The Kansas City Straddle – July 14-17, 2022 (2 Viewers)

FordPickup92

Royal Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man... that went by way too fast!
@Chawks45 man you nailed it. The planning was incredible, the event was incredible, there wasn't a dull moment! I want to thank you and your team for putting together an excellent event, and I would absolutely recommend this meet up to anyone!

Some highlights: I had a blast, I think everyone did. There wasn't a single moment of the entire weekend that didn't include laughter and smiles. The poker was always open, stakes for every player.
The dinner was incredible, the charter bus was fabulous and I want to thank @bsdunbar1 for sharing so many delicious beers. While my play wasn't what I wanted it to be (and that painting is literally a replica of my wallet at the end of this weekend) I had so much fun I almost forgot. There was 2 small glitches to the weekend for me, first off - gummies are most definitely not for me lol. After about an hour and a half I had donked 3 buy ins and found myself in bed in the fetal position.... reboot
Day 2 we enjoyed some breakfast (thanks Matty) followed by the tour of the chiefs stadium which was really cool. Can't thank Herbie and his work connections enough for being so awesome and insightful.
Post tour @Lil Tuna got his TRKs on the felt and cards were in the air until the circus tournament.
Glitch #2 - I discovered it is not ideal to pot for your stack while playing omajack and not fully understanding the rules (facepalm)
Continuing on my run bad I made little progress in the circus tourney, big thanks to @bsdunbar1 for the chips. Jammies and a nap lol congrats to Tuna, Rufus bitchin' while winning and @BEANO52 for making the top 3!
Day 3 was the bittersweet... with everyone knowing the weekend is winding down it was still full of emotion and laughter but also seemed to be a calm in the air. I enjoyed this day quite a bit, having time to chat with more folks and just relax. Enjoyed a stogie on the side porch with Tuna and Mark (who just enjoyed his coke and waters) after punting my tourney stack to @k9dr, who subsequently passed the torch to Forrest lol. Absolutely loved the chips though big shootout to @inca911 for bringing them along. Congrats to @EnjoyLife, Curtis, and @tdccarpenter for the top 3!

As always it's a great pleasure putting names to faces we've not had a chance to meet, and getting to know more about those folks. As well as seeing others again!
Big thanks as always to @k9dr @inca911 @Lil Tuna @Schmendr1ck you guys have become a little family to Ben and I. Always welcoming us and others, and tolerating my ridiculousness at times. Great to see you all, I truly enjoy the time we are able to spend together and looking forward to the next time! @Brad1316 and @BootySnatcher you two have become very good friends to both Ben and, I it's a great pleasure seeing you both.
@Joe Harris and @BEANO52 great to finally meet you both! We got to spend some time at the tables together and I enjoyed the tough competition!
@tdccarpenter and @Grandmasturkey props to you both for jumping in the circus games on a quick learning curve and having the stones to play with some more seasoned folk. Enjoyed sitting down with both of you!
@bsdunbar1 thank you again for sharing your brews, they were great and you were a trip at the tables!

I also think I got some time at the tables with @Himewad @jja412 @Poker Zombie @Mrs Poker Zombie and a few others briefly

I also want to thank @Pawn38 and @tdccarpenter for the rides to and from the airport, we really appreciate you guys! And @Lil Tuna for chauffering us around with all them horses :wtf:

Oh and I almost forgot! Cheers the 5am crew shutting the place down! There was so much laughter at the table up till we all decided we didn't know what game we were playing anymore!

My memories are somewhat of a blur at times so if I forgot to tag anyone in particular I apologize

As always my final shout out to @Ben8257 my partner in traveling crime
He always puts up with me behind the scenes and when folks aren't always watching, without his never ending support I'd probably give up half way through these things sometimes when I'm having a run bad. So not only is it incredible to have a person so special to make all these great memories with, there's also never enough thank yous for having that rock you need at your side sometimes. Another one in the books!

Last edited:

TX_Golf_N_Poker

4 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So just WOW! I can't compete with all these other great wrap-up posts, (my memory is too bad - LOL!) but I do want to get in a big THANK YOU TO @Chawks45 !!! Herbie, you are the man! You and all your committee members knocked this out of the park.

To anyone reading this who has never been to a PCF meetup, you are only hurting yourself. I've known for more than two years that PCF was made up of hundreds of amazing people. To a person, everyone I have ever had dealings with on this site has been friendly, gracious, honest, and just plan enjoyable to interact with. And now after meeting a few of those people in person, as well as quite a few others that I had not dealt with before, I know that this is more than true. PCF is a true community of high quality people with integrity. Not to mention a hell of a lot of FUN!!! I should probably tag some folks here, but I really don't want to miss anyone, so everyone, please know how much I enjoyed meeting, talking with and playing poker with each and every one of you.

Again, to anyone who has not been to a meetup yet - one of my concerns was that I'm not a very experienced poker player, and I didn't want to lose a whole bunch of money to all these sharks! LOL! Well everyone who advised me was right. Even though I had a super strict budget, I still played a LOT of poker, and still came home with a decent amount of money in my pocket. There was always a low stakes game to be found, and there was also tons of patience exhibited by the pros, and many learning opportunities for me. I was a little intimidated by the thought of the circus games, but there was no need to be. First of all most these games are based on Hold'em and Omaha, so the learning curve was not really that steep. And more importantly, there were micro stakes ($0.10/0.20 blinds) kiddie tables both Thursday night and early Friday before the Circus tournament, so plenty of time to get comfortable with these games. I am going to thank @Mrs Poker Zombie and @inca911 for all their help getting me comfortable with these games. In fact, I ended up lasting much longer in the circus tournament than I did in the Hold'em tournament!

So with one PCF meetup down, my only question is, which one am I going to next??? Really would love to see one happening in either Houston or Austin/San Antonio within the next year or so. If anyone is considering trying to get one going, (@toothpic ?) let me know and I am on board to help with planning and pre-meetup ground work.

Ben8257

Royal Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I definitely need to learn those circus games. I felt so far out of my element. I enjoyed trying to learn them at the beginner table, but punted off $40 in the first 10 minutes, lol. Also, that sticky buy was HUGE!
That's why we always like to have a beginner table. And the absolute best teachers were there at the table. @inca911 and the Zombies. The games can be overwhelming at first... almost like a foreign language... unfortunately many of us didn't even have the micro table to learn them on. Punt $40... for many of us it was several hundred dollar punts. BUT once you get the hang of them it is hard to go back to playing just holdem. So many more possibilities... I mean how many times do we spend 3 or 4 orbits folding every hand with Q4, 39, J2 and so on... but in these games you get enough cards and more possibilities of making those little nut Straights, we see quads almost every single session multiple times, I had my first two straight flushes ever this weekend, quads multiple times. That stuff just doesn't happen very often in holdem.

Not for everyone, some never really get comfortable playing them. But I hope everyone atleast gives them a chance. We have had many skeptical players that say "no way" they watch and see the excitement and eventually join us and learn to love them as well! We have one game that is literally zero holdem, also @Goldfish says "no holdem" in his card room.

Funny... many hosts say "I don't think there will be enough intrest in a micro table" as you saw the majority of the time it was running it looked pretty dang full to me!

Circus games Addict Ben! Lol

PS: have you taken any naked zelfies with the Belt on yet @EnjoyLife ?if you do feel free to shoot me a PM! Lmao again congratulations on the victory!!

EnjoyLife

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
PS: have you taken any naked zelfies with the Belt on yet @EnjoyLife ?if you do feel free to shoot me a PM! Lmao again congratulations on the victory!!

Lol, no naked selfies, you sicko. My wife agreed with me that the championship belt was badass. It’s already on display for @jja412 and @AnteAndy and @BEANO52 to see when they come over for poker games :). I plan on defending that title next year and will be prepared for the Circus games next year to play at the big boys/girls tables.

Ben8257

Royal Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was so in love with Steve's Cantina chips I didn't even take a picture. Easily one of my favorite customs ever. I know you got pics @chipinla did you post them in the thread brother? I still need to scroll back through pages (steal others pictures because I absolutely suck at taking pictures) but seriously thank you for letting us run those Friday Night! Love those H mold 414s so much!!

Everyone hated the Green $20, got confused it was a $25... made me love it even more! Haha

FordPickup92

Royal Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was so in love with Steve's Cantina chips I didn't even take a picture. Easily one of my favorite customs ever. I know you got pics @chipinla did you post them in the thread brother? I still need to scroll back through pages (steal others pictures because I absolutely suck at taking pictures) but seriously thank you for letting us run those Friday Night! Love those H mold 414s so much!!

Everyone hated the Green $20, got confused it was a $25... made me love it even more! Haha
Guilty of everything here haha kinda bummed I didn't post any pics now damn
But also yeah green $20 = super tilty

chipinla

4 of a Kind
Reaction score

17DDF404-808D-469C-BA2A-DB6025FEE6AD.jpeg

@Ben8257 why is @Schmendr1ck ’s stack so much bigger than yours? Uhoh… out of context thread here we come!

Ben8257

Royal Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ben8257

Royal Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So just WOW! I can't compete with all these other great wrap-up posts, (my memory is too bad - LOL!) but I do want to get in a big THANK YOU TO @Chawks45 !!! Herbie, you are the man! You and all your committee members knocked this out of the park.

To anyone reading this who has never been to a PCF meetup, you are only hurting yourself. I've known for more than two years that PCF was made up of hundreds of amazing people. To a person, everyone I have ever had dealings with on this site has been friendly, gracious, honest, and just plan enjoyable to interact with. And now after meeting a few of those people in person, as well as quite a few others that I had not dealt with before, I know that this is more than true. PCF is a true community of high quality people with integrity. Not to mention a hell of a lot of FUN!!! I should probably tag some folks here, but I really don't want to miss anyone, so everyone, please know how much I enjoyed meeting, talking with and playing poker with each and every one of you.

Again, to anyone who has not been to a meetup yet - one of my concerns was that I'm not a very experienced poker player, and I didn't want to lose a whole bunch of money to all these sharks! LOL! Well everyone who advised me was right. Even though I had a super strict budget, I still played a LOT of poker, and still came home with a decent amount of money in my pocket. There was always a low stakes game to be found, and there was also tons of patience exhibited by the pros, and many learning opportunities for me. I was a little intimidated by the thought of the circus games, but there was no need to be. First of all most these games are based on Hold'em and Omaha, so the learning curve was not really that steep. And more importantly, there were micro stakes ($0.10/0.20 blinds) kiddie tables both Thursday night and early Friday before the Circus tournament, so plenty of time to get comfortable with these games. I am going to thank @Mrs Poker Zombie and @inca911 for all their help getting me comfortable with these games. In fact, I ended up lasting much longer in the circus tournament than I did in the Hold'em tournament!

So with one PCF meetup down, my only question is, which one am I going to next??? Really would love to see one happening in either Houston or Austin/San Antonio within the next year or so. If anyone is considering trying to get one going, (@toothpic ?) let me know and I am on board to help with planning and pre-meetup ground work.
This post right here folks! Evverytime you hear me stress just come out to ONE meet up... no matter how. Intimated you may feel. All of that goes away. My hand to God... I didn't even know this was Mark's forst meet up, didn't even notice him on the low stakes tables and he jumped right in and held hhiiis own. Like a seasoned vet at the higher stakes tables with us.... haha... higher stakes... freaking $.25/$.50. It's really not about shipping bank rolls, ssuure buying change hands and yes there are some meettups that have 10k on a table... butrt most. Run perfectly wwwell woth a sub $3k total bank.

Mark I honest to God thought you had been to several and were dully knowledgeable in the mix games. You called your own games. Kept up with the action, declared your hands properly... obviously you did have a couple of amazing teachers over there. But you fit in perfectly at the regular table too!

Both you and your wife both had smiles on your faces the entire weekend! I heard her over there screaming at the Horse racing game! I love your post... but it was obvious the "meet up bug" grabbed a hold of you brother!

Know you guys are always welcome out here on the east coast! Was a pleasure finally meeting you sir and look forward to doing nit again sometime!

Darson

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about Dallas?

postmanpete

High Hand
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a great time guys! Most fun I've had in years!

@Chawks45 - you set a really tough standard for others that want to put on a meet up!

This was my first one and won't be the last. Thanks to everybody who contributed - there were so many people willing to put in their time, money and effort into making the event fun.

I have to say thanks for patience of @Mrs Poker Zombie for teaching us circus games on our microstakes table on Thursday. I missed getting in the circus tournament on Friday, but that was probably a good thing. I had a lot of fun playing more small stakes with @chipinla's Shawshank set that night instead.

zombies_3329.jpg

@Poker Zombie and @Mrs Poker Zombie in the press room at Arrowhead:

It was really nice to meet so many of you and I wish I would have gone around to talk more with more people. I hope to see you all again soon. Not sure when the next meetup is, but I'll try to be there. Also - so many folks from Kansas City that I didn't know! We should try to get together soon.

If I could Double Like a ton of posts from all of you, I would!

Also - if anybody happens to have seen the hand that knocked me off the final table, I was trying to describe it and can't quite remember. I am not sure who all was in the hand with me but all 3 of us that went in were getting kind of low stacked. Feel free to remind me how this went down - it turned out to knock 2 of us out. Best of my recollection:

Me (player 1): AJs (diamonds)
Player 2: Qx unsuited (this goes on to be the winning hand with a straight)
Player 3: KTs (I think...) (this hand was drawing to a straight flush - I think it came up short on hitting a jack).

Flop: A x x (puts me on a pair of Aces but one card helps both the other players straights)
Turn: A (now I'm on trip Aces - no help to the other hands)
River Q (I think - at first several of us including myself thought I had it with trip aces -but player 2's straight completes, player 3's straight flush misses)

Myself and player 3 are out and the table goes to 5 players.

Future reference - take pics of your hands when they're fun cliff hangers before the next hand. Get a pic of the expression of the winner (and one yourself with a frowny face).

I also should say since this was my first real tournament, and I'm a new player - it really was a fun, friendly environment to come play in - so next time there's a meet up you can attend - you should go! It'lll be fine. Just play with what you're comfortable losing. I brought 500 which was okay for me to lose and I never was stressed about money. So don't be too worried about the members who play 5 times a week. You'll make it all weekend as long as there are some low stakes games. And you can stop anytime (outside of tournament play) and walk around, shoot the breeze with other members or grab some food. No pressure entertainment:)

Thanks very much to everybody again- The dedication of so many of you to make it a good time for all was really noticed and appreciated. I don't talk a lot when I'm just meeting people - but don't worry. You'll get tired of me talking soon enough!

Thanks again!
Toby - aka PostmanPete (and and chipinla would say - I'm not a postman and my name is not Pete)

Last edited:

Poker Zombie

Royal Flush
Reaction score
Hmmm. Maybe I need to check the zombie schedule. :)
@Ben8257 and @FordPickup92 are always welcome at the Zombie house when you are in the area! We'll even set up the guest room (which currently looks Chinese sweat shop after embroidering 99 items for the meet-up) if Bens family is too far to drive after a night of poker.
1658248773304.png

Justin Olson

Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fantastic Event
Herbie @Chawks45 put on a spectacular itinerary. You did a great job with the mix of veteran and rookie meet up attendees. The amount of time and effort you spent on swag and awards was truly appreciated. Awesome venue with great food picked out, really fun local chippers and great local players.
Was great meeting them and shout out to Tom @tdccarpenter, had a blast playing with you and your Terribles
Loved the tourney structure set up with Bill @bsdunbar1, great TD and host as well as a blast to have at the table as a table
Got to use some great tourney Chips provided by Bill
36D09D3D-4F1A-453D-9866-86611701973F.jpeg

and Forrest @inca911
9D5445A9-5282-4C74-BCB0-1B4B322AC11A.jpeg

Was so good to see and hang out with @Mrs Poker Zombie and @Poker Zombie Liz and MJ are always great to be around on and off the table. Thanks for hanging out with me.
Forrest @inca911 , Mark @k9dr , Chris @Schmendr1ck, Rufus @BootySnatcher and Alayn @Joe Harris great seeing and playing with all of you again. Such a feeling of comfort and enjoyment hanging out with you folks along with the Zombies and Bill.
Fun to meet @toothpic @TX_Golf_N_Poker @RowdyRawhide @Chester Copperpot @Grandmasturkey @Vacuum. Was a fun time.
Iman I really like your Kings
EF815725-2C67-4792-B1A0-814D8C19B11E.jpeg

Matt @Lil Tuna i can see why you are a meet up favorite. Great guy!
Great chips
5E74C487-67D2-4389-B6D6-696E33104AEE.jpeg

@Brad1316 and @BEANO52 I think I enjoyed myself the most playing at your guys’ tables. We played a lot of the games I really liked and you really liked. Great table mates.
Great to meet the Button Master in person. @Himewad I truly hope we attend meet ups together again
@FordPickup92 Brie was a pleasure to be at a meet up with you. Your presence in the room was great. You kept your tables moving and having a blast. Fantastic Table Captain.
Big big fan of the PCAs
1E0B923D-8204-42CB-A0CB-DF54B9B88648.jpeg
@Ben8257
My chipping, button collecting, bearded brother. I really enjoyed the time I had playing with you and just sitting next to you talking. I feel the passion you have for making sure your table mates and friends are having a good time. Ben is one of a kind and a valuable member to our group. Love you brother. I am sure that something can be arranged so you get a replacement hat for the one that Brie liberated Saturday night when we see each other again at the Philly meet up.

I’m very privileged to have been included in this group.

Thank you all.

TX_Golf_N_Poker

4 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about Dallas?
DiD books up pretty fast and is currently on a wait list. For me personally, I'm not available for that date. Plus August in Dallas is HOTTER than he!!

What's wrong with trying to get another one going? Texas is big enough to handle it. Maybe have one between October and March when the weather is halfway bearable and we can do some things outdoors.

TX_Golf_N_Poker

4 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Ben8257 and @FordPickup92 are always welcome at the Zombie house when you are in the area! We'll even set up the guest room (which currently looks Chinese sweat shop after embroidering 99 items for the meet-up) if Bens family is too far to drive after a night of poker.
View attachment 952068
Now that you have posted this online for all to see, I think you're going to need to buy a bigger house!!! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Poker Zombie

Royal Flush
Reaction score
Well, it's been a few days, but I think I finally got enough sleep to post a post-trip report. To avoid a massive trip report, I will break this down by days. Not because you might be frightened by a TLDR post, but because I an dealing with an injury that makes typing a challenge.

Wednesday
Herbie was in contact with us from the second we landed. He was still taking care of a few last minute details, but it was good to know we weren't the only ones bursting at the seams anticipating the meet. KC is famous for BBQ, and of course everyone has their favorites. Sites like Yelp or TripAdvisor are absolute trash for research anymore, but the internet is a vast world of information. And I found a comment indicating that this place...
1658336657146.png

...had one of the best side dishes in all of KC. So we gave them a shot.
1658336745476.png

The potato salad casserole absolutely crushed it. Thanks to @Schmendr1ck for giving us the tip. The meats were also very good, and the pulled pork was hands-down, the best pulled-pork I've ever had (and I think mine is pretty good). We didn't get ribs on this massive platter, so I can't rate them. The jalapeno sausage was very good, but lacked a real kick and needed the spicy BBQ sauce to give it the required kick. The brisket was the least impressive part of the meal. It wasn't bad, but it was average at best. In a city of BBQ, that cannot be acceptable. The burnt ends were also quite good, but the Atlanta area's SmokeJack from @Mr Tree 's meet-ups still holds the crown.

After lunch we went back to Harrah's for a nap. That was a lot of food.

After a nap we went downstairs to play a little poker. Why poker before 3 days of non-stop poker? Because I wanted to know what it would feel like to win.
1658338003406.png

This would be the last time I finished up playing hold'em for the weekend. :cautious:

For dinner, it was a quick jot down the road to a little Italian restaurant located in the middle of a small working-class neighborhood. Typically, this is the kind of place you would expect to see the Sopranos having dinner, and using it as a front for "family business". But this place was packed. Line out the door packed. You can't launder money if you are too successful (these are the useless things you learn when you spend your childhood with mob families). Maybe the Garozzo family has gone legit.

Either way, we were expected - and were rushed past the line to a table (also things you learn when you spend your childhood with mob families).

1658338689943.png

I know, I know... ordering seafood in a land-locked state may not be the best idea, but I was wearing a white shirt and didn't want to adorn it with a red sauce.

Dinner was extremely flavorful, though the shrimp was pushing the bottom end of overdone. Typical for perfectly cooked shrimp bedded on a very hot plate of pasta. Mrs Zombie's dinner bordered on perfection.
1658339107305.png

After dinner we went back to Harrah's to meet @Chawks45 , and other early arrivals, @Lil Tuna , @k9dr , and @inca911.
1658339398690.jpeg

It was my first time meeting Matt (Tuna), and now I know why everyone likes him so - he is just a perpetually happy individual, who infects everyone around him with the same energy. It was great catching back up with Herbie, Mark and Forrest too. It's great having friends all around the country, but better when they all get together over a drink.

That wrapped up day one. Although we were just outside a poker room, I don't think anyone wanted to pay a rake to sit together. We strolled the casino floor a bit just chatting and laughing, before the day of travels wore us down and it was time for bed. Tomorrow, the real gambol begins!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom