The best fold of your life (1 Viewer)

chipdave

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Mine I think is this one, it happened 4-5 years ago, I got pocket KK and I was in cutoff position, my intention was to bet preflop but one of the players already did so I only called.
The flop was middle low, no pairs, no flush nor straight attemtps ... at this point the guy bet three/four times the pot then I folded. In the end he had pocket AA, I remember clearly that was not the amount of the pot but the way he raised that convinced me to leave... the funny thing is that if I had decided to continue until the end at the river there was a winning K for me but honestly I don't care :D

What's yours? :)

Happened two weeks ago in a home cash game.

UTG with 10 9 suited. Table was playing loose as usual. I raised 2.25X. Two MP calls and SB called.

Flop comes 9 4 3 rainbow. SB checks and I bet 2/3 of the pot. Both MP folded and SB called.

Turn comes 9. SB checks and I bet 1/2 pot. SB shoves over the top and they have me covered.

This player pretty much plays any two cards but she does know how to play. After thinking I folded.

She shows 9 4 off for a boat.

I folded the small blind with “junk” cards in a multi-way limped pot. I did that dozens of times every month. Huge increase in my win rate.

really! -=- DrStrange

I agree, not limpin in under the gun is a must, from the little blind is a wise choice

The most memorable folds are probably bad folds in most cases, even if results were good.

That sounds like a poorly played hand and losing strategy long term, just saying.

Fairly memorable in a deep $1/3 game. I had 9Tdd, called $20 MP open in c/o ( $1200eff at $1/3/6) preflop, flop comes KQJhhx x, x, PFR checks I lead $50 into $80, bb makes it $150, I bump it to $400 and fold to a shove for ~$1200 total, she shows ATo

Maybe not the best tank-for-5-minutes-then-muck-top-full-house-correctly folds you'll ever hear about but this one is probably the most fortuitous. It was a long time ago but I remember the details vividly.

This was in one of the Party Poker Supers that used to run daily in the early 00's. I used to play in them all the time.

This was early in the tournament - I had an average stack at a full table and and dealt 22 UTG. I make a standard open, only to get 3-bet by UTG+1.

Five people call the 3-bet and the action gets back to me.

I figure I can't be the only one set-mining, and even if I flop a set I might get it in bad. So I folded.

The flop comes 2-2-Q.

(I've never gotten turtledick so fast in my entire life.)

Two players wind up all in on the flop (neither one of them was UTG+1 IIRC). One player turns over QQ, the other AA.

Turn was an Ace.

River was a Queen.

Mine I think is this one, it happened 4-5 years ago, I got pocket KK and I was in cutoff position, my intention was to bet preflop but one of the players already did so I only called.
The flop was middle low, no pairs, no flush nor straight attemtps ... at this point the guy bet three/four times the pot then I folded. In the end he had pocket AA, I remember clearly that was not the amount of the pot but the way he raised that convinced me to leave... the funny thing is that if I had decided to continue until the end at the river there was a winning K for me but honestly I don't care :D

What's yours? :)
What's up with the flat with KK in position?

Last night, although a terrible overall session of which this hand typifies.

PLO8 - I've got a strong low hand with A23

1/1 game that plays waaaaaay bigger than that.

Nut low comes for me on the turn, A on the river but still nut low, and no high worth a darn - 5 players remain, and I'm the button. Pot bet from UTG, 3 callers behind, I stare and think and fold proclaiming everyone's going to think I'm a crazy nit. Just a bad feeling I'm getting 1/6thed with how the hand played. UTG turns over nut high, next three guys turn over 23 for nut low. I woulda gotten 1/8thed!

Mine was several years ago at a WSOP Circuit event in San Diego. We were playing limit Omaha hi lo. I was in the big blind and looked down at KKxx. There were a couple of limpers and a late position raise. I called and we see a flop 5 ways. The flop comes out K55. I decided to slow play it, so I just checked, and everyone else checks behind. Turn comes K559, I check again, everyone else checks as well. River is an offsuit J, so the board is now K559J with no flushes possible. At this point I figured nobody has anything or they would have bet by now, so I might as well fire and hope to get called by something weak or cross my fingers and pray that someone has JJ or QT. So I bet. Next player folds, then to my surprise, I get raised by OMC! I thought to myself, "poor guy rivered JJ! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:". Everyone else folds and it comes back to me, so I 3bet him. Then, it happened. OMC 4bet me! I knew it immediately. Didn't even have to think about it. I just shook my head in disbelief and said "nice hand, nice flop!" as I threw my KK face up on the table. Everyone gasped, including the dealer. Someone says, "he reraised. You didn't call yet!" thinking I was obviously not folding. It's limit poker afterall, and it's just one more bet. I said, "I know. I'm not calling. That's a fold. He has quads." Absolute chaos ensues. One player suggests that we might know each other and that I'm chip dumping to him lol. A couple people ask him if he had quads, seemingly in disbelief. Everyone thought I folded the winner. I offer to take side bets, but get no takers. Someone convinces him to show it, so he does. He rolls over 55 for flopped quads. The dealer says, "Holy shit! How did you know that?! How did you fold that?! That's the best fold I've ever seen!" The table goes nuts. People start walking over from other tables to see what's going on lol. Pretty funny. Later in the tourney, we get down to the final table and someone brings up the hand who wasn't even there. He said," did you guys hear about that hand earlier where someone folded KK for the nut full house?" A couple people chimed in, "bullshit, no one folds hands like that in limit poker." I said, "Ya, that was me. He had quads, and I like my chips so I folded :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: " That was the only circuit event I ever won. Good times.

Last edited:
Best fold of my life actually turned out to be the worst. Playing 1/2 at a home game. I was 3rd big stack at the time.

~1400 effective

-Some limps, villain(Button) raises to $20
-I raise to $60 (SB) with QQ
-Folds around to villain, he goes $200 straight.
-After about 2 minutes of table talk back and forth, I fold. He asks if I want to see the cards ran out, I say sure. Turn and river were my other 2 queens for quads. He shows AA

Oh well! It was a fun hand nonetheless

The one I will always remember is folding middle set in a live 2/5 PLO game...mainly because I would of won a $5k pot if I made the wrong move. Had KQTTds(I'm about $1500 deep) in a 4-5 way raised pot. Flop is ATx and someone bet into me on the flop and I raised and had 2 flat calls and then the pre-flop raiser went over the top...didn't feel right and I didn't have either of my flush draws so I mucked it...ended up getting 3 calls. Turn was a T...:banghead: Someone had AA and other guy had the bottom set and one other guy had a wrap with flush draw. Ended up being around a 5k pot.

Maybe not my best fold, but one I'll always remember.

One time...I folded AA pre, villain made trips
Profit

Last edited:
I don't recall positions but in a nutshell:
Hero holds JJ.
Flop is AJ5
Villain shoves all-in and has hero's $600 covered.
Hero folds.
Villain tables AA.
More to the story and obviously it's an instant call 99.9999 if not 100% of the time but hero had very specific read/tell on villain.

And no, hero doesn't pretend to be a good poker player.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom