The Card Counter (1 Viewer)

navels

4 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
From the trailer the movie does not look good . . . I do like Oscar Isaac, though. Every time Tye Sheridan pops up in a scene I think it is Andy Sandberg in an SNL digital short.

Trailer:

Crappy chips, relabeled Claysmith Mints:

Screen Shot 2021-07-31 at 4.35.21 PM.png

Relabeled Texas card room chips.
I don't think so...at least not the Texas Cardroom in S. Austin off Menchaca Rd. Unless they changed chips from the last time I played there....they were ceramic if I recall.

Early reviews looking good. Did not realize this was a Paul Schrader flick.

it looks good to me! Also, joe stapleton talks about being the poker consultant on this film on the last poker stories podcast, and how oscar Isaac got addicted to 2-4 limit holdem.

Curious to see this… also curious why a movie that appears to have elements of poker in it is called the card counter…I don’t recall seeing blackjack in the trailer.

Curious to see this… also curious why a movie that appears to have elements of poker in it is called the card counter…I don’t recall seeing blackjack in the trailer.
I noticed blackjack several times

What did ya'll think. Interesting to me of the breakdown on Rotten Tomatoes at least.

1631385199288.png

Well, the movie is not about poker, nor is it about blackjack. Hell, it's not even about card counting! These things are minor background details which serves the purpose of explaining how he makes money. Yes, there are a few poker hands, but they aren't fully shown from start to finish. The scenes are merely there to explain how money was generated when it was needed by the main character.

Its a psychological thriller. It's mostly well done. Some superfluous dialogue and some slow parts, but I think that is intentional to get you thinking about what is going to happen next. If you like these kind of movies, then its probably a good one. If you were looking for an incredible ending, there isn't one.

As far as the chips, there were the Claysmith relabels, which I'm fine with. They were not dice chips, so that tells me they made some effort on their props. There was also some WSOP scenes and those chips were briefly in the scenes (in the background of course).

If you were looking for a poker movie, this is not it. It is about a unique individual. I believe I read where someone said there will never be a Rounders 2 because studios won't make a movie about some obscure individual. Well, if they can make this movie, they can make a Rounders 2.

6.8 on imdb atm, might be worth a watch.
But yeah It's not a card game movie..

I really did not like this movie and I'm a fan of the slow burn. This was the slow...drip. Many head-scratching plot points and dull, stilted dialogue. And the poker/blackjack lingo, which was sprinkled regularly throughout so hard to ignore, was off enough to be super awkward

I really did not like this movie and I'm a fan of the slow burn. This was the slow...drip. Many head-scratching plot points and dull, stilted dialogue. And the poker/blackjack lingo, which was sprinkled regularly throughout so hard to ignore, was off enough to be super awkward
Thanks for the feedback Lee , was thinking of watching it

Unfortunately it’s just a bad movie. Borderline unwatchable. It’s not even that the poker stuff isn’t interesting which it isn’t. Too many weak plot lines that don’t ever work together. A shame considering how many very good actors are in it.

Was this the one where the guy had been in jail, and he'd been in the army?
If so, I gave up on it. And that doesn't happen often.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom