The Pines (ASM) Original 2005 Group Buy (1 Viewer)

MeridianFC

Flush
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this as I always took Pron to be any photy-graphs of hot, hot poker chips. In any case this set is from the original (2005) ASM Group Buy when Jim opened it up to non 312 edge spots for the first time ever (I think I had been asking since the late 90s), though there were a limited number of body/spot combos + 3D14. I added on subsequent though wish I had waited till later when basically everything was available. In any case here is the first Pines cash set. I got $25s just to cover any bank issues. The hundos will probably never see action if I'm honest. And I'm somewhat honest.

Now that Classic Chip seems to be on the right course I might replace the $1. I love, love the Chocolate $1, but in the dark of the basement (and folks basements should be dark) it's too muddled with the Orange $5, which I love, love. So it's nearly 10 years that this has been bugging me.

IMG_2407[1].jpgIMG_2409[1].jpgIMG_2411[1].jpgIMG_2405[1].jpg

Count
¢25 - 211
$1 - 344
$5 - 341
$25(A) - 82
$25 (B) - 35
$100(A) - 29
$100 (B) - 24

Love the inlay, love the $5 (as well as the $1, but I agree the $5 is superior and the $1 is a bit too close in color). Thanks for the pr0n!

The gray 214 purple is superb IMO. I have mocked that same chip as a quarter countless times. Very nice!

The irony, well irony is not technically the correct word but you know what I mean, is that the Gray 214 Lavender was a group choice (though IIRC it was pretty universal as a "hey let's do that one"). Links I thought you were involved in that GB, were you not?

JB, I really do love those chips but if the 9 years ago me could have sat myself down I would have said "Self, each chip can look good. Each chip SHOULD look good. But they gotta work together". Granted at the time it was an opportunity we thought would never come again. Think TR King. Now think BCC. Paulson home options (man I could cry thinking in '97-'99 I could've had custom inlaid Paul-Sons, to be proper about this, for a bit above a buck a chip).

Then I would've checked myself into some clinic or other for talking to myself. About small clay discs. That cost far too much.

I was not part of that GB. When I joined in 2006 the thought of spending > $1/chip seemed absurd. lolz

Still a fine, fine set in its own right. I've never seen it before - thanks for sharing!

Easy solution to dark basement - move to TN. (Practically) no basements here. :)

An awesome set, thanks for sharing this oldie. Love that $1.

Believe it or not they still had the art. Luckily I had the order numbers, that's the only way they can find art that old.

I used to love checking out other people's artwork online. You just replace the order numbers with another number. Not sure if you can still do that ???

I used to love checking out other people's artwork online. You just replace the order numbers with another number. Not sure if you can still do that ???

i used to do the same thing. was a ton of fun finding designs and then waiting until the owner revealed them on CT :)

Not sure what you mean by this. When E-mailed Dave he said for stuff this old they can't look it up under your name or what's on the chips only by the order number it was assigned.

K.

I don't think so. I recall losing that capability around the time ASM moved to Vegas.

I don't think so. I recall losing that capability around the time ASM moved to Vegas.

too bad, you just had to replace your order number with a different number to link to someone else's artwork. It was really cool

Great pr0n and history! So what'd you go with for the new $1?

ASM 1.jpg
ASM Set.jpg

For a set that was trying to be desperately non traditional, Blue $1 is pretty much sucking up to standard. Again though it's gotta work with the rest of the chips, so dark base not red oriented colors.

i dig it. might have gone for retro blue base rather than dark blue, but i'm sure they'll look fantastic with that inlay regardless.

Thought about that, but I'm already spending too much so avoiding the .10 premium was in play. Initially was going to do 3DSA316, but money concerns there too.

K.

i think the single-color spots are fine as a progression from the single color 214 spots on the frac to the 6A14 spots on the fiver. will look great in stacks.

Nice choice! Will definitely be a nice upgrade.

Set originally from 2005 is finally the way I want it. Get samples kids. And you could do a lot worse than asking for design hints/opinions here. Those who suggested the light green base really made this work. PCF FTW!

Now I’ve got to figure out what to do with the several hundred chips I have that don’t actually work with this set up.

Thanks to the CPC crew for still having my original ASM art work (which even I had lost!)

IMG_3572.jpeg
IMG_3575.jpeg
IMG_3576.jpeg

FWIW here is what they look like in the CPC mock up machine (.25 is ASM 2005, $1 CPC 2014, $5 ASM 2005, $25 & 100 CPC 2023). Possibly of interest to those who like to compare mock ups vs. reality.
The Pines ASM CPC Mock Up.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom