The Poker Boom Is Gone. Really. (3 Viewers)

Many people argue that the Moneymaker boom ended around 2008, but poker isn't dried up and never will be. We played stud every Wednesday from 1996 to 2002'ish and todays player pool is still 100x bigger than what we had to draw from back then. Comparing poker 2015 vs 2005, well shit yeah its different. Everyone played Holdem in 2005 but that was an anomaly.

Sometimes geography and social circles limit people to what games they know about or what players are around but games are out there.

Teach new games, Holdem is soooooo boring and mindless in my opinion

If you are hosting a holdem loving group, play your usual Holdem but mix in a few rounds of something new for lower stakes so people can learn.

agreed! i'd almost rather de-vein my own willie with a clam knife than play hold'em

I'm hosting a 25c/50c mixed game next month where players can experience Razz, 2-7 triple draw, omaha, or whatever other games they never play. Too many people trapped in the HE thing b/c of '03 boom, IMO. I'm going to inaugurate my new table with this game.

And yes, this is an attempt to get this thread back on track.

....To say that something is "Like having a caviar and champagne buffet for the homeless."
is to insinuate that homeless people wouldn't understand the monetary significance of being offered caviar and champagne at a buffet. Or worse, that they should not deserve such things. Even the very ignorant should recognize that....

I don't think that is insinuated at all. It might be inferred by some readers, but it is not necessarily implied.

I would interpret that sentence as suggesting that for the same money as caviar and champagne, a lot more homeless people could be fed solid, wholesome food.

In the US, on most social topics, political correctness trumps accuracy. IMO, there's nothing wrong with the word"retarded." The full expression is either "developmentally retarded" or "mentally retarded." The mistake most people make is applying that term too broadly, to people who have other, different, mental problems.

Fwiw, my wife is the legal guardian of her 66-year-old developmentally retarded sister, who, although she is mentally around 12-13 years old and totally incapable of independent living, is regarded by the state of Colorado as an emancipated adult.

I'm hosting a 25c/50c mixed game next month where players can experience Razz, 2-7 triple draw, omaha, or whatever other games they never play. Too many people trapped in the HE thing b/c of '03 boom, IMO. I'm going to inaugurate my new table with this game.

And yes, this is an attempt to get this thread back on track.

How convenient. I live in the same WA state as you. Location? This is enough notice that I could make plans to get there.

Where/How does this all end?
The day after human civilization falls, there will probably still be a poker game somewhere.

I've been involved in hosting some sort of home game since around 2000 or so. I'm thinking back and the longest interruption I can remember was a 4-month period when I took an internship. It probably helped that we played so frequently while I was in high school..that seems to have turned many of those people into long time lovers of poker. For that reason, it was always possible for me to get a game together back home. The players eventually became a blending of classmates and coworkers, and some of them would drive 2 hours (each way!) to play. That game may have endured another decade, except that I was the only one who ever hosted it, so when I moved across the country the regular games died. I was lucky enough to happen across a pre-existing home game here in Bellingham, and hope to help keep it alive for as long as possible.

I suppose there's really two sides to keeping a poker night alive. There needs to be a person willing to be proactive about getting games together. They need to develop the social aspect of the game so people will defend their poker nights a bit, even when life conditions changed. Then of course you need to have players for whom the game has some kind of emotional appeal. I don't know the secret to that, but it seems like each area has a certain baseline number of people who are into the idea of a poker night.

I will say that I haven't noticed the quality of cards, chips, or tables having much impact on keeping a game alive. The social aspect seems far more important.

We are having lunch today at a college town sports bar. It is early in the day and it is the sports-dead part of the summer. I can see eleven screens from my seat, three baseball, three talk shows, golf, a women's professional basketball game, an infomercial channel and two screens showing a WPT final table. Someone decides the channels need to be changed and they drop the two screens of poker replacing it with a fast-play replay of a women's softball game (not the home team, but the game ends in a 10-0 mercy rule shortened game) and a second screen of the WNBA game.

There was a day when that wouldn't have been the programing choice. The WPT rerun loses to infomercials, reruns of a women's softball game and a second showing of a WNBA game.

DrStrange

Fine with me, but now I'm curious how Montgomery county is sketchy?

Just saw this and am also scratching my head. MoCo is right up there with HoCo, one of the wealthiest counties in the country: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maryland_locations_by_per_capita_income

Btw, I host games every now and then and usually have an open seat or two. If any Maryland PCFer's are interested in being added to the invite list feel free to message me. I'm on the west side of Baltimore County but close to the edges of Carroll and HoCo.

I am trying to restart a monthly poker game in Edmonds WA just 25 minutes north of Seattle. Those who are interested just let me know.

I've recently learned that MD has changed up their gambling laws

Basically, as long as the host isn't earning from the game, it isn't illegal

I might be interested in a little home game action from time to time... But I'm still staying out of MoCo

Last edited:

I might be interested in a little home game action from time to time... But I'm still staying out of MoCo

Funny thing is that two people have asked how is MoCo sketchy, or just your perspective on it, and you still haven't answered :p

I think his game there got busted. His attendance there is sketchy, as in "I'm unlikely to play". My take on the comment, anyway.

Because I know how much of a prick the head of MoCo Vice is and it used to be policy to shut down every poker game in MoCo because some politician's donkey-dick kid lost a good chunk of money in home games

As I understand it, the state laws have laxed considerably - but I still don't wanna run into that mofo from MoCo Vice

What's your source on this? I've always thought that even non-raked games for pennies are technically misdemeanors and have followed the attempts in the past 3 years to apply this only to raked games. This past session it appears the bills once again did not get much traction, even though an earlier version last year got a unanimous vote in the Senate before going nowhere in the House...

SB 184: http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmMain.aspx?pid=billpage&stab=01&id=sb0184&tab=subject3&ys=2015rs
HB 59: http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmMain.aspx?pid=billpage&stab=01&id=hb0059&tab=subject3&ys=2015rs

Had no idea about the MoCo Vice thing. Assuming that was for raked club games mostly? I've never heard of these archaic MD laws being enforced for your average friendly home games, and have only read about 2-3 cases in the past decade where a big club game or bar league were broken up.

TITLE 13. SAME - LOCAL PROVISIONS

Subtitle 2. Gaming events - Certain counties.

13-201. Definitions.

(a) In general.- In this subtitle the following words have the meanings indicated.

(b) Gaming event.- "Gaming event" means a carnival, bazaar, or raffle.

(c) Qualified organization.- "Qualified organization" means:

(1) a volunteer fire company; or

(2) a bona fide:

(i) religious organization;

(ii) fraternal organization;

(iii) civic organization;

(iv) war veterans' organization; or

(v) charitable organization.

§ 13-202. Application of subtitle.

Except as otherwise provided in this title, this subtitle applies in the following counties:

(1) Allegany County;

(2) Anne Arundel County;

(3) Baltimore County;

(4) Calvert County;

(5) Caroline County;

(6) Carroll County;

(7) Dorchester County;

(8) Frederick County;

(9) Garrett County;

(10) Howard County;

(11) Prince George's County;

(12) St. Mary's County;

(13) Somerset County;

(14) Talbot County; and

(15) Washington County.

§ 13-203. Gaming event without personal benefit - Allowed.

This title and Title 12 of this article do not prohibit a qualified organization from conducting a gaming event for the exclusive benefit of a qualified organization if an individual or group of individuals does not:

(1) benefit financially from the gaming event under this subtitle; or

(2) receive any of the proceeds from the gaming event under this subtitle for personal use or benefit.

the gray area lies in the interpretation of what, exactly, a "qualified organization" or "qualified individual" means... regardless, it's highly doubtful that LE from the above counties would bother with non-raked games

Last edited:
I don't see much "grey area" in "Qualified Organization" is a select list of organized (ie incorporated 501c type entities) non profits / social welfare groups. I'd need the most persuasive lawyer in the world to sell the idea that My House is an unincorporated Qualified Organization. I think the best a host could hope for is benign neglect from law enforcement.

DrStrange

If vice is closing games "because some politician's donkey-dick kid lost a good chunk of money" then the obvious is obvious: Don't invite any politician's son.

Not to mention you are referring to a reaction from 2007 - 8 years ago. The politician may not still be in office and the kid may no longer be in town.

Because I know how much of a prick the head of MoCo Vice is and it used to be policy to shut down every poker game in MoCo because some politician's donkey-dick kid lost a good chunk of money in home games

As I understand it, the state laws have laxed considerably - but I still don't wanna run into that mofo from MoCo Vice

Jesus. That's ridiculously dick. I still find it hard to believe that these issues are still so prevalent.

If vice is closing games "because some politician's donkey-dick kid lost a good chunk of money" then the obvious is obvious: Don't invite any politician's son.

Not to mention you are referring to a reaction from 2007 - 8 years ago. The politician may not still be in office and the kid may no longer be in town.

the kid never played in my game... whichever way the shit rolled downhill, it was the local poker games that were targeted

not to mention, the MoCo vice squad needs to justify their existence from time to time and pad their petty cash fund

Bump of an old thread discussing MD home game law for an update...

Home games are now legal in Maryland as long as less than $1,000 is in play, no rake, and players are "known" to each other somehow. Gov signed the bill today, after it passed both chambers unanimously.

I listed to an interview with the delegate that wrote the legislation. He had tried to get this passed for years, and it suddenly gained a bit more momentum when a game at an old folks home got broken up by cops in the senate leader's district.

That's great news, Richard. If only my poor little State of Tasmania would pass such a law. I'm too scared to put Paulsons into play in case the police bust the door down and seize them haha.

That's great news, Richard. If only my poor little State of Tasmania would pass such a law. I'm too scared to put Paulsons into play in case the police bust the door down and seize them haha.

What are the laws? I know SA it's legal as long as there is no rake. Which is why I will open a "card room" and order some Paulsons to use in it ;)

It is still limited to $1000 on a table between all home players and I would have to read it well to make sure what that means. It probably makes any PCF meat up type tournaments and circus games illegal due to cash limits in the law.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom