The Nurse's Station (1 Viewer)

JMC9389

Royal Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
Manufacturer: @SUN-FLY Poker Chips

Inlay Designer: @timinater

The Story: I've been in medicine my entire working career. I started out as a medical assistant as a 14 year old taking vital signs, pulling charts, filing lab results, and weighing my father's patients in his office over the summers for some spending/poker money. I did this through college for 7 or 8 years until I graduated nursing school. I took up a part time position as a telemetry technician while I was looking for full time work. I worked as a bedside nurse for almost 8 years before I graduated with my masters degree to become a nurse practitioner, which I've been doing for the past two and a half years and counting.

The inlays signify two symbols pertinent to the theme of medicine, the caduceus and the stethoscope. The former is an object that represents healing across the spectrum, while the stethoscope is the primary assessment tool used by medical providers across the board, from bedside nurse to nurse practitioner to physician. The EKG strip rolling edge is a call back to my first "real" job as a telemetry technician and as an ongoing symbol of my telemetry and ICU nursing background, and even today where being able to interpret EKG and rhythm strips could mean life or death for some.

I was going for an Abbiati inspired design theme with the text on the chip face and the red cross artwork on either side of the face of the chip. The yellow workhorse chip was made simply to have hundreds of yellow chips on the table at once, with the red and black edge spot colors a callback to the colors of my nursing school. The black value chip was just made simply because I fell in love with the design of the Park Place $100, nothing more.

I'd like to give a big thanks to Susie at Sunfly whose correspondence and customer service was second to none, to Tim for his hard work on the chip and inlay designs, and to @Irish , my chipping consigliere, as well as @allforcharity , @HeWhoWouldPun , and @djfayze for being my sounding board and being there to bounce suggestions off of.

I've always wanted a limit set, and now I have one! This one covers up to two tables of six player dealer's choice fixed limit action. And yes, I do plan on having cut cards and dealer buttons made!

Without further ado!

20211228_180534.jpg
20211228_180542.jpg
20211230_185818.jpg

20211230_190533.jpg
20211230_232859.jpg
20211230_232911.jpg
20211230_232932.jpg
20211230_232925.jpg
20211230_232947.jpg
20211230_233007.jpg

20220103_232837.jpg

Last edited:
What a great theme that calls back to your career's lifespan from adolescence to professional, accomplished adult! I absolutely love sets like this that mean something to the creator.

At first, I thought these were Abbiati! Well done!

They’re beautiful! They turned out so great. What a fun project to follow along during its creation. If you ordered any extra for 2 chip sample sets, count me in!

That was quick! The text on the yellows came out perfect with the tweaks, nicely done. Looking forward to seeing stacks and stacks of them in play one day :tup:

Just realized I didn't post a good photo of the rolling edge on the workhorse chip. Added to OP :tup:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom