The Great PCF Baking Thread (1 Viewer)

JMC9389

Royal Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone else here bake as a hobby? When push comes to shove, I enjoy baking more than cooking, I think.

I made bread for the first time in almost a year last night, came out nice! Flour, water, salt, and yeast only with 78% hydration proofed overnight and baked in a Dutch oven.

20210130_175523.jpg

20210130_180404.jpg
20210130_181915.jpg

That bread looks incredible!
I bake more than my wife but have not tried bread yet, mostly cookies, brownies, cornbread, muffins, etc. from scratch.
I've learned that under baking cookies by a minute or 2 is the way to go to get a nice dense cookie with the right amount of chew and crunch. Overbaking by even a minute usually makes them too crunchy and dry for my liking. I'm getting close to (my) perfect oatmeal chocolate chip cookie.

Does anyone else here bake as a hobby? When push comes to shove, I enjoy baking more than cooking, I think.

I made bread for the first time in almost a year last night, came out nice! Flour, water, salt, and yeast only with 78% hydration proofed overnight and baked in a Dutch oven.

View attachment 626281

View attachment 626282View attachment 626283
Wow nice crust and airy inside. I just started baking bread, but glutenfree (celiac). And still learning about the importance of steam in the oven. Is the dutch oven to hold the steam inside? I just put a bowl of water for half of the baking time on the bottom of the oven and some ice cubes in the pan. One of my first try at glutenfree bread( its quite complicated imo, psyllium husk, buckwheat flour, potato starch, brown rice flour, active dry yeast, apple cidar vinegar)
IMG_20201108_212126.jpg

PZ cooks while I bake. Translate that to PZ know how to make food, really good food, by feel, taste, and intuition. Meanwhile, I make a good recipe. Lol

I enjoy baking as well as cooking. If you made me choose, I’d pick cooking, but I bake plenty. Only thing I have photos of right now are some apple turnovers I did on Christmas morning. Nothing fancy, but they were delicious.

C965EDD9-620C-430F-BFFE-8EE6EF79F3AF.jpeg

BE21FCBB-AA7C-45D9-8C18-9A8FD52D43AA.jpeg

0FD43774-08EB-4F88-BAF4-B57353554276.jpeg

D34B3DA2-BB93-469F-9143-AE8F50CF13A0.jpeg

I enjoy all things cooking and baking. My partner and I don't enjoy sweet things (unless balanced with super spicy in a savoury dish) so my baking tends to the "healthy" replacement side. Pretty much any commerical or standard baked good to us tastes so sweet it is almost sickening.

By healthier I mean almond, oat or garbanzo flour instead of wheat flour.
Flaxseed seed or chia seed instead of chicken eggs.
No sugar added applesauce or yoghurt instead of butter/oil.
Sneaky shredded vegies (carrot, zucchini, beets etc) and/or legumes (black beans) for moisture.

I often take treats into work and although people can definitely tell them aren't your standard super sugary baked goods, the plates are always empty at the end of the day and people are constantly emailing me for the recipes.

Great looking bread! I love baking, but sadly I cant eat those foods any more.

Any of you bakers have a good sourdough recipe? Next time I make clam chowder I want to make sourdough bread bowls.

I’m jealous. I love to cook and do most of the cooking in our house. But I don’t bake. Wish I could learn. My wife is a fabulous baker so at least one of us can do it.

I need to take the time and effort to at least learn the basics.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom