SOLD The Chicken Coop (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me bidding on these items and trying to obtain them are for the purpose of having trade bait both for myself and my chipping friends.
Just catching up, and I clicked on this quote before I read other people discussing this topic. But I still want to get my two cents in. And I’m not singling you out, @horseshoes, because it seems like everybody is operating this way.
THIS SUCKS
I was probably late to the party, when I realized, last year, that this was the trend - buy anything desirable you can, if there’s a rack you don’t want and will never use, BUY IT! IT’S CURRENCY. And you can almost rationalize some nobility out of it, can’t you? I’m not flipping! I’m just waiting for the right trade. Poop. I was on that bandwagon for like six months, before I finally said eff that, and sold crap I wouldnt use. And admittedly, that was less of a noble decision on my part and more of an adjustment to my expectations of this hobby - I basically checked out of the rat race, because it’s gotten gross.

I wonder what percentage of people who entered these chicken lotteries did so not because they wanted chicken chips, not because they wanted to relabel them, but purely to amass trade bait. I’d speculate something like 75%+. And this is nothing new, but this chicken event just serves to highlight how desperate everybody in this hobby has become. Blah blah blah, TL;DR, I’m a big whiny bitch. But the whole “trade bait” hoarding that everybody’s doing freaking sucks.

Just catching up, and I clicked on this quote before I read other people discussing this topic. But I still want to get my two cents in. And I’m not singling you out, @horseshoes, because it seems like everybody is operating this way.
THIS SUCKS
I was probably late to the party, when I realized, last year, that this was the trend - buy anything desirable you can, if there’s a rack you don’t want and will never use, BUY IT! IT’S CURRENCY. And you can almost rationalize some nobility out of it, can’t you? I’m not flipping! I’m just waiting for the right trade. Poop. I was on that bandwagon for like six months, before I finally said eff that, and sold crap I wouldnt use. And admittedly, that was less of a noble decision on my part and more of an adjustment to my expectations of this hobby - I basically checked out of the rat race, because it’s gotten gross.

I wonder what percentage of people who entered these chicken lotteries did so not because they wanted chicken chips, not because they wanted to relabel them, but purely to amass trade bait. I’d speculate something like 75%+. And this is nothing new, but this chicken event just serves to highlight how desperate everybody in this hobby has become. Blah blah blah, TL;DR, I’m a big whiny bitch. But the whole “trade bait” hoarding that everybody’s doing freaking sucks.

I don’t disagree with you. Perhaps it’s part of our chipping brain that leads us to justify obtaining something and either using it as a custom/mixed denom in one own set or trading it for something we need/want. We’re not immediately thinking of the ramifications to the market itself, and it could very well have unwanted effects on pricing. It’s a difficult channel to maneuver when you’re trying to get stuff these days because seeing wanted ads with exorbitant prices becomes disheartening. Leads one to believe, “well maybe if I can try to trade for something the other party wants, it would help both sides be happy, not to mention avoid spending way more than one should to obtain those chips.”

As I said above, in our quest to obtain or help others obtain stuff we can at times justify our actions by claiming it doesn’t hurt anybody or the market in general.

As for checking out of the rare race, I’ll be totally honest by saying I’m in that same boat. Had it not been for my recent attempts to help out some friends, not only am I content with my holdings but current state of chipping, trajectory of prices, and all related can lead one to be discouraged. At the end of the day, we can keep chasing these clay discs until we collapse. Our ultimate joy in chipping should be to felt and enjoy what we’ve obtained.

The all-nighter is complete. Under budget, ahead of schedule. Incoming!
B833E7E9-2C13-4908-8E5C-996A027BD5A2.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom