoised images are much easier to compress in JPEGs, so I could use a higher "quality" while achieving smaller file sizes. I don't know anything about how image compression works, but in general this makes sense to me since noise should appear to be random and truly random data is effectively unable to be compressed with lossless techniques. It seems that JPEGs also struggle to efficiently compress noise with their lossy algorithms. At any rate, I like the pics. You can see the originals here.

V8vYPZ0.jpg
e39pvYz.jpg
pZwL03n.jpg
XhWQsbm.jpg
yeXsnGs.jpg
dpybI0C.jpg
UaCyMOd.jpg
EcJ5NKC.jpg
p8h4GHr.jpg
Hang on while I get my sunglasses :love:

V8vYPZ0.jpg
e39pvYz.jpg
pZwL03n.jpg
XhWQsbm.jpg
yeXsnGs.jpg
dpybI0C.jpg
UaCyMOd.jpg
EcJ5NKC.jpg
p8h4GHr.jpg
wow sunglasses.gif

When Sidepot startet the sale for Protégé's they also had a nice marketing video...showing hu play with the Protégé Chips with an allin showdown where finally quads won over full House...with background music from U2 - Beautiful Day

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom