The Concert Thread (1 Viewer)

inca911

4 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
This is the thread to share concert experiences, stories, and recommendations!

I was watching a Joe Satriani tribute to Les Paul last afternoon on the DVR, and decided to see if he was coming to town anytime soon. I've heard great things, but haven't seen him live. When I check, I see he is in St. Paul at the Fitzgerald Theater that night at 8pm. So I jumped on Craigslist, and found a guy selling an extra ticket at face value: first row floor, two seats stage left of dead center. Chip Karma is clearly in full effect these days. Super concert, and definitely worth seeing. He's turning 60 this year, and hasn't lost a step.

Fitzgerald Theater.JPG

Preshow.JPG

Band.JPG

Satch1.JPG

Satch2.JPG

Satch3.JPG

Satch Close.JPG

Alien.JPG

First Setlist.JPG

Last edited:
Billy McLaughlin performing tonight at our local concert series. Front row seats for an outstanding finger style guitarist.

IMG_6179.JPG

Only concert I've been to in ten years wad last week at red rocks amphitheater.

Miranda Lambert

20170808_100454.jpg
20170808_201338.jpg

Attachments

• downloadfile (1).jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 178
This is the thread to share concert experiences, stories, and recommendations!

I was watching a Joe Satriani tribute to Les Paul last afternoon on the DVR, and decided to see if he was coming to town anytime soon. I've heard great things, but haven't seen him live. When I check, I see he is in St. Paul at the Fitzgerald Theater that night at 8pm. So I jumped on Craigslist, and found a guy selling an extra ticket at face value: first row floor, two seats stage left of dead center. Chip Karma is clearly in full effect these days. Super concert, and definitely worth seeing. He's turning 60 this year, and hasn't lost a step.

Very cool. I saw Satch a couple years ago and it was incredible. He's got former Zappa guitarist Mike Keneally on rhythm and keys, plus his rhythm section was metal as frig. Looks like the same lineup. Good pics.

Mike K was directly in front of me for that Satriani concert. Fun times.

Billy had to change left and right hands to relearn everything due to focal dystonia. Crazy story, and he did an Emmy winning PBS documentary that's worth seeing. Great night to relax by the lake in the park.
IMG_6192.JPG

Last edited:
I've been to many shows and concerts, but most pre-date me taking photos on a phone, or wanting to at all. But the last one I went to was for Billy Joel at MSG, a gift from the wife to scratch off my bucket list. This pic was taken by her from our seats, no zoom needed, behind the stage. We knew it rotated, and the view would be amazing. It really was.

IMG_0273.JPG

I saw Page and Plant when they were doing their No Quarter tour. They had Bonham's son on drums, and played mostly Zeppelin songs. Best show I've ever been too.

Also saw Days of the New, jerry Cantrell, and Metallica in the late 90's. All 3 put out a great show, but Metallica is flipping amazing. Sad I missed them in May when they opened their tour in Baltimore.

@detroitdad what did you think? I know you said you aren't a fan and were going for your wife.

I loved that my wife had a fantastic time. The venue was awesome.

Onto the music as a standalone review.

Opening band: don't know who the were. They sucked balls ( locals loved them). Out was old twangy country that hurt my head.

ML: I didn't hate it. Our was more up beat, little faster than what I expected. It was fine to sit through. At no point did I want to leap of the mountain.

She was a trooper. It rained most of the night. Hard at times. She played through.

After the first song she was drenched and a mess. She stopped, and said " two things are happening. I already look like shit. And I'm already out of breath".

Basically, she put on a great show.

^^^ Tom Petty at the Gorge is one of my top twenty favorite memories in my life so far... Holy fuck balls it was unreal for so many reasons, one of which Petty and the Heartbreakers put on a very good live show. Cool pic.

Metallica is flipping amazing. Sad I missed them in May when they opened their tour in Baltimore.

I've seen them a couple times going back to the 80's. And they have a ton of live shit available (bootlegs and otherwise). I never thought they sounded all that good in concert until this tour. And playing stadiums, the stage show was amazing. They tour for 2 weeks, then take 2 weeks off. I think that makes a difference, IMO.

Glad it was the first concert all my boys got to see, because it was one of the best concerts I've been to strictly from a production standpoint (second only to Iron Maiden on the Caught Somewhere in Time tour, 1988ish).

^^^ Tom Petty at the Gorge is one of my top twenty favorite memories in my life so far... Holy fuck balls it was unreal for so many reasons, one of which Petty and the Heartbreakers put on a very good live show. Cool pic.
The funny thing about seeing Tom Petty live is realizing after the show that he just played for 1.5-2 hours of nothing but huge hits, yet afterward you can still think of a bunch of songs that he didn't play that were also huge hits. Very few artists out there that can do that.

Bruno Mars on Friday. Ms. Jeff and her best friend Betty Rubble organized.

I saw Page and Plant when they were doing their No Quarter tour. They had Bonham's son on drums, and played mostly Zeppelin songs. Best show I've ever been too.

Also saw Days of the New, jerry Cantrell, and Metallica in the late 90's. All 3 put out a great show, but Metallica is flipping amazing. Sad I missed them in May when they opened their tour in Baltimore.
I saw the same show, believe it was 95ish.
Old Cap Center in Landover Md. Love me some Zeppelin, felt really lucky to actually see Page and Plant since I was way to young in their hey day.
Great Show.

Foster the People and Paramore tonight at the Armory in Minneapolis. First show there, and I was not impressed by the lighting and sound. Was fun when Paramore pulled a gal from the audience who rocked it out on stage (middle pic).

45779471-7C8B-4F3F-B6D3-DF7B1B030ED1.jpeg
6F7534EC-78E5-4CC1-9C6A-59C831B77DB9.jpeg
8D6B8EF7-932C-4C30-8DCF-399ABD92C5C4.jpeg

A bit old, but not long ago saw the Orlando Philharmonic perform a live soundtrack to The Empire Strikes Back. It was quite a performance, and mulitple times I had to remind myself that there was a live orchestra playing. They're doing Return of the Jedi soon, and we'll be there!

6lslUQDmF8kGNKh5zsqayVKK803pOm81NR9LigqQIpcCN7YOTLZ8s4pPR_nAWIqyd9CmxNrYhbPsEzPbx3SIBGhQMic28CFdGiWjnENfC_3EAi1caYoBS5G2gZ3aNaMCkUGYm9DAq6tNRHpff6Sxg8SI6XleObaVqcYP9UTJ6g-Dweg5APMBbjiuXTMQp_DvGF20HC8yUDv5hS1_HlmQ7CPgwl8Xkl06sZoN4994-8c8kZe_5Ib0vN7IaptuaTrLgnhv2M4sEMdopwxrklFd-wqwI6XrNPuQkcOKlIxf9mi49cpI9x2XlEjyaVQvPL_L0gBZc7Gmyj8UsEHnYjFCkRCQJr5Wv9WmbPBtShyAEJjuCzmD_uCMFS_vajI4o4DZNHLsgWmYxIPyY0FA4hBfWFCAZWWq5DhktZMfV8dG0nXuoCH3zvQ34D5W_irEiCrZR5g8yfTXBEdzlsx7bCfWHcHCMENkofuxSg4RfnRgAqruJTTjYvoCTkLPhjWFZiDt40CpW15nuqjImYAAgwrJ8PmAs-UeaPIw-ugGmLENa_HfX8SwrGlH5cMQFKRtR53iR071D64HjM4PlmSvTDwRr66zmljTS4Cvb-maQ8iw=w1224-h918-no

I saw the Eagles a couple months ago. RIP Glenn Frey. His son Deacon is playing in the band, and they recruited Vince Gill as well. Awesome show. I think they are doing the least strenuous tour schedule possible. 14 venues in 42 weeks. "Take it easy, take it easy...."

Vince Gill in the Eagles? In a way it makes my brain hurt, but I kind of get it.

Drum Corps International (DCI) event at the University of Minnesota TCF Bank field. Beautiful day for drumming!

4CA9DB0F-62C7-4894-AA76-6BC8B29D20C0.jpeg

8C92314B-EEEA-4471-A6B6-D92C180B6769.jpeg

Last edited:
Saw Sia last year for my wife's birthday. Front row center tickets cost me an arm & a leg, but she absolutely loved it! I had a great time too

IMG_6606.PNG

Vince Gill in the Eagles? In a way it makes my brain hurt, but I kind of get it.

Why? He's a terrific guitarist. Mark Knopfler invited him to join Dire Straits many years ago...

We saw Roger McGuinn last week in Clearwater, FL. He did a great two-hour solo show, with three guitars and a banjo, pretty well narrating his entire career from 1959 with the Chad Mitchell Trio, all the way through the Byrds years and their long-term interaction with Dylan, and many, many others. The Byrds got their first record contract only because of a personal recommendation from Miles Davis, who shared their business manager, and happened to hear them rehearsing one day. It was a small musical world back then...

Last edited:
Judas Priest and Deep Purple are playing in Montreal this August. Playground Poker is a short drive from Montreal. I'm not likely going unless I can find a poker playing metal head near me to share expenses. It's about a 9 hr drive or a $450 round trip flight.

One of the guys from my old home game in DC is in Europe on vacation right now. He's a professional ticket-reseller by trade, and it's paying off this week.

A couple of days ago, he saw Fleet Foxes, Jack White, and Pearl Jam in soccer-mad Belgium.

Tonight, he's seeing Clapton, Santana, and Winwood at Hyde Park in London.

I am way beyond jealous... :mad:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom