The CPC "speed bump" - a bit out of hand these days (1 Viewer)

I’m curious about the Paulson speed bumps, b/c I’ve never seen any on them—just sometimes those very subtle, regular, concentric light grooves—which appear to be intentional not accidental.

I have very occasionally seen weird pits/deformations on Paulson edges, like the ones on these Metallic Golds which I posted about a while back, but that is a different thing. Definitely a production flaw, but not speedbumps.

metallicgold-113B.jpegmetallicgold-93C.jpg

Sorry for the necro. Only stumbled across this thread after a longer absence from the forums.

The chips from the heavily cropped photos in OP are mine, so I guess my input couldn't hurt this thread.
(@Venturalvn no hard feelings; it was completely obvious to me that taking the pics of my chips as an example for this phenomenon had absolutely nothing to do with your general opinion of my chip sets, even without the explanatory paragraph you put up there.)

I did notice those speed bumps, I've had them in all but the latest two orders which both arrived this year. It does look unsightly, and yes if you closely check out the edge you can definitely see that it is not flat.

However, the amounts and the degree of "severity" are varying.

For the H mold chips I barely had any, and those only had very, very light speed bumps that you can see but barely feel. And none of them prevented the chips from standing on their edge. I've quickly checked the racks of the main set (3200 chips) and of those, 38 had visible speed bumps. I didn't check the non-denom chips and dedicated replacements I have in the cupboard which are another 460 or so, but this should give a rough impression.

On my FDL mold chips on the other hand, there were a LOT of them.

183 chips of 1600 in the tournament set, 191 of 1620 in the cash set. Again without having checked my reserve of emergency replacements and neither the bounty chips (about 280 chips tournament and 140 cash). And here, the bumps are very visible even when you hold up an individual chip's edge. A good number of them also does have trouble standing on the edge.

I didn't contact CPC about it so far. For my very first set, I was new to CPC and assumed that was something normal and purely cosmetic in the process, especially as none of the H mold ones had trouble standing on their edge.
For the later FDL sets... I don't know why I didn't.

Last edited:
Sorry for the necro. Only stumbled across this thread after a longer absence from the forums.

The chips from the heavily cropped photos in OP are mine, so I guess my input couldn't hurt this thread.
(@Venturalvn no hard feelings; it was completely obvious to me that taking the pics of my chips as an example for this phenomenon had absolutely nothing to do with your general opinion of my chip sets, even without the explanatory paragraph you put up there.)

I did notice those speed bumps, I've had them in all but the latest two orders which both arrived this year. It does look unsightly, and yes if you closely check out the edge you can definitely see that it is not flat.

For the H mold chips I barely had any, and those only had very, very light speed bumps that you can see but barely feel. And none of them prevented the chips from standing on their edge. I've quickly checked the racks of the main set (3200 chips) and of those, 38 had visible speed bumps. I didn't check the non-denom chips and dedicated replacements I have in the cupboard which are another 460 or so, but this should give a rough impression.

183 chips of 1600 in the tournament set, 191 of 1620 in the cash set. Again without having checked my reserve of emergency replacements and neither the bounty chips (about 280 chips tournament and 140 cash). And here, the bumps are very visible even when you hold up an individual chip's edge. A good number of them also does have trouble standing on the edge.

I didn't contact CPC about it so far. For my very first set, I was new to CPC and assumed that was something normal and purely cosmetic in the process, especially as none of the H mold ones had trouble standing on their edge.
For the later FDL sets... I don't know why I didn't. But I guess now is too late?
Thanks for the detailed and informative post @Nex !

For the later FDL sets... I don't know why I didn't. But I guess now is too late?
Part of the original discovery process of this was trying to figure out it was based on the molds, the batches made during certain time periods, etc. David gave some great insight into the process in this thread and what would have caused this at such a high rate.

Looking at your latest add on it seems like it's largely under control now?

Yes, seems so. My last FDLs likely were finished at a point in time where this thread was already through.
And regarding the H mold add-on from early January, it appears that mold wasn't as susceptible to this by far in the first place.

Yes, seems so. My last FDLs likely were finished at a point in time where this thread was already through.
And regarding the H mold add-on from early January, it appears that mold wasn't as susceptible to this by far in the first place.
I thought this wasn't a mold specific issue but rather an issue with the grinders?

As stated earlier we conducted a few measured tests on the speed bump issue. Yes it would appear that maybe one or two more chips per load exhibit faint discrepancies we would rather not have.
As a result we have 'dressed' the grinding wheels to try and eliminate those. This is a very dangerous process and not one that can be undertaken often.
Hi David, has this resolved the issue?

I thought this wasn't a mold specific issue but rather an issue with the grinders?

It appears to me that it's a combination of both after reading David's explanations.

The grinder may be the thing that ultimately is responsible for the bumps, but I get the impression that the problem only appears when the ground chip stays below a specific diameter or something. That would explain why my speed bump rates of HCE are so low and the ones of FDL so high, despite both having been made in the time frame where there supposedly were issues with the grinder.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom