The definitive Poker Chip Rack thread? (1 Viewer)

Venturalvn

Full House
Reaction score
I drive myself insane trying to search through the individual comments looking for rack threads, and to be honest I'm not sure how they all differ at this point. Do all 43mm racks not fit inside a cage or just the old PGI ones? Who owns/sells the PGI racks these days? Do different CPC molds fit into 66.7mm vs 67.7mm? Which vendors sell 66.7 vs 67.7?

I couldn't find a resource or thread that answered all this in one shot, and with more and more new (or previously uncommonly home game) manufacturers popping up en masse, I figured what the hell let's get something on the books.

ChipRack SizeRack BrandFits in Chip Cage?Where to Buy
Paulson RHC 39mm, Mint
67.3mm​
ChipCo Internatinal​
Yes​
ABC/BRPro
Paulson THC 39mm, Used
66.7mm​
Paulson, Any​
Yes​
Apache, Spinettis
Paulson THC 39mm, Mint
67.3mm​
ChipCo Internatinal​
Yes​
ABC/BRPro
Paulson THC 39mm, Used
66.7mm​
Paulson, Any​
Yes​
Apache, Spinettis
ASM/CPC (all?) 39mm
67.7mm​
Any?​
Yes​
Spinettis, Key West
ChipCo 39mm
67.3mm​
ChipCo International​
Yes​
ABC/BRPro
Sun-Fly Hybrid 39mm
66.7mm​
Any?​
Yes​
Sun-Fly Hybrid 43mm
43mm​
PGI​
No
ABC/BRPro
Generic Chinese Cards Mold 39mm
66.7mm​
Paulson, Any​
Yes​
Apache, Spinettis
Royals 43mm
43mm​
Bud Jones​
Yes​

Master RackFits Chip SizeRack BrandFits in Chip Cage?Where to Buy
Matsui w/ cover
All 39mm​
Mastui, Apache​
9 5/8" wide (8 7/8" interior platform)​
Apache, Matsui
Matsui w/ cover
All 43mm​
Mastui, Apache​
9 5/8" wide (8 7/8" interior platform)​
Apache, Matsui
Custom 3D printed
Custom​
@One Eyed Dollar

Reviews:
Apache Matsui clone w/ cover: https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/apache-rack-review.65047/

So what do we think? Can we get this thing filled out? Give me your chips, your racks, and your links!

Last edited:
  • Mint to near-mint RHCs and THCs will fit into Chipco 39mm racks very snugly. Chipco racks can be purchased from ABC/BRPro; you can also by a birdcage from ABC/BRPro and it comes with Chipco racks
  • The best racks I've found for 43mm Royals have been the 43mm Bud Jones racks. The Royals have some consistency problems (the reds in particular), so the slightly longer BJ racks fit them better.
  • Matsui racks fit all 39mm and 43mm that I can throw at them; and they easily fit in any birdcage from ABC/BrPro or birdcages from GSE (Amazon/eBay)

Edit:
  • The Matui racks have fit my: 39mm THC/RHC, 43mm Royals, 43mm ABC Ceramics, 43mm Sunfly Polyinno
  • All generic non-branded Chinese racks fit mint THC/RHC loosely and are garbage IMO

Last edited:
Also, some info on Acrylic Birdcages & Matsui Racks:
  • A birdcage that measures 8.75" wide (8 3/8" interior platform) will NOT fit Matsui racks.
  • A birdcage that measures 9 5/8" wide (8 7/8" interior platform) WILL fit Matsui racks.

Funny thing about Paulson chips, is they dont fit all that well in Paulson racks. Not minty anyway. So it gets a little more difficult to say as chip sizes vary with wear.

CPC chips also tend to vary in thickness. This is a function of mold wear and I've even found differences based on colors (unweighted vs weighted). They are made by hand, so you can expect some variance.

I think this is why such a resource does not exist.

Funny thing about Paulson chips, is they dont fit all that well in Paulson racks. Not minty anyway. So it gets a little more difficult to say as chip sizes vary with wear.

CPC chips also tend to vary in thickness. This is a function of mold wear and I've even found differences based on colors (unweighted vs weighted). They are made by hand, so you can expect some variance.

I think this is why such a resource does not exist.
Yes, I have 1 Paulson rack and I've noticed that. This is where 3D3P's spacers (1mm and up) can really help.

Does anyone have any idea what the 39mm Sun-Fly hybrids can fit into?

@BGinGA who did the PGI rack assets go to? Are these molds still available from one of PCFs vendors?

Branded 67.7 racks are the best fit for most ASM/CPC chips although I have some that fit into Chipco racks. Buy them from Spinettis or Key West

And I prefer Chipco racks for Paulsons better than Paulson racks and/or 66.7 branded racks.

Branded 67.7 racks are the best fit for most ASM/CPC chips although I have some that fit into Chipco racks. Buy them from Spinettis or Key West

And I prefer Chipco racks for Paulsons better than Paulson racks and/or 66.7 branded racks.

Mint Paulsons are snug in 66.7. Some people think they’re too snug, so that’s why Chipcos are preferred.

Chipco racks vary between 67.2-67.5 and fit most chips people here like. Some ASM/CPC might not fit, so 67.7 branded racks are better.

Cheap racks vary between 69-71mm. They’re good for mass-market and some China clay chips that tend to be a bit thicker.

I purchased from mine from @Spinettis Gaming Chip tray Clear Polystyrene with 66.7mm insert for 39mm chips

IMG_20201024_231310482 (1).jpg
IMG_20201023_072943646.jpg
IMG_20201023_072957479 (1).jpg

Does anyone make plastic racks that nest and stack when empty ?

I'm using generic racks, and have extras, but storing the extras is annoying because they don't stack by themselves... only when filled with chips.

I can't believe that in all the decades Vegas has been buying racks to put chips in nobody ever thought "Hey, why don't we get some that don't fall over when we pile up the empty ones!"

I'm using generic racks, and have extras, but storing the extras is annoying because they don't stack by themselves... only when filled with chips.

I can't believe that in all the decades Vegas has been buying racks to put chips in nobody ever thought "Hey, why don't we get some that don't fall over when we pile up the empty ones!"
I place the top one upside down on the bottom one; they stack pretty well when I do that; but a good nudge will knock them over. Definitely more stable than normal stacking.

Covered racks, like Matsui or Bud Jones stack empty or full, but take up the same amount of room.

I put the empties I usually need in a cardboard box. Pull them out on game day and spread them around the room so if someone needs one, it is within easy reach. At the end of the night, they go back in the box.

It's not the prettiest solution, but they are empty racks - they aren't going on display.

For my new CPC chips, I find the best fit of racks I already own is "Made in China" racks I got with my brybelly birdcages. I haven't tried out the 67.7 racks, but would definitely try them if they take care of one flaw I feel the MiC racks have. For some of my barrels, the chips are sliiiiightly too wide for the racks. This causes there to be a gap where the bottom of the chip should be touching the rack, but instead the chip is held up on the sides of the rack. Here's a pic where you can see what I'm talking about.

PXL_20201113_165440741~2.jpg

Does anyone with 67.7 racks from key west or cpc have this issue with them? I don't feel like I can store these racked more than 3 high with this issue in most of my racks.

For my new CPC chips, I find the best fit of racks I already own is "Made in China" racks I got with my brybelly birdcages. I haven't tried out the 67.7 racks, but would definitely try them if they take care of one flaw I feel the MiC racks have. For some of my barrels, the chips are sliiiiightly too wide for the racks. This causes there to be a gap where the bottom of the chip should be touching the rack, but instead the chip is held up on the sides of the rack. Here's a pic where you can see what I'm talking about.

View attachment 573244

Does anyone with 67.7 racks from key west or cpc have this issue with them? I don't feel like I can store these racked more than 3 high with this issue in most of my racks.
Yeah this is a big pet peeve of mine for the MiC racks. I see this quite often with non branded racks. Great picture to show off why the different racks make a difference!

Couldn't have found a pretty chip to show it, either :D

Yeah this is a big pet peeve of mine for the MiC racks. I see this quite often with non branded racks. Great picture to show off why the different racks make a difference!

Couldn't have found a pretty chip to show it, either :D
Can you confirm that this doesn't happen with 67.7 racks?

i own few enough chips that matsui is now my forever rack, they fit nice and snug in my bird cages. i have versa cases to hold everything beyond my "main" set.

I use mostly Bud Jones racks for 39mm Paulsons. Rack width is 67.9mm. Rack chip diameter is slightly larger than 39mm which prevents the issue @madforpancakes mentions above. Mint Paulson, ASM, and BJ chips fit great.

CPC chips are all a hair different depending on the mold. The 67.7 racks from key west fit pretty much all them very well, especially from the point of barrel heights. They are 39mm in diameter, so you'll get the same issue as pictured by @madforpancakes above. The extent of the gap depends on the mold. I have 4 different cpc molds, each a slightly different diameter:

HG: 39.3mm
Scroll: 39.6mm
HHR/CSQ: 39.4mm

20201114_155208.jpg

20201114_155240.jpg

20201114_155335.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom