The Doctor Vinnie Boombotz Thread - Let's talk about health (1 Viewer)

Tommy

Royal Flush
Admin
Supporter
Reaction score

The thread title is taken from one of my favorite comedians, Rodney Dangerfield, but staying heathy is important, especially as we get older. This would be a good thread to discuss past or current health issues, medicines you've taken, and things you've done to get better. It might help someone else who is struggling with the same issues, and may give them information to discuss with their doctor.

When I'm in my 60s, my kids will be in their earlier 20's. I want to be around as long as I can for them. I'm in my late 40's now and have a AM/PM weekly pill box. :( I'm the only one to blame for my current health issues, so I need make some lifestyle changes or I may not make it to 60. Taking Furosemide sucks BTW. I've made 3 trips to bathroom in the last 45 mins.

As a healthcare professional and a taker of 2 things daily my general advice is if you’re overweight and have never had your blood pressure or labs checked because you think you’re perfectly healthy chances are you’re wrong. And if you’re an asian male you’re almost certainly wrong.

As a PSA once your BP comes down from the meds your mood might change too. Kinda part of what brought me to PCF last year.

As a healthcare professional and a taker of 2 things daily my general advice is if you’re overweight and have never had your blood pressure or labs checked because you think you’re perfectly healthy chances are you’re wrong. And if you’re an asian male you’re almost certainly wrong.
I get mine checked every 6 months. My doctor is surprised that I am not diabetic. A few years ago I was in pretty good shape. I use to work out in the field on the RR, then I moved up to positions that are desk jobs. Working 12 and 16 hour shifts, having sleep apnea and not knowing about it for a while, and not watching what I was eating has got me in some trouble. I still have time reverse course without any long-term issues but it's now or never.

I joined a coached gym about five years ago. It's been the only gym I've stuck with because a trainer is basically telling me what to do every step of the way. If you've ever been "gym averse" I'd recommend checking one out. They can be pricey but ultimately it's your quality of life we're talking about.

I use Orange Theory which offers a free first lesson to see if you like it, but I know there are others.

I'm 43 and have had 18" of my colon removed due to several bouts of diverticulitis. Fiber is your friend.

Weird flex, maybe OK :unsure:

colon_0.jpg

Is this where I post pictures of my leg infection that put me in the ER for three days earlier this year? Thank goodness for IV antibiotics.

CA26A021-9266-4994-8239-51F58825F62C.jpeg

I’m about a year and a month from 50 and it’s an interesting time. It seems more important than ever to actually lose those extra 20-30 pounds, than just talk about it.

My dad has served as a perfect role model of what not to do in the health department (amongst many other areas). As he got older he never controlled his weight and didn't take ownership of managing his health issues (type 2 diabetic). As the weight got worse it got much harder to lose as he had knee issues, etc. etc. When he retired at 65 he lived on the couch watching TV, 68 - 78 was pretty much a write off as his health deteriorated and his quality of life was crap.

I tend to go through weight loss/health push in 2 year cycles, I think I've gone up/down in weight about 5 times (nothing too drastic, but noticeable). For me a combo of exercise and calorie monitoring works the best for me (exercise to build muscle but also to serve as a deterrent to eating too much garbage as it's easy to equate exercise time to calories).

This latest stretch I've gotten in the best shape I think I've been in by using the Peloton app religiously since January (one of the benefits of WFH, I swapped my chip cleaning breaks with exercise breaks). I started with Yoga to increase flexibility and added on HITT cardio and strength training. Doing about 30 hours a month total.

Unfortunately the flip side with getting older is that it is harder to keep the pace up. Recently I've thrown something out in my shoulder/arm and suspect I've pinched a nerve. Been a few days now of not working out and I'm going a little stir crazy, but I want to make sure I'm not aggravating the injury and extending the time until I can fully recover.

I keep hearing that I should monitor my blood pressure at home. Does anyone have a recommendation on which machine to get that doesn't break the bank?

I keep hearing that I should monitor my blood pressure at home. Does anyone have a recommendation on which machine to get that doesn't break the bank?
Check your health insurance. You may be eligible for a device and app. Both me and my wife got one for free and it syncs automatically with the app to help track it. Plus a coach will call every week to track your progress if you let them.

Check your health insurance. You may be eligible for a device and app. Both me and my wife got one for free and it syncs automatically with the app to help track it. Plus a coach will call every week to track your progress if you let them.
I didn't even think of that. Going to give them a call tomorrow. Thanks!

How often you use it is more important than what kind you get or how much you spend. As long as you use one model consistently, you’ll see any major changes over time. If there’s a model with a memory function, that can take a lot of the hassle out of things too

Make sure you get a proper cuff size and bring it in to your doctor's appointment to make sure it's accurate and you know how to place it properly.

I'm 52 and starting to rack up diagnoses. It started with sleep apnea. Undiagnosed for years because my HEENT thought he should just cut out my uvula. Then the inevitable high blood pressure (family history), under control with one med. Then somewhat high cholesterol, also under control (scarily effective) on one med. Now unfortunately staring diabetes in the face. Not overweight, getting regular exercise, have cut out 80% of my refined sugar and more than 50% of dairy. Blood sugar still suck, so started a new med for that, and will ramp up dose over the next year.

And I'm a clinical pharmacist, so I know what I'm risking down to the last minor detail with the drugs I'm taking. No side effects of note so far. Better than not getting things under control. Hyperglycemia usually takes about 20 years to kill you, but I'd rather live longer than 72 thank you very much.

Getting older sucks. Almost none of my older relatives got these problems as early as my generation. And most of them are doing very well in their 80's and even early 90's.

Fwiw, many health care plans offer gym memberships at substantial discounts. Mine offers LA Fitness for $25 per month...

Who is your health insurance? Contact them and they may give you one for free.

How did it start?
I had a bit of exema and my Labrador licked it :cautious:

Day one - Bactracine from med cabinite
Day two - went to patient 1st got anyibiotic
Day three - went to real doctor got stronger antibiotic
Day four - went to hopkins ER where they said “it’s good you came”

Who is your health insurance? Contact them and they may give you one for free.
Aetna. I have an appt with my primary care doctor tomorrow. I'll see what he says and if I need a script for it.

“Aetna. I have an appt with my primary care doctor tomorrow. I'll see what he says and if I need a script for it.”

I’d do a quick search of Aetnas website first. I had to fill out a form and then have the doc sign it and then mail it back to the insurance co. If you have the form with you, maybe doc can sign right then?

I had a bit of exema and my Labrador licked it :cautious:

Day one - Bactracine from med cabinite
Day two - went to patient 1st got anyibiotic
Day three - went to real doctor got stronger antibiotic
Day four - went to hopkins ER where they said “it’s good you came”
That’s the usual path. If you had shown up in an ER earlier they would have sent you home with oral antibiotics anyway. And instructions to come back if it doesn’t improve/gets worse.

Most people don’t realize antibiotics are pretty specific to certain things. I know my dad thinks all antibiotics are interchangeable and do the same thing. Which is why the story makes a big difference (dog mouth vs typical skin flora) so make sure to include details like that to your healthcare provider in general.

Stuff we want to know:

What kind of pain (sharp,dull,intermittent,constant)

Duration (hours,days,etc)

What makes it better or worse (position,meds,time of day)

We’re fishing for particularly worrisome signs that determine if your problem is worth further study or admission.

That’s the usual path. If you had shown up in an ER earlier they would have sent you home with oral antibiotics anyway. And instructions to come back if it doesn’t improve/gets worse.

Most people don’t realize antibiotics are pretty specific to certain things. I know my dad thinks all antibiotics are interchangeable and do the same thing. Which is why the story makes a big difference (dog mouth vs typical skin flora) so make sure to include details like that to your healthcare provider in general.

Stuff we want to know:

What kind of pain (sharp,dull,intermittent,constant)

Duration (hours,days,etc)

What makes it better or worse (position,meds,time of day)

We’re fishing for particularly worrisome signs that determine if your problem is worth further study or admission.
Yep all my docs are Hopkins so they did a good job of going through that. I asked them to do a culture “to know” and it turned out to be MRSA. It hurt like hell until I got the right antibiotic. The worst part was this sadistic PA who came in to “drain” it. She put her whole body weight into that job and the pain I experienced was like nothing before or since, albeit very short. Sounds and words came out of me that must have been entertaining to her because she started laughing. Right before she says “I’m going to have to do that one more time”.

• Haha
Reactions: BNM
Anybody want to hear me cry about my recent bout with cancer? Yeah, didnt think so...

I did lose 60 pounds over the course of a few years by starting a running regimen, followed by a general cleaning up of the diet. It's really not as hard as you think to start running, as long as you do so in a healthy and progressive manner (don't go out and start training for a marathon). My first 40 pounds came off by simply getting out the door for 30 minutes at a time and do what you can do. Run when you can, walk when you can't....just be out for 30 minutes 3 times a week. If you can do this religiously for 3 months, your life will begin to change for the better. Good decisions beget more good decisions.

Also, look up www.f3nation.com if you are a guy....it's a great peer led group that does workouts outdoors for free. Most of my current best friends are from this group.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom