The London Underground Cards Mold (2 Viewers)

Mortalpawn

Two Pair
Reaction score
This is an idea I've been bouncing around for a while. The idea was to perhaps have a "pub night" with a bunch of English beers where we could bet in pounds, just to mix things up a bit. Obviously in the PNY theme.

I've not printed these yet - still in draft stage a the moment.

I actually worked hard on the color scheme and images here to keep them all in an English color palette. I picked some of the sights of London (London Bridge, Buckingham Palace lined with flags, English guard, The Eye, Westminster and the iconic phone box.

Also my experience is that the low denomination chips are most used in actual play, so I tried to make the 0.25, 1 and 5 visually interesting and in the British theme in particular rather than forcing into a spot progression where you hardly ever play with the higher level spots:

London1.png

London-Dealer.png
London-Underground-Bridge-Final.png

Last edited:
Very nice!! Color scheme is on fire! Maybe you could put the late queen on a 1000 in honor of her reign, or something Elizabeth related

Love these.

Just a thought, unless you're wedded to the imagery you've already chosen in which case ignore me…

For some extra authenticity / relevance maybe tie each chip to the tube line its colour corresponds to, then choose an iconic landmark somewhere on that line?

E.g.:
Yellow = Circle line / The square mile (financial district)
Blue = Victoria line / Buckingham Palace
Red = Central line / St Paul's or Marble Arch
Green = District line / Tower of London or Tower Bridge
Black = Northern line / gothic facade of Kings's Cross St Pancras
Purple = Elizabeth line / Olympic Stadium

Love these.

Just a thought, unless you're wedded to the imagery you've already chosen in which case ignore me…

For some extra authenticity / relevance maybe tie each chip to the tube line its colour corresponds to, then choose an iconic landmark somewhere on that line?

E.g.:
Yellow = Circle line / The square mile (financial district)
Blue = Victoria line / Buckingham Palace
Red = Central line / St Paul's or Marble Arch
Green = District line / Tower of London or Tower Bridge
Black = Northern line / gothic facade of Kings's Cross St Pancras
Purple = Elizabeth line / Olympic Stadium

As an ex-londoner of 20ish years I was just writing something similar ... I was at

Yellow - Circle Line - Westminster
Blue - Piccadily Line - Piccadily Circus
Red - Central Line - Bank
Green - District Line - Tower Hill

Yours is better :)

I would also lose the Guardsman, combine that with Buck House for the Changing of the Guard, - and the post box. The old Routemaster Bus could get a spot but probably as part of the scene for a landmark maybe.

The idea certainly has legs though.

Love the idea and the chip design!

For my tastes the Union Jack is too loud on the topper

Since your theme seems to be England/London the appropriate flag would be the St. George’s Cross.

Attachments

• CD53DF2B-980E-426A-B74D-72DA54197BA5.jpeg
    CD53DF2B-980E-426A-B74D-72DA54197BA5.jpeg
    41.6 KB · Views: 42
Actually I’d read somewhere recently that most English have a stronger affinity with the Union flag than St George’s cross (I certainly do). And that most consider themselves British over specifically English, so I think the Union flag is probably a safer bet.

I've been traveling with the holidays but I'll try to take a look at these again next week. I'm not opposed to the idea of tying the chip to the color of the subway line but I do wonder if the average player outside of London would pick up on that level of detail. Still a great idea.

My only concern is that I matched the pictures to the chip/spots, so I will need to see if I can find suitable images that match up well. It is surprisingly time consuming to find an image that goes well with the chip color but still has space on it to put the denomination.

I still like the British flag on the topper, but maybe I need to tone down the play area a bit so its not distracting. Some of the other toppers I made I used transparency in the center to keep the play field from getting too bright.

I used pounds to keep it in theme but in practice we would probably just play it with the pound chip being a dollar as we usually play $0.25/0.25 or $0.25/0.50 games.

I just can’t get excited about the pictures on the chips. Too busy for me, and don’t match the London Underground theme. Perhaps drawings / art would be more engaging than photo art. I just don’t like photo art on chips.

I would rather have you show the underground map, and highlight the corresponding line for that denomination on the inlay, which the other lines in gray.

I would rather have you show the underground map, and highlight the corresponding line for that denomination on the inlay, which the other lines in gray.
Sorry you don't like the picture chips - it is a matter of taste. I did actually play with some London Underground maps both for chip inlays and also on the table topper but it really was a bit on the boring side. Even on the table topper it looked more like the wallpaper at a Subway sandwich shop than a good theme for the topper.

Sorry you don't like the picture chips - it is a matter of taste. I did actually play with some London Underground maps both for chip inlays and also on the table topper but it really was a bit on the boring side. Even on the table topper it looked more like the wallpaper at a Subway sandwich shop than a good theme for the topper.

I agree the certain styles work for me that won’t work for you. I wish you the best with your project!

Quite possibly the most offensive set of chips and topper I have ever seen :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I’m a big fan of PNYs so I like what you’re trying to do. The £5 doesn’t fit with the rest of the set as every other chip is a building or landmark. A picture of St. Paul’s would seem the obvious one but any landmark would fit in better.

Still toying with purchasing these. I know the Palace guard image does not fit with the rest of the landmarks, but he goes well with the red chip colors/spots. As I mentioned we mostly play 0.25/0.25 or 0.25/0.50 so its really the first three chips that would be on the felt most of the time.

I may dive in and get a single table set in 43mm, along with the dealer buttons and topper. We did Flamingo night last weekend with the bright yellow Flamingo $0.25, blue $1 chips and it was a big hit. I had the Flamingo topper as well and everyone loved it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom