The Official Sports/Non Sports Card Pron Thread (2 Viewers)

Potsie1

Full House
Site Vendor
Supporter
Reaction score
Post pictures of your epic sports card collection here!

20191109_201805.jpg

Last edited:
In only see one Pavel.... But those are cool! Actually, I only see one of a couple... and why is Kessel black and white with the Leafs?

EDIT: I've got Monster boxes and hand collated sets in the basement. Mostly from the mid-to-late 80's into the mid-90's when I lost my passion. But I did buy each of my boys a factory Topps baseball and a factory O Pee Chee hockey from the year they were born.

Last edited:
I was big into baseball/football cards in elementary school, then in JR High I traded most of them for comic books but still have some stuff in storage somewhere. I’ll see if I can find them. Always fun when you find a card for someone that became a huge star later on.

In only see one Pavel.... But those are cool! Actually, I only see one of a couple... and why is Kessel black and white with the Leafs?

EDIT: I've got Monster boxes and hand collated sets in the basement. Mostly from the mid-to-late 80's into the mid-90's when I lost my passion. But I did buy each of my boys a factory Topps baseball and a factory O Pee Chee hockey from the year they were born.

If I recall some jerseys where from when they were on previous teams and don't always match the team represented on the on the card. Not real sure about the Kessel card.

The scans aren't everything I have, just what I could dig up in the cloud.

CMT4.jpg
CMT2.jpg

I don’t like how everything has to be rated now. Only because I don’t feel like sending mine away, not that I’ll ever sell anything. But know I have a few @RainmanTrail posted.

Ya, it's sorta weird. It wasn't like that when I was a kid. I never owned a graded card until September, but I get it. It's the only way to reintroduce rarity to so many of the cards that were massively overproduced back in the day. I clawed through my collection of tens of thousands of cards from when I was a kid and only a handful were even worth considering grading. I'll probably only get a dozen or so PSA 10 cards from the entire lot. That's how rare they are. Even with modern brand new cards, most still would't grade as a 10 right from the pack. The difference in value is astronomical too. My Ken Griffey Jr 1989 Upper Deck graded as a PSA 10 is worth about $500, my PSA 9 is worth about $90, a PSA 8 is worth about $15, and anything graded 7 or lower would be worth maybe a dollar or two, and a 7 is considered "near mint". A 7 is a pretty nice card. My Jordan rookie is worth about $3k since it's a PSA 8, however a PSA 9 is worth about $6.5k, and a PSA 10 would be about $35k! Pretty crazy.

How much does it cost to get a card graded?

You have to have a subscription to PSA first (not cheap), but then you can submit cards in bulk once you do. That helps bring the cost down. If you submit 100 cards or more, they're like $8 ea plus shipping/insurance costs. I'm going to be sending in a bulk order later this year. If anyone wants to piggy back on my bulk order to get something graded, let me know. I'll submit it with my order so you can get it graded cheap. The max value for a card in their bulk order category is $99. And they take a few months to get it back to you.

I have 10-20 of those Jordan baseball cards from like 1990? 1991? The one where he's in a red White Sox jersey taking batting practice? Those things were $50 each back in the day. I think I saw them on eBay for less than $5 each.

I have a bunch of Griffey Topps rookies too. Same thing.

I hope they were born in 1979! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I have 10-20 of those Jordan baseball cards from like 1990? 1991? The one where he's in a red White Sox jersey taking batting practice? Those things were $50 each back in the day. I think I saw them on eBay for less than $5 each.

I have a bunch of Griffey Topps rookies too. Same thing.

Totally depends on condition nowadays. If you have a Griffey Topps rookie in perfect condition and it grades as a 10, then it's worth about $50+, otherwise, just an ungraded nice looking card is worth like $1-$2.

Most everything of Michael Jordan's has gone up in value over the years. Cards that were only worth $5 or less when I was a kid are not worth $30+. If you have any of his cards in perfect condition, they're definitely worth having graded.

Ya, it's sorta weird. It wasn't like that when I was a kid. I never owned a graded card until September, but I get it. It's the only way to reintroduce rarity to so many of the cards that were massively overproduced back in the day. I clawed through my collection of tens of thousands of cards from when I was a kid and only a handful were even worth considering grading. I'll probably only get a dozen or so PSA 10 cards from the entire lot. That's how rare they are. Even with modern brand new cards, most still would't grade as a 10 right from the pack. The difference in value is astronomical too. My Ken Griffey Jr 1989 Upper Deck graded as a PSA 10 is worth about $500, my PSA 9 is worth about $90, a PSA 8 is worth about $15, and anything graded 7 or lower would be worth maybe a dollar or two, and a 7 is considered "near mint". A 7 is a pretty nice card. My Jordan rookie is worth about $3k since it's a PSA 8, however a PSA 9 is worth about $6.5k, and a PSA 10 would be about $35k! Pretty crazy.

This sounds like a it could be corrupted very easy!! Is there any oversight or independent verification of PSA? What is stop someone from bribing someone at PSA $5k to make a 9 a 10? If they are so close anyways how is someone to know the difference other than PSA saying so?

Back in the 90’s or early 2000’s the comic book industry had a major controversy when the price book company bought a comic book company and artificially inflated their values on the second hand market.

These were posted in another thread somewhere. I tended to collect older cards and most are stored in binders and boxes. Not a fan of the grading and pretty much stopped collected because of it. I do still like opening packs though.

Koufax is one of my favorite Dodger pitchers
32281425177_4de6858bed.jpg

1950 Bowman
32281425057_75abc942bb.jpg

Tallboy Wilt
47171399712_a1568e14e2.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom