The Miracles of Modern Medicine (Knee Replacement) (1 Viewer)

I know my place at this contest, and I’m spry....

You should come down here for the Sarasota Open one year. You'd be a star -- Dick Vitale would adopt you.

I swear the minimum age for ball "kids" is 65 -- most of them can't bend down far enough to pick up a tennis ball without using some kind of device, usually a net.

I am not joking here...

Wholehearted wishes for a fast recovery from me too Captain Grumpy:D
In Native American terms, your new name would have now been Wounded Knee:)

Next day update: Supposed to take the hydrocodone every 4-6 hours for pain. As advised, took one before going to bed last night, but haven't needed more. Today at 2:35, still no pain. Already walking much better (with the walker) than I did before the surgery. Have to wear compression leggings to help prevent blood clots, but I have good legs. :cool

Quad is pretty swollen and stiff above the knee, but that's it. Elevation and icing help. (Disclaimer: that is not "swoll", like @Anthony Martino).

Start PT tomorrow morning, but I think I'm pretty lucky so far.

Already planning my return to the tennis courts. Should be able to carry @k9dr to victory in the tennis event at SQM 2021...

My mom had a hip replacement done this morning. Apparently it took about 30 minutes, and she's already walking around with a walker. Crazy.

My mom had a hip replacement done this morning. Apparently it took about 30 minutes, and she's already walking around with a walker. Crazy.

Yep. The things they do nowadays are amazing.

Good luck and a quick recovery to your Mom! Hope she has an ice machine to help in recovery -- they are essential these days!

Day 10: Aquacel bandage off. No longer on any pain meds (only baby aspirin to avoid embolisms). No pain to speak of, except that intentionally inflicted by a sadistic physical therapist. :cool

Still using a cane occasionally, usually when rising after sitting or lying for too long, but all-in-all, as good as I'd have better than I'd have dared hope for.

KneeDay10.jpg

Day 10: Aquacel bandage off. No longer on any pain meds (only baby aspirin to avoid embolisms). No pain to speak of, except that intentionally inflicted by a sadistic physical therapist. :cool

Still using a cane occasionally, usually when rising after sitting or lying for too long, but all-in-all, as good as I'd have better than I'd have dared hope for.

View attachment 497314
Don't let up on icing that knee. Still looks a little swollen around the kneecap. I'm happy to hear things are going well! :)

Baby aspirins (@post #43), pink ones with fruit taste:hearts:, is going to be my preferred way of pain killing, if not of suicide (if ever required) :)
I do appreciate people carrying on, anyway. :)

Don't let up on icing that knee. Still looks a little swollen around the kneecap. I'm happy to hear things are going well! :)
Yes, definitely still "fat knee". Still some bruising on the upper thigh as well. The ice machine will be in use for quite a while yet. What a great invention!

Last edited:
Looking pretty good , seems that only a small scar will be left.

Nice scar! What's the standard duration of baby aspirin post-knee replacement these days? 1 month? Taken 1 pill twice a day or 2 pills once a day?

Nice scar! What's the standard duration of baby aspirin post-knee replacement these days? 1 month? Taken 1 pill twice a day or 2 pills once a day?

The scar and knee at this stage remind me of the first pig's foot I was ever served, long ago in Paris. :confused

1 pill (81mg) twice a day for 4 weeks. Chewed before swallowing, I'd guess for more complete absorption?

And let's not overlook the oh-so-sexy and flattering compression socks that go along with them.... :cool

Last edited:
Hope you are healing up well.

I was thinking about you and @k9dr today at lunch. I went to eat at Chicken N Pickle today and really enjoyed the chicken! Apparently this Pickle Ball is a thing everywhere. They opened up last month and doing great business even with social distancing.

We were fortunate enough to be one of the two major beer partners with them. We have 5 of the 10 taps in the VIP room. We are enjoying a great partnership with this really nice organization!

81E5DA3E-0EDA-4007-83A6-C65B70ED4943.jpeg
25B5F9B4-A6E9-4800-B8F3-5E8DAF26D04B.jpeg
D45BA642-3887-47C7-8D26-596479FA4B9E.jpeg
667940FD-6170-4361-8B4F-8982530E25AA.jpeg
62D47764-5A97-4F64-A9D6-4C4C5C7DCEC0.jpeg

Pickleball and beer in the same place? I'm sold, let's go.

Pickleball and beer in the same place? I'm sold, let's go.
Yes, first time I had heard of Pickle Ball was when Larry spoke about it. I was like, "Crazy Floridians!". Then this came to town recently and they are doing some great business. In fact we are one of the two beer partners at their establishment. I just dropped off some t-shirts and swag for a tournament they are throwing this weekend. It is called the "Beer in Hand" Tournament. All players must play with a beer in their hand and this weekend they will all have a Freetail beer in hand!

Hope you are healing up well.

I was thinking about you and @k9dr today at lunch. I went to eat at Chicken N Pickle today and really enjoyed the chicken! Apparently this Pickle Ball is a thing everywhere. They opened up last month and doing great business even with social distancing.

We were fortunate enough to be one of the two major beer partners with them. We have 5 of the 10 taps in the VIP room. We are enjoying a great partnership with this really nice organization!

View attachment 504228View attachment 504229View attachment 504230View attachment 504231View attachment 504232

Those sure are tiny tennis courts :p

Yes, first time I had heard of Pickle Ball was when Larry spoke about it. I was like, "Crazy Floridians!". Then this came to town recently and they are doing some great business. In fact we are one of the two beer partners at their establishment....

Not Floridian, David -- pickleball actually started in Washington state. And it looks like that place pushes cornhole, too. Throw in your beers, and it should be a winner!

Knee, day 23 -- almost completely healed incision, with most of the glue gone. Walking unaided, bouncing around in the pool, Driving, though still a bit awkward getting in and out of the car. Not a single stab of pain since the operation, including a dozen physical therapy sessions.. Flexion is at around 105 degrees -- not great, limited by swelling, but then my "good" knee only does around 120. We tall people tender to not be very limber...

The only remaining discomfort is an occasional burning sensation at the sides of the knee, apparently the result of still-healing nerve ends. All in all, a terrific experience with modern medicine.
KneeDay23.jpg

Just to summarize the entire experience: I was hitting tennis balls against the wall at 5-1/2 weeks; hitting against the ball machine at 6-1/2 weeks; hitting with my wife and my friend (who had his knee replaced by the same doc three days after mine!) from 8-10 weeks; and got clearance from my surgeon to actually resume playing at 10 weeks (Sept. 24). By the 14 week mark I was playing 5 to 6 times each week, and haven't slacked off since. Playing every day but Sunday now, sometimes twice a day. You can't see the scar unless you know where to look and really look for it..

I still hit the exercise bike every morning before play, and every evening. The knee is great, and the hamstring is probably at 90% of maximum strength. By my six month target, January 14, I should be where I had hoped to be.

Today I gave all my paraphernalia -- ice machine, walker, cane, and assorted PT equipment away to another tennis buddy who's having a knee replacement on Jan. 4. I kept Nurse Cratchett (my wife) though -- she's indispensible. :cool

But along the way I figured out that when you get one major problem fixed, it unmasks all the other smaller problems it had been concealing. I'm still creaky for five or six steps after I've been sitting for an hour or more -- you can't beat Father Time! :banghead:

Just to summarize the entire experience: I was hitting tennis balls against the wall at 5-1/2 weeks; hitting against the ball machine at 6-1/2 weeks; hitting with my wife and my friend (who had his knee replaced by the same doc three days after mine!) from 8-10 weeks; and got clearance from my surgeon to actually resume playing at 10 weeks (Sept. 24). By the 14 week mark I was playing 5 to 6 times each week, and haven't slacked off since. Playing every day but Sunday now, sometimes twice a day. You can't see the scar unless you know where to look and really look for it..

I still hit the exercise bike every morning before play, and every evening. The knee is great, and the hamstring is probably at 90% of maximum strength. By my six month target, January 14, I should be where I had hoped to be.

Today I gave all my paraphernalia -- ice machine, walker, cane, and assorted PT equipment away to another tennis buddy who's having a knee replacement on Jan. 4. I kept Nurse Cratchett (my wife) though -- she's indispensible. :cool

But along the way I figured out that when you get one major problem fixed, it unmasks all the other smaller problems it had been concealing. I'm still creaky for five or six steps after I've been sitting for an hour or more -- you can't beat Father Time! :banghead:
Congrats on a successful surgery and recovery although I am sure Nurse Crachett would most likely prefer to be called Nurse Nancy or perhaps Queen Nancy!

Please tell your Highness Hello!

She says hi back, and wishes you well, David.

She's most grateful that she doesn't have to help me put on socks (or compression stockings!) any more. Or do all the cooking, grocery shopping, laundry, etc.

(But then I was extremely careful to never allow her to find out about the double indemnity clause in my life insurance policy...:eek:)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom