The Essential Edge: Official Knife Thread (2 Viewers)

Trihonda

Straight Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
A good blade is essential. It’s a useful tool that opens boxes, it cuts rope/seatbelts (if need be), and can be used in self defense (hopefully something that will never be necessary).

Post your favorite handheld edged tools, from everyday carry (EDC) knives, safe queens, camping/hunting blades, and everything in between.

I’m not a crazed knife nut, but I have collected a few knives over the years. I have everything from Swiss Army knives to tactical folders. My favorites have always been Spyderco knives, and I have quite the collection. Here’s are a few examples:

Spyderco Military. Snagged for $26 on eBay. Value over $200. Sees the most time in my pocket due to its overall durability and size (smaller than the manix)

6447086C-033B-4C96-8D96-8AF021E369B3.jpeg
0BD37E43-5B89-4CC2-ABD1-75842B254899.jpeg

Spyderco Manix. Snagged for $100. Valued at $200. Shown with a Sig P239 9mm.

BF8EBEA6-68D3-4457-90B3-F757AE81E1D6.jpeg
DF60ADCD-A414-4E1E-8BE3-222F98CF12E6.jpeg

And my most recent impulse buy... a Medford Custom knife. Snagged for $300. Worth much more. Most I’ve ever spent on a blade. G10 scales, Ti liner lock, D2 steel in a stone wash finish. Probably could Double as a pancake spatula (while camping) according to my coworkers.

3F0B48F8-7C69-4563-B7F9-0F7170F37A57.jpeg
07028054-F5DB-468B-97BE-936847056CC4.jpeg

E0D0CE80-8FBA-453B-A4D3-4F3D82FC2262.jpeg

If this thread grows, I’ll post additional knives. ;)

Bench made Mini Griptillian in limited edition yellow. I’ll taie some pictures this weekend if I get a chance.

Sometimes a Spyderco Tenacious in blue. I love colorful knives!

I don't own any high-end knives but I always carry something decent and reliable.

LftPHDt.jpg

Kershaw Chive
Kershaw Scallion
SOG Visionary I
SOG Meridian
Spyderco Tenacious (PoS!!)
SOG Flash II
CRKT Desert Cruiser

The Visionary is VG10 and my general EDC. Absolutely love that knife. The Flash sees a lot of use around the house but I prefer something a little smaller to carry.

Some day I'll treat myself to a nice Benchmade or custom.

Some day I'll treat myself to a nice Benchmade or custom.

I think Spyderco knives surpass BM knives in quality and desirability. The G10 scaled versions are nice. I have several with micarta or carbon scales, and G10 is my fav.

No pics right now but edc PM2.. great knife. I'm a big fan of Esee fixed blades, have a new kydex sheath and scales coming in for my Izula.

I am partial to Spyderco knives, and I like smaller (Gentleman's) knives.

Favorites: Spyderco Bradley Air, Spyderco G-10 Manbug. For a high-end knife, I have a Chris Reeve Mnandi that is really sweet. If you don't want to use them for self defense, I can't really imagine needing a bigger blade.

L

I am partial to Spyderco knives, and I like smaller (Gentleman's) knives.

Favorites: Spyderco Bradley Air, Spyderco G-10 Manbug. For a high-end knife, I have a Chris Reeve Mnandi that is really sweet. If you don't want to use them for self defense, I can't really imagine needing a bigger blade.

L

Pics of the Reeves or it never happened. :)

I just realized what a "Safe Queen" is. This is mine, a retirement gift from a co-worker. (It matches my former EDC perfectly)

001.jpg

Top Gerber is the LST mentioned in my previous post. The bottom Gerber, an E-Z-OUT, was my work EDC.

002.jpg

And an honorable mention to my Grandfather-in-law, T.J. (R.I.P.) This was his EDC. According to the tang mark made between '65 and '69. He sharpened it a few times.

003.jpg

IMG_20171123_151549.jpg

Current edc, a $20 Kershaw, not sure of the model but I'm happy with it.

I have previously carried a Kershaw chive and leek. I had an SOG for a few but had to give it up at the airport as I forgot about it and I already checked all of my luggage. I tend to lose them so I try to stay on the cheaper side.

The tool that makes into my pocket the most is my Leatherman Skeletool CX. This thing is way more useful than it seems it should be. Well designed with just the right useful tools.

I have replaced electrical outlets with just this thing. And the customer service at Leatherman is awesome. I snapped the blade a few years ago trying to pry something and then replaced the whole thing, no charge.

0016C731-C64F-4AE5-897E-8A9E433D8A96.jpeg
E5BFC108-288D-4AE2-BA18-FB1A61DFE564.jpeg
277E5A2F-46D3-45BB-B9B2-6189E70B6EC5.jpeg
F771A3B1-926D-45C4-8703-69371E42C385.jpeg

L

Edit: all the blades look dirty, likely from opening packages from Amazon.
I’ll need somebody to explain the protruberence on that bottom knife to me. Is that just like an extension to get a better grip?

I’ll need somebody to explain the protruberence on that bottom knife to me. Is that just like an extension to get a better grip?

It's a lanyard. It gives a better grip on a small knife and can make it easier to get out of your pocket as it doesn't have a pocket clip. Entirely optional.

That knife (a Spyderco G-10 Manbug) is quite small. The blade is under 2 inches and the closed length of the knife is under 2.5 inches.

I’m not a crazed knife nut, but I have collected a few knives over the years.

If this thread grows, I’ll post additional knives. ;)

"Not a knife nut." LOL!

"A few" LOL!

Jokes aside, this is a cool thread. Thanks for sharing all.

"Not a knife nut." LOL!

"A few" LOL!

Jokes aside, this is a cool thread. Thanks for sharing all.

Well, the first knife I’ve purchased since my chip collecting days is the Mefford Folder in the OP. That’s a lot of years without any focus on knive collecting.

olfa-knife-l-2_p_1251430_448218.jpg

But seriously, I gotta dig out a few of my knives and take pics, none are 'cool' or 'epic', but I love them and have sharpened them multiple times... just haven't gone camping in 4 years since having a kid so they haven't seen much use!

But that Olfa knife, I use that baby dozens of times every single day :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom