The Pen CPC (1 Viewer)

My opinion is that those are the two best molds. Not sure there is a king in prison so not sure how the scown works so would lean towards the CSq. I’ll have to dig into my samples to see how the 1” looks but if memory serves me correctly if I was going to order I wouldn’t hesitate about using the 1”. Think someone (Pat’s based on the Sand’s) used a 1 1/8 and it pressed into the mold which I really liked but can’t have any design elements as it gets mangled in the mold, but all black still looks cool to me.

My opinion is that those are the two best molds. Not sure there is a king in prison so not sure how the scown works so would lean towards the CSq. I’ll have to dig into my samples to see how the 1” looks but if memory serves me correctly if I was going to order I wouldn’t hesitate about using the 1”. Think someone (Pat’s based on the Sand’s) used a 1 1/8 and it pressed into the mold which I really liked but can’t have any design elements as it gets mangled in the mold, but all black still looks cool to me.
The blades custom has 1" inlays as well on CSQ and I think they turned out awesome.

Set looks great. Take a look at imp blue and dg yellow on the 1 and 5 if you want
I agree on the blues, I have a few different ones that I haven't completely settled on. This is just my current favorite. That's another vote for DG yellow...guess I'm gonna have to dig out my samples again and look at it with a different eye.

I agree on the blues, I have a few different ones that I haven't completely settled on. This is just my current favorite. That's another vote for DG yellow...guess I'm gonna have to dig out my samples again and look at it with a different eye.
Make sure samples are current. Yellows were improved a few years ago

Nice design! I like the scrown mockup but think either would look great (would go 1" for either). Some potential suggestions/comments:
  • Consider making the lookout tower (apologies if that's not the correct term :) ) graphic a hair lighter, closer to white. Right now it appears to be the same grey as the background flag; making that lighter/brighter may help to distinguish it a bit more.
  • The retro blue spot on the blue $1 is going to be tough to see, those colors are really close.
  • Dark green is nearly black, if you're going for a dark green hint in the quarter spot, consider retro green. Its just a hair lighter and more definitively green.

Dg yellow is the brightest of the CPC yellows, but I like the canary you have mocked up with this set and with the spots you have picked out. It matches the feel a little better IMHO.

Nice design! I like the scrown mockup but think either would look great (would go 1" for either). Some potential suggestions/comments:
  • Consider making the lookout tower (apologies if that's not the correct term :) ) graphic a hair lighter, closer to white. Right now it appears to be the same grey as the background flag; making that lighter/brighter may help to distinguish it a bit more.
  • The retro blue spot on the blue $1 is going to be tough to see, those colors are really close.
  • Dark green is nearly black, if you're going for a dark green hint in the quarter spot, consider retro green. Its just a hair lighter and more definitively green.
What about dg peacock as the base against the retro spot? We initially had it mocked that way, and then started leaning towards imperial

Dg yellow is the brightest of the CPC yellows, but I like the canary you have mocked up with this set and with the spots you have picked out. It matches the feel a little better IMHO.
It started out I wanted it very bright and Cali colored and it became more subdued Cali color but I like where it lead to. I think there's enough pop but it's not neon.

What about dg peacock as the base against the retro spot? We initially had it mocked that way, and then started leaning towards imperial
I honestly really like the blue base color, that color stands up and says "I am the law!" ;) :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Imperial blue may start to get too close to the lavender chip as well. Maybe keep the blue base and try light blue for the spot?

1609451847377.png

It started out I wanted it very bright and Cali colored and it became more subdued Cali color but I like where it lead to. I think there's enough pop but it's not neon.

Very much agree!

I honestly really like the blue base color, that color stands up and says "I am the law!" ;) :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Imperial blue may start to get too close to the lavender chip as well. Maybe keep the blue base and try light blue for the spot?

View attachment 605417
I kinda dig the light blue spot, worry that it might be too close to the grey on the frac? not that it really matters just wondering out loud

I like the design and colors! My preference would be for the CSQ mold. I never thought about it representing concertina wire, but thats a good additional reason. If I offered any inlay design thoughts, I would say to enlarge the flag background so the bars are wider. Put the center script inside the blue line, and make the blue a color that really pops, like a DG peacock type color.

regardless, great looking design, I cant wait to see what the finished chips look like!

I kinda dig the light blue spot, worry that it might be too close to the grey on the frac? not that it really matters just wondering out loud
Yes, light blue and gray are pretty close, but given its just the one spot, I don't think it'd be an issue.

Ok so after some discussions and some tough decision making I've decided to narrow down to what will likely be the CSQ mold. Still not 100% sure but for now the fact that I missed the small crown deadline has at least bought me some time to mull this over more. I've had some people criticize the inlay a bit, and I'd really like to have some suggestions on how you think it can be improved. Some of the suggestions already made have been noted and I'm considering them.

Next is the coloring. I originally had this lined up with DG Peacock as the color on the 1 and veered away from it as a suggestion but the more I look at it the more I think going with DG Peacock solidifies my preference to have the retro blue spot on there. I think it looks fantastic. The only debate I feel on the 1 now is if I should use regular pink or DG pink on the spot.

The $5 chip is the hang up for me. I really do feel like canary is the best yellow option as much as others have tried to convince me otherwise. So for now I wanna stick with Canary as the base I just need the spot pattern and colors to go with it. I'll be posting some of the ideas that have been thrown out as they're shared with me. Hopefully if I get time this evening I'll post some more screen shots of the one's I've already mocked up, @FordPickup92 has already shared a few I think.

I appreciate the advice and suggestions so far. If I don't agree or don't make the changes that are suggested don't think I didn't ponder them. Like a very smart person told me, this is a set for me not a set for the forum. However, I do value all the experience that everyone here has with colors, schemes, and CPC in general. Here's where I'm at right now, I have changed at least a couple things from the original.

01-04-2021.png

Also shout out to @RainmanTrail for pointing out the background color change on the design tool in another thread. Its much better to see things with the more neutral background.

Have you considered dropping the flag from the inlay?

Not red, but here is a chip with canary base and a butterscotch spot. I like the combo View attachment 607357
I actually considered it at a few different points. I don't think I'd like a white background though, I much prefer a dark or black inlay but I'm not sure if you're thinking I should get rid of the flag and go with a white backdrop like yours or not.

I'm a huge fan of the butterscotch and was really looking for a way to integrate it into the set as a spot.

I actually considered it at a few different points. I don't think I'd like a white background though, I much prefer a dark or black inlay but I'm not sure if you're thinking I should get rid of the flag and go with a white backdrop like yours or not.

I'm a huge fan of the butterscotch and was really looking for a way to integrate it into the set as a spot.
Didn't mean to go white. Just a more plain background in the colour you have. Draw the focus to the guntower thingy.

Didn't mean to go white. Just a more plain background in the colour you have. Draw the focus to the guntower thingy.
To be thorough I sent a message to Tim to try out some of these ideas and if he's keen to make the changes (I already told him to finalize it) then I'll either post them in here or make a separate post to get some opinions on the possible changes.

It's a perimeter tower. It's kind of a unique feature of our facility. A lot of institutions have perimeter towers but none are quite like ours.

This is my view at this very moment.
20210104_051515.jpg

Also for those in the know. If I went with a 1 inch shaped inlay on the CSQ mold instead of the normal circle would that cut back or prevent the inlays that are off center from getting pressed into the recess edge of the inner ring on that mold?

I've really thought about shaped inlays before but ultimately choose against them but if it's beneficial in another way that might make me think about them differently.

Also for those in the know. If I went with a 1 inch shaped inlay on the CSQ mold instead of the normal circle would that cut back or prevent the inlays that are off center from getting pressed into the recess edge of the inner ring on that mold?

I've really thought about shaped inlays before but ultimately choose against them but if it's beneficial in another way that might make me think about them differently.
shaped inlays are smaller, not a lot of area for design stuff on a shaped inlay.

shaped inlays are smaller, not a lot of area for design stuff on a shaped inlay.

Unless you're referring to a faux shaped inlay, CPC's shaped inlays are 7/8 in size at their widest point.
I got the reply from David today on this, but I appreciate the response. Guess that puts the shaped inlays off the table.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom