The legality of home games in Canada (1 Viewer)

JamesOwnz

High Hand
Reaction score
So I want to host a game with no rake just place to play with friends.

In Canada what Is the line here? Read as long as I don't charge a rake and it in my home it's ok... But worse comes seems like it would be hard to prove you weren't taking a rake.

Players are the one who report it. Or license holders who are jealous. In the USA I’m not a lawyer but told donations are welcome/fine/great. Can’t touch the pot. In Oregon they change one chip to a blank/funky/plastic/$3 chip from the pot. At the end of every hand everyone collects the pot and throws those “funky/blank/plastic” chips in a bucket by the dealer. “Thus a donation”. Sure u can cash them, and bet them but don’t expect to get invited back. Every card room in Southern Oregon (6 that I play at) operate this way today. Zero license required. Lots of fun. BYOB and you can drink past hours. They call them “social clubs” and it’s mostly relabel.

Last edited:

In Canada what Is the line here? Read as long as I don't charge a rake and it in my home it's ok... But worse comes seems like it would be hard to prove you weren't taking a rake.
At least there you can play some cash games, here in italy is illegal... :(

If that's the case you wouldn't have to prove you weren't taking a rake, they would have to prove you were. And since you weren't there would be nothing for them to show.

Players are the one who report it. Or license holders who are jealous. In the USA I’m not a lawyer but told donations are welcome/fine/great. Can’t touch the pot. In Oregon they change one chip to a blank/funky/plastic/$3 chip from the pot. At the end of every hand everyone collects the pot and throws those “funky/blank/plastic” chips in a bucket by the dealer. “Thus a donation”. Sure u can cash them, and bet them but don’t expect to get invited back. Every card room in Southern Oregon (6 that I play at) operate this way today. Zero license required. Lots of fun. BYOB and you can drink past hours. They call them “social clubs” and it’s mostly relabel.

That's interesting. So, the dealer (or a designated party) replaces three $1 cheques from the pot with a $3 cheque. Then, the winner of the pot 'tips' the dealer (or the house) with that $3 cheque? Am I understanding this correctly? And this is done above table in public forums?

Actually I dropped in at my local police station (RCMP detachment) and asked about that. While they didn't give me a direct answer, they did direct me to the government agency that enforces gaming rules in my province (British Columbia Gaming Policy and Enforcement Branch). During a phone call to them, the person read through the rules (basically the Canadian Criminal Code, which pretty much prohibits any gaming for money) which I had read online, and the BCGPEB interpretation bulletin, which is not available online. She then told me that as long as the games were occasional and nobody was making any money other than winnings, they would not consider that a violation. She also told me good luck and have fun with my home game!

That's interesting. So, the dealer (or a designated party) replaces three $1 cheques from the pot with a $3 cheque. Then, the winner of the pot 'tips' the dealer (or the house) with that $3 cheque? Am I understanding this correctly? And this is done above table in public forums?

Your close. The $3 chip is always blank yet consider it whatever the rake is. In my game the blank chip is $6 because it takes longer To spread. Where you’re also confused, you throw the six dollar chip in this case in the bucket, and also tip the dealer. The dealer ONLY works for tips.No employees equals no payroll equals no taxes equals no third-party involvement. I just throw the blank back to the dealer with my tip. Some dealers gather and stack them in a bowl to side of the dealer. Sometimes on the floor. Some wait until once an hour they can come and collect them in such bowl. To each his own. Same thing. Don’t pay the dealers wage thats illegal and tricky. The entire state of Oregon that I go to operates this way. I’ve heard Portland also does hourly b it I’ve never played there.

Last edited:
Actually I dropped in at my local police station (RCMP detachment) and asked about that. While they didn't give me a direct answer, they did direct me to the government agency that enforces gaming rules in my province (British Columbia Gaming Policy and Enforcement Branch). During a phone call to them, the person read through the rules (basically the Canadian Criminal Code, which pretty much prohibits any gaming for money) which I had read online, and the BCGPEB interpretation bulletin, which is not available online. She then told me that as long as the games were occasional and nobody was making any money other than winnings, they would not consider that a violation. She also told me good luck and have fun with my home game!

Ok, that is good to know...I am in Vancouver

I know a game that was recently raided being played in a cafe was a fun place to play and was very close to my place but then got greedy and after COVID started running tournaments and cash games six nights a week.

Ok, that is good to know...I am in Vancouver

I know a game that was recently raided being played in a cafe was a fun place to play and was very close to my place but then got greedy and after COVID started running tournaments and cash games six nights a week.
Was there a rake or other entry fee?

Oh yes, it was definitely a business.

But yet there are other games that do the same close by but have been running for years out in the open in a bowling alley
Yeah, they run until someone makes a phone call. In a public place like that it is easy for investigators to gather all the evidence needed to lay charges. In your house it would be more difficult, unless you invite strangers in. But even so, no rake, no fees, no worry.

In Canada, you're fine if you're not raking or taking any kind of payment. So no selling booze,etc.
Quite right! On my online game I had a couple players offer me a cash tip at the end of the evening (basically telling me to e-transfer them less than the full amount of their winnings). I politely declined, because if the money coming in doesn't equal the money going out, it is tough to explain if you are audited.

The only thing is if I wanted to have a dealer for my game might be a little tricky...guess it would just be self dealt

Quite right! On my online game I had a couple players offer me a cash tip at the end of the evening (basically telling me to e-transfer them less than the full amount of their winnings). I politely declined, because if the money coming in doesn't equal the money going out, it is tough to explain if you are audited.

I have to wonder if online games would fall under a different set of rules in BC?

Oh yes, it was definitely a business.

But yet there are other games that do the same close by but have been running for years out in the open in a bowling alley

Therein lies the rub. Businesses that run these things during normal operating hours can be skirting a bit because it's too open. They're supposed to be for the general public, and unlicensed gambling is not supposed to be open to the general public. The local Legion can get away with it, because they are members and member-invites only. A private golf club could get away with it for just about the same reason. A 24-hour 7-Eleven with a back room probably can't.

Therein lies the rub. Businesses that run these things during normal operating hours can be skirting a bit because it's too open. They're supposed to be for the general public, and unlicensed gambling is not supposed to be open to the general public. The local Legion can get away with it, because they are members and member-invites only. A private golf club could get away with it for just about the same reason. A 24-hour 7-Eleven with a back room probably can't.

Yes it interesting... I actually went to a game couple weeks ago that took place in a little take out place...right in the open at least the place was closed though.

Thanks for this. It's good to know. I run a small poker mavens site to substitute for our regular home game during the pandemic. I looked around on the web and could not find a clear and easy answer to this question. The jist I got from reading online was that it's a bit of a grey area, but as long as you are not taking any rake, then you should be fine.

Seems that my general, lay person, take on it is fairly accurate. I take no rake at all. The only money that comes in goes directly into player accounts. The full amount of each pot is awarded to the player.

I shoulder all the actual costs: poker mavens license, ssl cert annually, domain name, etc..and I run it on a virtual machine on my home network. Unless I am winning pots, I would actually lose more as the host than any player would.

I have to wonder if online games would fall under a different set of rules in BC?
Thanks for this. It's good to know. I run a small poker mavens site to substitute for our regular home game during the pandemic. I looked around on the web and could not find a clear and easy answer to this question. The jist I got from reading online was that it's a bit of a grey area, but as long as you are not taking any rake, then you should be fine.

Seems that my general, lay person, take on it is fairly accurate. I take no rake at all. The only money that comes in goes directly into player accounts. The full amount of each pot is awarded to the player.
I never asked about online (my contact with them was pre-Covid), just assumed that the rules were similar. I did however keep very good records of all game results, and all money coming and going. Similar to @naked_eskimo , I’m paying all operating costs out of pocket (it’s not very much), and no rake, no tips, no money other than winnings.

I never asked about online (my contact with them was pre-Covid), just assumed that the rules were similar. I did however keep very good records of all game results, and all money coming and going. Similar to @naked_eskimo , I’m paying all operating costs out of pocket (it’s not very much), and no rake, no tips, no money other than winnings.
As I recall, in Missouri it’s actually against the law to keep gambling records.

I know of a few games that have been raided in Ontario, but they were all pretty big games where rake was being taken. I've never heard of a home game among friends with no rake ever being raided. I've even heard of a few games where some of the players are police officers and they obviously don't care at all.

The only thing is if I wanted to have a dealer for my game might be a little tricky...guess it would just be self dealt

You can pay a dealer, its their responsibility to claim the income.

If you aren't Raking you have no problems.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom