The Kansas City Straddle – July 14-17, 2022 (2 Viewers)

Poker Zombie

Royal Flush
Reaction score
Thursday

Woke up bright and early at 6 am, fully rested. It will be the last time I felt rested for an entire week. Mark, Forrest, Matt and the Zombies meet at one of the smaller B'fast houses in town, Huey's on the Square).

1658410557725.png

The chicken and waffles were a miss, and the orange juice was from concentrate. However, their biscuits were light and fluffy.

1658410761921.png

We arrived at the venue, and found Herbie and @bsdunbar1 on the tail end of unloading the U-Haul. Three tables, multiple sets of chips, and a lot of stairs - and they were just about done by the time we arrived. That's timing!

1658411087434.png

It was a huge venue. Bill's truck is not tiny, but it is dwarfed in the photo. It's also rumored to be haunted, but I believe ghost-stories about the same as I believe the guy that says "I had it" after you fold, but discards face down. :rolleyes:

Early on, @Mrs Poker Zombie and I helped Herbie any way we could. Having hosted poker games, meet-ups, and conventions, I have to say that the KC Straddle was much closer to a convention than a meet-up. Although only ~30 were expected, Herbie's planning could have easily handled 130 - although another 15 tables and those steps would have killed somebody.

1658411651895.png

The last guy to host 20 tables. The cracked glass prevented us from using his casket as an additional table.

1658411891579.png

Tom (@tdccarpenter) and I manning the check-in table.

A little before 1 pm (1300 Herbie time) we decide that all the early arrivals are here, and it's time to abandon the check-in and dive into some chips!
1658412207117.png

In $200 (added $100 when my stack slipped below $35), out $305 in 50¢-50¢ circus.

Our rooms weren't available on arrival, but we could keep our luggage with the chips. When we got in to the room, it was spectacular.

Living Room
1658412553933.png

A dining area that was only missing one of @Tommy 's PCF toppers.
1658412574685.png

No shots of the rest of the room, but it was amazing - though you must quickly learn to tilt your head when standing as the roof-slant will brain you!

Eventually, it was time for dinner. Bus, Beer, and BBQ. It was worth the trip just for this part of the weekend.
1658413016093.png

I took a lot of photos of the food at Jack Stack Barbecue, but unless you've just skimmed the last 1,350 posts you've seen most of it by now. So I'll just leave you with the winning dish:
1658413169925.png

The ribs were just out of this world. It's not often that I am humbled, but I am not even close to cooking ribs this well. Neither is any other rib joint I have ever come across. However, the awesome didn't stop at ribs. The baked beans (yep, I like sides) were also the best beans I've had as well. This is high-praise, because I'm not one of those Yelp reviewers that says "This is the best thing I've ever had" through 200 different posts.

After the dinner we returned to the venue where the bus driver took a series of photos, which Google turned into a gif for me.
1658413810046.gif

WTF!?!
Ghost.jpg

OK - maybe some of my lay-downs are good.

After Dinner I sit with Herbie, @Grandmasturkey, @BEANO52's wife and some of Herbies regulars. I don't recall much, as $1-$2 Hold'em ghosted my stack in under 30 minutes.
1658415868954.png

In $300, out $137. Not in bad beats, nor terrible play - I was simply outclassed. Time to get back to the relative safety of circus games.

Ahhh... After the Hold'em beatdown, micro-stakes feels like a warm blanket in the winter.

1658416138732.png

I've mentioned it in a previous post, but I'll say it again, the beginner's game on the Artichoke Joe's were the best poker of the weekend. In $40, out $161 doesn't even figure into the fun totals. It wasn't about the money (a lot of checking with winning hands to keep the game alive), it was hanging with some very fun people (who I won't mention by name because I may forget some, or conflate this game with other 10¢-20¢ games I played this weekend).

Tomorrow, football season begins!

Last edited:

Ben8257

Royal Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thursday

Woke up bright and early at 6 am, fully rested. It will be the last time I felt rested for an entire week. Mark, Forrest, Matt and the Zombies meet at one of the smaller B'fast houses in town, Huey's on the Square).

View attachment 952985
The chicken and waffles were a miss, and the orange juice was from concentrate. However, their biscuits were light and fluffy.

View attachment 952986

We arrived at the venue, and found Herbie and @bsdunbar1 on the tail end of unloading the U-Haul. Three tables, multiple sets of chips, and a lot of stairs - and they were just about done by the time we arrived. That's timing!

View attachment 952989
It was a huge venue. Bill's truck is not tiny, but it is dwarfed in the photo. It's also rumored to be haunted, but I believe ghost-stories about the same as I believe the guy that says "I had it" after you fold, but discards face down. :rolleyes:

Early on, @Mrs Poker Zombie and I helped Herbie any way we could. Having hosted poker games, meet-ups, and conventions, I have to say that the KC Straddle was much closer to a convention than a meet-up. Although only ~30 were expected, Herbie's planning could have easily handled 130 - although another 15 tables and those steps would have killed somebody.

View attachment 952992
The last guy to host 20 tables. The cracked glass prevented us from using his casket as an additional table.

View attachment 952994
Tom (@tdccarpenter) and I manning the check-in table.

A little before 1 pm (1300 Herbie time) we decide that all the early arrivals are here, and it's time to abandon the check-in and dive into some chips!
View attachment 952995
In $200 (added $100 when my stack slipped below $35), out $305 in 50¢-50¢ circus.

Our rooms weren't available on arrival, but we could keep our luggage with the chips. When we got in to the room, it was spectacular.

Living Room
View attachment 952996

A dining area that was only missing one of @Tommy 's PCF toppers.
View attachment 952997

No shots of the rest of the room, but it was amazing - though you must quickly learn to tilt your head when standing as the roof-slant will brain you!

Eventually, it was time for dinner. Bus, Beer, and BBQ. It was worth the trip just for this part of the weekend.
View attachment 953002

I took a lot of photos of the food at Jack Stack Barbecue, but unless you've just skimmed the last 1,350 posts you've seen most of it by now. So I'll just leave you with the winning dish:
View attachment 953005

The ribs were just out of this world. It's not often that I am humbled, but I am not even close to cooking ribs this well. Neither is any other rib joint I have ever come across. However, the awesome didn't stop at ribs. The baked beans (yep, I like sides) were also the best beans I've had as well. This is high-praise, because I'm not one of those Yelp reviewers that says "This is the best thing I've ever had" through 200 different posts.

After the dinner we returned to the venue where the bus driver took a series of photos, which Google turned into a gif for me.
View attachment 953009

WTF!?!
View attachment 953019
OK - maybe some of my lay-downs are good.

After Dinner I sit with Herbie, @Grandmasturkey, @BEANO52's wife and some of Herbies regulars. I don't recall much, as $1-$2 Hold'em ghosted my stack in under 30 minutes.
View attachment 953034
In $300, out $137. Not in bad beats, nor terrible play - I was simply outclassed. Time to get back to the relative safety of circus games.

Ahhh... After the Hold'em beatdown, micro-stakes feels like a warm blanket in the winter.

View attachment 953041

I've mentioned it in a previous post, but I'll say it again, the beginner's game on the Artichoke Joe's were the best poker of the weekend. In $40, out $161 doesn't even figure into the fun totals. It wasn't about the money (a lot of checking with winning hands to keep the game alive), it was hanging with some very fun people (who I won't mention by name because I may forget some, or conflate this game with other 10¢-20¢ games I played this weekend).

Tomorrow, football season begins!
MJ please tell me somehow you added that Jackal or Hunch Back to the photo? That is freaking strange man!

TX_Golf_N_Poker

4 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Modifications would be needed to the belt for that. Wouldn’t be hard to do, but felt this was the nicest way to hang it. The middle would be heavy as well, so would need multiple fasteners added, I think.
No need to modify the belt. Just mount a shelf, then wrap the belt and secure the ends to each other. Set it on the shelf. Maybe insert some dowels into the shelf to hold it in place. Voila!

Mrs Poker Zombie

Flush
Site Vendor
Reaction score
Boy, you take a few days off to have a little fun and work slams into you when you return. I am finally taking a few beats to jot down a few notes about this amazing meetup. For me, it's all about the food, the people, the fun, and the food. Yes, I know I said food twice! Things that stand out (roughly in order of occurrence):

@Chawks45 Herbie really knocked this out of the park, creating a new standard for meetups. It was an honor and a pleasure to be part of the crew contributing to the event.

BBQ! So much of it and so good!

The area was very interesting. As PZ has already described, we visited a little Italian restaurant tucked into a family neighborhood. If I didn't know it was there, I'd have never have found it. The same with the first breakfast, where communing with friends is encouraged (i.e. large tables).

Tour bus! What a blast to talk (read YELL) with your friends while drinking beers heading for BBQ!

It was my pleasure to facilitate a small-stakes poker table allowing people to learn the games to be played the next night. Thank you @Ben8257 for the use of your Artichoke chips!

Tour bus again! I was tickled pink that Don (our driver) was using his Straddle koozie the second day! What an amazingly thorough tour, seeing where Herbie works, the locker rooms, and a trip to the field. In Indy, I got a chance to lay down on the 50-yard line.... sure wish that could have been repeated here! Plus, who could forget seeing short-stack @Lil Tuna and that size 20 shoe! Lastly, I got to sport a Super Bowl Ring!

2022-07-15 12.55.jpg

Back for more poker where I won a couple of splash pot goodies courtesy of @Grandmasturkey, @Joe Harris and @chipinla. What generous people, especially when Steve tried to share his drink by pouring it in his lap, the floor, and my pants!

I got an opportunity to traverse the grounds (i.e. knocked out of the tournament early). What an interesting location! This tree will make a great sketch.
1658602301783.png

After all the walking, I hadn't found the graveyard, but this zombie decided it was time for wine instead. How convenient to be at a winery!

Back to poker when tables opened up. I have such a poor memory of poker hands, but I cannot forget the fun of one of my Omaha hands. In the final round of betting, villain bets and hero raises. With just us two in the pot, @RowdyRawhide says to me, "I'm trying to decide how much of an a**hole to be". He decides to just call and finds out his nut flush ran head on into my straight flush!
1658602620782.png

I could name so many people I enjoyed chatting and playing poker with... might as well tag the invite list. Thank you all for your contributions to a fantastic trip!

Liz

chipinla

Full House
Reaction score
Boy, you take a few days off to have a little fun and work slams into you when you return. I am finally taking a few beats to jot down a few notes about this amazing meetup. For me, it's all about the food, the people, the fun, and the food. Yes, I know I said food twice! Things that stand out (roughly in order of occurrence):

@Chawks45 Herbie really knocked this out of the park, creating a new standard for meetups. It was an honor and a pleasure to be part of the crew contributing to the event.

BBQ! So much of it and so good!

The area was very interesting. As PZ has already described, we visited a little Italian restaurant tucked into a family neighborhood. If I didn't know it was there, I'd have never have found it. The same with the first breakfast, where communing with friends is encouraged (i.e. large tables).

Tour bus! What a blast to talk (read YELL) with your friends while drinking beers heading for BBQ!

It was my pleasure to facilitate a small-stakes poker table allowing people to learn the games to be played the next night. Thank you @Ben8257 for the use of your Artichoke chips!

Tour bus again! I was tickled pink that Don (our driver) was using his Straddle koozie the second day! What an amazingly thorough tour, seeing where Herbie works, the locker rooms, and a trip to the field. In Indy, I got a chance to lay down on the 50-yard line.... sure wish that could have been repeated here! Plus, who could forget seeing short-stack @Lil Tuna and that size 20 shoe! Lastly, I got to sport a Super Bowl Ring!

View attachment 954292

Back for more poker where I won a couple of splash pot goodies courtesy of @Grandmasturkey, @Joe Harris and @chipinla. What generous people, especially when Steve tried to share his drink by pouring it in his lap, the floor, and my pants!

I got an opportunity to traverse the grounds (i.e. knocked out of the tournament early). What an interesting location! This tree will make a great sketch.
View attachment 954295

After all the walking, I hadn't found the graveyard, but this zombie decided it was time for wine instead. How convenient to be at a winery!

Back to poker when tables opened up. I have such a poor memory of poker hands, but I cannot forget the fun of one of my Omaha hands. In the final round of betting, villain bets and hero raises. With just us two in the pot, @RowdyRawhide says to me, "I'm trying to decide how much of an a**hole to be". He decides to just call and finds out his nut flush ran head on into my straight flush!
View attachment 954301

I could name so many people I enjoyed chatting and playing poker with... might as well tag the invite list. Thank you all for your contributions to a fantastic trip!

Liz
What can I say? I know how to flirt with the best of ‘em!

Reaction score
Before the event, I said that Herbie is swinging for the fences on this one, and it really delivered.

I was able to join for dinner on Thursday and then some cash games after that, and all day Saturday for the main event and then cash.

I had such a great time meeting so many great people, and connecting with some of the regulars from Herbie’s home game as well. And of course, within that group is some PCF overlap, which brings it all together.

What people experienced here is what Herbie’s regs have come to know: he is a fantastic host. His home games are just as organized, thought out, and welcoming as the Straddle was.

Everything with the Straddle was first class because everything Herbie does is first class.

Now that the cat is out of the bag, I’m sure that any future events would be even more highly anticipated than this one. But could Herbie top it? I’m sure he would try!

All in all, I just had a fantastic time. A huge thanks to Herbie once again, and to all the PCFers who made it out to Kansas City!

Schmendr1ck

Straight Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always like to take a few days to "digest" a meetup before writing a trip report, and this one was no exception.

This is the first time I've ever brought my wife to a meetup, and I won't lie that I was a little nervous about it - mainly because she has zero interest in poker, and I was afraid that she would be bored out of her skull. But she had a great time finally putting faces to many of the names that I constantly talk about, she adored the venue, and we both loved exploring KC after the meetup. Mrs S gives KCS1 4.5 out of 5 stars (mandatory half-star deduction because poker).

Of course, my teenager is utterly bored by anything that involves her parents, so I was afraid that would be a no-win. But the history and "haunted" vibe of the venue was right up her alley. She's obsessed with FNAF and young adult horror, so as soon as she saw the old buildings and heard about George, she was hooked.

1658765830748.png

The stadium tour, though, was a hard pass for her. "Football? Bleah."

I enjoyed the hell out of it, though. I'm a casual follower of the NFL: I enjoy football, I root for my hometown Bengals, and I watch the Super Bowl and usually a few games each season. But if you start talking depth charts, coaches, and player stats, I'll be out of my element pretty quickly. But it was fascinating to learn about the history of the Chiefs (and the AFL/AFC), and to get an idea of the logistics and massive scale of the activity that goes into a game at Arrowhead.

Our tour guide was a "Red Coater" (volunteer for the Chiefs) and did an amazing job. It was also pretty cool to speak briefly with Ray, another Red Coater who is also a retired US Marshall and Secret Service agent.

PXL_20220715_165032907.PANO.jpg

The food, of course, was ridiculous. I was hurting after two large plates of meat from Jack Stack the first night, and Mrs S and I found a couple other local restaurants that helped us pack on a few extra pounds this weekend.

1658766827400.png

And as always, a full weekend of degeneracy is simply amazing, but it's not the poker that makes it so - it's the people. I probably played fewer hours of poker per day than any previous meetup because of all the side activities, but that was a feature, not a bug. It is always amazing to spend time with the good friends I have made thanks to this site, and I love putting faces to names and getting to know others whom I've only talked to this way. I'm not going to try to name everyone who was there, but I do have to call out a few folks:

@chipinla: It was great to meet you and fondle your chips. :sneaky: We finally had some time to talk about things other than our shared love for stupid Skeletor memes, and I look forward to our next meetup together.

@Himewad: I'm glad you we're able to join us, even though it was only for a day. I truly enjoyed the opportunity to finally meet you in person and spend some time getting to know you outside the forum. Thanks again for the pot-splasher, and I hope to see you again soon.

@Grandmasturkey: You are awesome, and I will continue to call you Grand Master Key. ;)

@bsdunbar1 and @Joe Harris: My degenerate brothers, it was great to see you both again and show the rest of these folks that a meetup isn't over until none of us can stand up anymore. The last night just moving chips around the table and refusing to go to bed was probably the most fun I had at the table all weekend. And Bill, thanks again for the bus beers! As always you chose wisely.

@Poker Zombie and @Mrs Poker Zombie: Mrs S was looking forward to meeting you two, and you did not disappoint. It amazes me how much you contribute to every meetup, always helping the hosts in countless ways small and large, and this time was no exception. Thanks, and it was great to see you again.

@inca911, @k9dr, @Lil Tuna, @Ben8257, @FordPickup92: Literally nothing I can say here - you guys are like family, and a meetup without you doesn't really feel like a meetup.

1658768748279.png

Saving the best for last, @Chawks45. Holy Hell, Herbie, how have you not hosted a meetup before? I can't imagine the countless hours of planning and execution that went into this - it was flawless.

It was also great to finally meet you in person, though it did hurt my neck a little to look down that far. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: You are a great host, a solid player (haven't forgotten that fearless bluff that made me fold TPTK at the 1/2 NLHE table), and a great guy to talk to. I look forward to getting to know you better at future meetups, and you can put me on the list for KCS2, as if you had to ask. If I am in the area before then, we will definitely get together.

Schmendr1ck

Straight Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look what came in the mail today!! Thanks @jja412 for introducing me to this!

View attachment 955430
I didn't even get a chance to play that weekend, but if I said I didn't have one sitting in my Amazon cart waiting for me to push the checkout button, I'd be a liar.

Chawks45

Straight
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Soon to be banned at all meet-ups. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO::LOL: :laugh:
Outside of the last night when you all overtook Arrowhead Stadium as the loudest venue in the world and forced the table next to you to move to the other room, my fondest memory was the night before when you introduced me to that game.

"Seven!!! ... You owe a dollar."

I think I owed on like 10 straight rolls.

Last edited:

toothpic

4 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't even know what you guys were playing for but I think your table had the most fun for $1 in the history of fun for $1 :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
We were playing the smallest stakes possible I think. 0.25 for the lowest scratch and $1 for the highest. The pot that got the biggest is when the 7 rolled as the top scratch horse so was $1 if you rolled the 7. I believe the pot was around $200 if I remember correctly.

It wasn't even really about the money, it was just cheering on your horses to win that was fun lol

Top Bottom