The Heirloom Set (Low Lvl, Low Stakes Cash) (1 Viewer)

Some good points. I think you are right about the $1 in particular.

Yeah thanks, I was stuck on the $1 and the blue and the white over and over. Time to get past that. Just trying some more things here:

View attachment 195030
I think the $1 is going in a better direction now, thanks Mike and Nex. Although I have pretty quickly gone from Lvl 1's to a Lvl 10.. But I guess I am not the first one to do that around here.

This black chip is a proven winner.

https://images.google.com/imgres?im...Tx6yM:&vet=1&w=300&h=300&itg=1&source=sh/x/im

Update:

I have been learning how to use Inkscape in order to get a better draft of the inlay. This is not the finished Inlay etc.

2 inch test.png

I have also received color and mold samples and I can see why everyone says how important that is. At first it was overwhelming but I have found a few ways to help visualize a finished chip using the color samples.

If you roll up a piece of paper into a round tube and look down through it at a base chip partially covered by other chips, you can visualize a finished chip with edge spots. Or you can use use your hands/fingers to hide the excess material of a edge spot color as you hold it over a base chip.

Just wondering about storage options. I'd want something that can hold 600 chips, works well with CPC chips, and is high quality. Is there a certain product line that is well received by this forum? The red velvet 500 case looks so nice from CPC, but right now i'm thinking about getting 600 chips for my set.

Last edited:
If you consider these aluminum cases high quality (or good enough), then really anything you can find will do.

Ok fair enough. I'd potentially be interested in something higher quality than aluminium.

If you mainly want sturdiness (for transport) and are willing to sacrifice some elegance, something really high quality would be a Pelican case filled with chip racks. They are available in lots of different sizes, so they sure also have a good option for 6 racks. Also it appears like most if not all of them are lockable with regular padlocks. I have a 1510 case myself which is good for 14-15 racks.

A filled rack is about 8" long x 3" wide x 2" high, so the 1300 Protector would probably be the best fit for 6 racks. The 1200 might appear to be big enough too, but keep in mind the inner measures provided on the site are without the foam, so you need to subtract a little on all dimensions.

Last edited:
Red chip with that Heirloom inlay is called the Tomato!

Update:

I have been learning how to use Inkscape in order to get a better draft of the inlay. This is not the finished Inlay etc.

View attachment 198886

I have also received color and mold samples and I can see why everyone says how important that is. At first it was overwhelming but I have found a few ways to help visualize a finished chip using the color samples.

If you roll up a piece of paper into a round tube and look down through it at a base chip partially covered by other chips, you can visualize a finished chip with edge spots. Or you can use use your hands/fingers to hide the excess material of a edge spot color as you hold it over a base chip.

Just wondering about storage options. I'd want something that can hold 600 chips, works well with CPC chips, and is high quality. Is there a certain product line that is well received by this forum? The red velvet 500 case looks so nice from CPC, but right now i'm thinking about getting 600 chips for my set.
I have two CPC colour sample sets plus other CPC samples that allow me to mock up the colours in my hands, as I often do, like a chip cookie, rather than laying them flat near each other. If the samples I'm using have edge spots, I simply block them with my fingers so that I only see the colours I'm interested in:

DSC_0072.JPG

I find this gives a better idea of how the spots will look in stacks and how well they contrast with the base colour.

Last edited:
Nice but 3 of the 4 chips have blue and white in them... not a big deal but it might be good to try other colours. That said, it's your money and my opinion means squat in the end.

Your opinion is appreciated very much actually.

As noted above, in future years, the higher denoms will act as lower denoms. Nickles will vanish into penny-values, and quarters into nickle-values, and so forth.

This also has implications on the quantity you order. If you want a useful set for current play, you'll want to consider useful counts across a range of useful denoms, for today. But to make it heirloom-proof, you will need to also buy a useful distribution across a slightly different set of denoms (e.g. drop the lowest, add a new higher) in the future. Which means, for ever denom in common across the two (or more) ranges you're considering, you are now buying the maximum of your needs for each denom.

Add to that the flexibility of increasing utility across a range of buy-in levels, and your needs balloon further.

Keeping this set at 500 would be extremely challenging with these requirements, it seems to me. Without looking at the numbers in detail, it feels like you should be prepared to go at least 200-300 chips higher?

I would agree with @planetary and others. Perhaps consider a "solid" 25c (no edge spots) to bring costs down some and then you could increase your overall chip counts

Not considering your colors above ... I just wanted to show you what I came up with a long time ago that was low cost, SOLID 25c, and L1 for the $1's and $5's and L3 for $25 and $100 ...

Screen Shot 2018-09-10 at 9.19.42 PM.png

Not considering your colors above ... I just wanted to show you what I came up with a long time ago that was low cost, SOLID 25c, and L1 for the $1's and $5's and L3 for $25 and $100 ...

Thanks for sharing it, looks great. The progression is very good in particular.

Is a non denominational set an option?

Hmm I think I am set on having denominations, I am certainly open to a non denomination chip which could be used for a 5c, a $100 or drink token etc.

Design update. Mostly working on the Inlays:

Heirloom Set 2.png

I have been thinking about expanding on the Heirloom set and having a theme for each chip, from Jewelry to Military Medal to Tomato etc.

Design update:

Heirloom Set 3.png

I went to the shop to buy some printer ink. My girlfriend asked if it was to do my tax which is due.. I told her it was to print out draft inlays to put them on base chips to better reflect an end product, and then maybe tax. I find it helps, because the colors or shades on the inlay's do really effect the color scheme.

Here I will document the process by which I design a custom set of CPC poker chips. Even writing this down will help me articulate better what I want to achieve with this set. Any advice or opinions are appreciated.

Goal:

To create a set of Custom Poker Chips to commemorate the birth of my child next year, and to last a lifetime and be passed on down as an heirloom.

Rough Requirements:

approx 500 chips.
5c, 25c, $1, $5 (maybe a $25 but prob not)
Original Inlay design on round 7/8" or 1"
Low Lvl edge Spots. (1-3)
More traditional than modern.

Plan:

To start small. I want to make a lvl 1 spot only set in the pokerchip design tool. This will help me make sure I get the colors right. From there I can add some complexity if needed. I have ordered sample molds and colors so that will help a lot.

Challenges:

In order to design the Inlays I may need to upgrade my software beyond MS Paint.. I will have to look into the forums a bit more and find information on making ones own inlay design.

Choosing the chip color order is difficult. I am in two minds. Do I make the $1 white/blue, the $5 red etc.. or do I go White, Red, Black, Green Yellow for denom order. Its hard to say right now, need a lot more time in the design tool.

Mockups:

Here is what I have done so far in order from top to bottom.

View attachment 194445

I think the bottom set us great but yes take yer time and hire a designer.

I’ve been thinking about chip design and breakdown a lot recently for a future custom set as well. As stated previously ITT, I think you should expand the size of your set if you really want to create a truely playable, future proof heirloom set. For myself, that means at least 900 chips, possibly more. Here’s what I’ve been considering:

A hotstamped, spotted non denominated frac-100
A $1 chip with a standard round inlay-200/300
A $5 with some type of shaped inlay-400
A $20/$25 with different shaped inlay-200

For a total of 900-1000 chips, dependent on the number of $1s ordered.

I like having a non denom frac as it can be used either as a 0.25 or a 0.50. A set like this is also playable at $1/$2 stakes. As the frac chip is non denominated, it can also be used as a $100 chip when playing $1/$2.

Hope this helps

I too have thought about a hot stamped chip. Is it easy to combine with an order of inlaid chips, or is it akin to getting multiple molds in an order?

Its an extra design challenge to make a chip that can be a 5c and a $100, but worth exploring.

I too have thought about a hot stamped chip. Is it easy to combine with an order of inlaid chips, or is it akin to getting multiple molds in an order?

Its an extra design challenge to make a chip that can be a 5c and a $100, but worth exploring.

From my understanding, getting one hotstamped chip shouldn’t be an issue.

Regarding a chip that sees double duty, I also was considering adding a nickel chip that would double as a $500. Probably wouldn’t ever need a $500, but hey, I really want to future proof my set lol. I’m going to do a Cali set and the base colors I have in mind are:

Retro lavender as a non denom frac/nickel/five hundo
Bright white as a non denom frac/quarter/hundo
DG peacock $1
DG Saturn $5
DG tiger $20/$25

Then the white non denom can double as hundos and the lavender chip becomes the quarter for 0.25/0.50.

If the game grows to $1/$2, then the lavender frac can double as a five hundo if needed.

I think it’s a pretty solid idea, except for the fact that I have no money to make it a reality lol

I get future proofing for custom sets, but I have a hard time understanding the need for a $500? Think about how you play and what your objectives are. I like handing a barrel of each denomination when we play, say 25c/50c with $20 buy in, barrel 25c and 15x $1 for each player, after 10 buy in’s then just $1’s, after 200x $1’s on the table start peeling out $5’s ... in the bigger stakes, $2/$5 ... barrel of $1’s, 16x $5 ... after 200x $5’s on the table start peeling out the $25’s ... then if you ever start play even more money .... $5’s and $25’s then peeling to $100’s.....

900 chips ... very future proof ... Total Pot = $16,250

200x 25c = $50
200x $1 = $200
200x $5 = $1000
200x $25 = $5,000
100x $100 =$10,000

I get future proofing for custom sets, but I have a hard time understanding the need for a $500

No one said that a $500 was needed but why not get one made if you can or want to?

Edit: the same can be said for your proposed breakdown. No one needs 2 racks of quarters for a single table, but that’s what you want so why not?

@RichMahogany All opinions here correct? Am I not allowed to express mine ?!? Haha

My point was we are talking 25c, next i saw 5c ... haha ... then $500 ... so I said, think about how “he” plays, as we all play differently. Then I provided my example, not right or wrong, but I hate playing when the table ...every single hand... someone is saying, “yo, 8x 25c for $2” or “yo, 10x $1 for 2x $5” ... it gets old ...

Although in the spirit of less chips, could certainly do a non-denomination chip for 25c and $100 ... then subtract 100x from the total. Not personally a fan of non-denomination chips, but it’s an option.

@RichMahogany All opinions here correct? Am I not allowed to express mine ?!? Haha

My point was we are talking 25c, next i saw 5c ... haha ... then $500 ... so I said, think about how “he” plays, as we all play differently. Then I provided my example, not right or wrong, but I hate playing when the table ...every single hand... someone is saying, “yo, 8x 25c for $2” or “yo, 10x $1 for 2x $5” ... it gets old ...

Although in the spirit of less chips, could certainly do a non-denomination chip for 25c and $100 ... then subtract 100x from the total. Not personally a fan of non-denomination chips, but it’s an option.

Well, I feel like you just made my point for me. If you have people that make $2 bets using all quarters, having more quarters in your set makes those bets more of an option. Really only 1 rack are needed for blinds. Again though, if you want 2 racks then go for it.

I don’t get the point that you’re trying to make. What does having a nickel or $500 chip have to do with people betting with all small chips?

Your right, my bad, you did say “probably wouldn’t need $500”

... but we’ll agree to disagree on chip counts ... I would personally like having 200x 25c chips if playing 25c/50c ...

Jake onward to colors and designs!

I don't know if you've already covered this or settled on a particular mold, but worth noting that the word "heirloom" starts with H. And given the distinguished history of the H-mold, it may be a choice that fits your heirloom theme. Just a thought.

Design update:

I have learned the basics of Inkscape and am working on inlays. I am cutting them out and putting them on sample chips etc.. They are starting to look pretty good, I can finally see now what an end product might look like. Ideally I want to be able to say I designed these chips including the inlays. I would be interested in hiring a designer to 'OK' my designs and make sure they will come out how I expect them too. Is this a possible service they provide? Maybe they will advise me that my font is too small for effective print or that the size of the file is wrong etc.. I'd be looking for peace of mind and an honest opinion etc. But I am not at that stage yet.

Heirloom Inlay Sets A - E.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom