The Doctor Vinnie Boombotz Thread - Let's talk about health (1 Viewer)

Yep all my docs are Hopkins so they did a good job of going through that. I asked them to do a culture “to know” and it turned out to be MRSA. It hurt like hell until I got the right antibiotic. The worst part was this sadistic PA who came in to “drain” it. She put her whole body weight into that job and the pain I experienced was like nothing before or since, albeit very short. Sounds and words came out of me that must have been entertaining to her because she started laughing. Right before she says “I’m going to have to do that one more time”.
Yeah community acquired MRSA is pretty uncommon. Normally it’s MSSA. You probably got a bunch of Vancomycin over several days.

@Tommy: Best of luck to you in your journey back to better health.

As we get a bit older, the challenge becomes to be in the best possible health for this point in your life.

Good luck, @Tommy.

For most people, good health and being in shape is a lifestyle choice. It isn’t a complicated problem set, but it isn’t easy for most people. It takes time and effort every day, which means you aren’t doing something else with that time (opportunity cost), and that’s just too much for most people.

Most people view diets as something to go on for a short period of time, as opposed to something to follow their entire life. (There’s an entire industry around this that doesn’t exactly help all the time.). As such, they quickly fall out of any fad.

Additionally, when people do change their diets or start working out, once they hit their goals or see results they think they’ve arrived. You see it in professional sports teams, a lot - it’s a major reason champions don’t repeat - once they get the ring they think they are there and that’s it. They forget that all the effort that went into getting them there is what will be required to stay there. Like most pursuits, good health isn’t a static destination, it’s more a ship in a gentle current - you have to keep moving against the current or you regress.

While it isn’t all downhill after 43-45, that’s definitely where most men (women?) start to see irreversible degradation of physical ability (body breakdown). With modest effort and good discipline, though, you can change your life and enjoy the best health for which you are genetically coded.

If you haven’t seen Jimmy Johnson’s HOF induction speech, I recommend watching the whole thing, but particularly from 8:40 onward:

Live with intention. Get after it and good luck!

Yeah community acquired MRSA is pretty uncommon. Normally it’s MSSA. You probably got a bunch of Vancomycin over several days.

20 years ago, more than 50% of hospital lab isolates of Staph aureus in the USA was MRSA, to the point where vancomycin (expensive) is *standard empiric* therapy. In Canada, at the same point, it was 8%, so for a long time we can still get away with cloxacillin (cheaper). Lack of antibiotic stewardship drives antibiotic-resistant bacteria, which also causes costs of treatment to escalate.

Down 22lbs, blood pressure was normal, not diabetic, edema is improving. Overall I'm starting to feel better. Much less leg pain.
Awsome Tommy, keep up the good work…
Keep posting progress…peer pressure helps

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom