The Pen CPC (1 Viewer)

Marhault

Full House
Supporter
Reaction score
Told myself I wouldn't do this but I figured I could get a little feedback since I'm close. I've been working on these off and on for about 6 months. It's evolved from the original ceramic design to what was going to be a relabel to now it's become a CPC set. I want to do a cash set first then eventually do a tournament set with the same basic inlay with a few minor tweaks.

What I'm looking for is some advice on the lineup obviously, but also on the mold. First let me say money isn't really a factor between the choices simply because I can afford either, it's just a matter of personal preference and aesthetic.

My favorite CPC mold is the CSQ mold, I know this is hotly debated around these parts but that's just my opinion. I'd say my second favorite maybe third is the small crown mold and that's the 2 molds I'm deciding between. The sticking point being the inlay size. I really would prefer a 1 inch inlay. I like the look better, I worry about the smaller location text showing up well on a smaller inlay, plus I think Tim did a great job on the inlay and while I don't need it to be the star of the chip I do want it to be a stand out part.

I do have the option of doing a 1 inch inlay on the CSQ mold. David says they do it regularly and without complaint but that off center inlays can become pressed into the outer ring of the center of the chip. There are pics on the forum here for those that care to see it yourself. It's not great, but it's an outlier and honestly not a game changer for me unless it's a ton of them. I've seen a lot of 1" inlays on CSQ and most of them look fantastic.

So what say you PCF? 1" inlay on the CSQ mold, 7/8" on the CSQ mold or 1" on the small crown mold? Also any comments, suggestions or advice on the chip lineup is welcome as well.

Thanks! Sorry for the novel.
12-28-20 ver 2.png

SCrown hands down for me, both in feel and aesthetics. Love the colors and progression, but to me the asymmetric 6da18 feels off, I feel like the standard 6d18 works a lot better.

I like the sda18. Screen for me as well. Love the blue chip,. Canary one is meh
What would you change if you could? That's the one I've had the most debate on. I think the canary base is the best option I've just been all over the place on spot colors and spot pattern.

I do have the option of doing a 1 inch inlay on the CSQ mold. David says they do it regularly and without complaint but that off center inlays can become pressed into the outer ring of the center of the chip. There are pics on the forum here for those that care to see it yourself. It's not great, but it's an outlier and honestly not a game changer for me unless it's a ton of them. I've seen a lot of 1" inlays on CSQ and most of them look fantastic.

Do you have any samples of 1" inlays in CSQ? I do, and IMO it does not work well. They look fine, but since the inlays exactly reach the inner ring, there is a ridge and you can grab the edge of the inlay with your fingernail, as opposed to a smooth transition with the 7/8" inlays. I was able to easily peel the outer laminate off of one 1" inlay in a CSQ with very little effort. I would strongly recommend getting representative samples before committing to that combination.

Do you have any samples of 1" inlays in CSQ? I do, and IMO it does not work well. They look fine, but since the inlays reach the inner ring, there is a ridge and you can grab the edge of the inlay with your fingernail, as opposed to a smooth transition with the 7/8" inlays. I was able to easily peel the outer laminate off of one 1" inlay in a CSQ with very little effort. I would strongly recommend getting representative samples before committing to that combination.
I do have several. I think that a lot of people use the worst of the inlays as sample sets so the ones that get passed around tend to be the worst of the worst. But I understand what you're saying.

I do have several. I think that a lot of people use the worst of the inlays as sample sets so the ones that get passed around tend to be the worst of the worst. But I understand what you're saying.

The inner ring is exactly 1", so that ridge is going to be there regardless for a 1" inlay.

The Small Crown looks great with 1” inlays. But if you have your heart on CSQ, get it. Order a few extras of each chip and with the extras that are usually included you should have more than enough to cover the few off center inlays.
I think the problem I'm having is I really do like the small crown too. It's not like in my mind they're world's apart. The inlay size and how on center they'll be seems like it will be the thing that tips the scales. If I knew it would only be like 1 out of ever 15-20 chips I'd be all over doing the CSQ. One in every 5 probably go with scrown.

You should always get what you like.

Personally, the circlesquare sort of reminds me of the round razor wire that I assoicate with prisons. I think it might go better with your theme.

Nice theme!

You should always get what you like.

Personally, the circlesquare sort of reminds me of the round razor wire that I assoicate with prisons. I think it might go better with your theme.

Nice theme!
Never thought about the razor wire look lol!

As long as your happy dude. I figured that you wanted an honest critique. I agree with Jeff. CWQ works better with the theme.
Absolutely do want honesty. That's why since I'm close to the finish line I wanted to put it on here and maybe someone with fresh eyes has some fantastic ideas but I didn't want to be constantly tweaking it or anything. So I have a few close friends/advisors that I trust that I've been spitballing and bugging the shit out of for months. They got me to within reach of the finish line, just wanted to get those last second opinions/ideas.

View attachment 605243

It might be a little busy but I really like it. I don't disagree with you though. I feel it all jives well together even if it is busy.
I guess if all your players are COs or cops, you're good. But there's a strong and divisive political connotation there. Not trying to talk you out of it, just making sure you've considered that literally half the population might find that . . . off putting?
(And I only mention this, because I liked some of your earlier inlay designs, but this one has taken a turn that's not for me.)

Please ignore the black chip lol
The thing I don't like about arc yellow in place of canary is the use of peach and tiger already... the arc seems to clash a bit

1609435736575.png

1609435788432.png

I guess if all your players are COs or cops, you're good. But there's a strong and divisive political connotation there. Not trying to talk you out of it, just making sure you've considered that literally half the population might find that . . . off putting?
90% of the guys I play with work in law enforcement in some capacity. Zero issue there. Honestly though? If someone wants to play at my house and my chips offend them that much I'd prefer they leave for both our sakes. Nothing personal thougha, I just like to play cards and have fun. I'm not making some statement.

Absolutely do want honesty. That's why since I'm close to the finish line I wanted to put it on here and maybe someone with fresh eyes has some fantastic ideas but I didn't want to be constantly tweaking it or anything. So I have a few close friends/advisors that I trust that I've been spitballing and bugging the shit out of for months. They got me to within reach of the finish line, just wanted to get those last second opinions/ideas.

Sounds like a great game plan. That is how I treated my custom sets as well.

90% of the guys I play with work in law enforcement in some capacity. Zero issue there. Honestly though? If someone wants to play at my house and my chips offend them that much I'd prefer they leave for both our sakes. Nothing personal thougha, I just like to play cards and have fun. I'm not making some statement.

I concur. The design isn't for me either. I don't mind it. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

A few more thoughts...none of which are specific recommendations, more questions I'd have if I were designing these.

I'd also play around with the perspective of the flag and the blue line. I see you're basically cutting the flag into quarters. I'd see if stretching it, and disemphasizing the stars may make the bars more prominant and play with the perspective of the blue line (smaller/bigger) to see how that looks.

I'd also play around with the brightness of the grey. Its very dark right now, and I'd look at creating a greater contrast with the lighter colors in the grey stripes and the guard tower. Perhaps the subdued is more of what you were going for.

Also, I'm a big fan of red denominations. Makes them stand out.

Dg yellow is the best yellow.
Like the white chip with the blurple and tiger.
Inlay isn't for me, way too busy and the grayness contrasts with the brightness of the chips, but with customs you gotta go with what you like, not what pleases everyone else.
Made the 5 base DG yellow and the 20 spot Canary

1609445084150.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom