The Armory cash set mock-ups (1 Viewer)

Psypher1000

Straight Flush
Reaction score
I pretty well like what I see here, and mock-ups were made with color samples in hand. The only denom I might be open to feedback on is the fiver and maaaybe the base color of the quarter.

Denoms are nickle, quarter, dollar, five.

Nickle - Inspired by the Suns, because my wife loves them, and I love my wife, and she tolerates my pokering and chipping.
Quarter - Similar to the California Bell $1
Dollar - Inspired by Mapes and Casablanca $1
Five - WTH&C

Armory Cash Set v1.png

looking good - like the simple progression.

maybe a bit too much of the blue/purple color family, but i think my tendency is too rigid in trying to avoid that sort of thing, so i don't know that i would trust my kneejerk response.

Looks great to me - simple yet awesome. The only thing I might do is play with the spot colors a bit on the $5 so as not to match previous chips (or at least not BOTH of them.)

Looks great to me - simple yet awesome. The only thing I might do is play with the spot colors a bit on the $5 so as not to match previous chips (or at least not BOTH of them.)

There will be a *slight* difference between the orange spot on the 5 and the orange used for the nickle. The nickle will use tiger; the five will use peach. Other than that, though, I'm having trouble finding a different spot color combo on the 5 that I like better - but I'm open to suggestions.

Nickle - Inspired by the Suns, because my wife loves them, and I love my wife, and she tolerates my pokering and chipping.

My first semi custom set was a sunset theme based on our 20th anniversary vacation to Mexico. She hates all things poker. She liked these.

maybe a bit too much of the blue/purple color family...

This would generally be my first comment to anyone else who posted the mock-ups that I did...and yet, I like what I see. Maybe I just like me. The two aren't mutually exclusive, I suppose. In any case, I'm set on a purplish strip on the nickle and a blue/purplish stripe on the 1. I'm also set on a blue hue for the base color of the quarter, which leaves the spots on the quarter. I've played around with making those light grey or white. I could potentially be swayed either way.

My first semi custom set was a sunset theme based on our 20th anniversary vacation to Mexico. She hates all things poker. She liked these.

My wife's into old movies. Consequently we now have a Casablanca tournament set.

Here are my humble offerings, including a new top-end $20 chip and two $1 choices. Totally fixes the too-blue concerns, imo -- the 25c and $5 chips are unchanged. Tiger/gray nickel will be a great combination:

psy-cash.png

115_1phoenix_suns.jpg

mBHMMPCbOp4boXZPqszbUtw.jpg
$_35.JPG
76385.jpg

It's funny that you posted those, Dave, because I literally played with every single one of those combinations - even the proposed $20. That 814 pattern is likely to happen, but probably as an add-on later. Not sure that I will use the colors as proposed

The Suns chip has to have purple stripes. Those were the teams that my wife grew up loving; the orange/grey Suns are just meh.

As for the $1, this set actually started with the Mapes $1 and I could be persuaded to go back to it. As much as I like the Casa 1 on its own or in the Casa set, I don't like the spot colors in this set (which is why I tweaked it to a darker tone).

My ONLY concern with going with the Mapes $1 in this set is does it make it look to circusy?

A cpc-produced Mapes scroll chip doesn't look out of place at all in this set (to me, at least).

Given that this is a micro-stakes set, make sure you really love the workhorse chips (typically 25c and/or $1, depending on your player group). No doubt you'll love a Mapes-inspired $1 chip, but give special consideration to your quarters, too.

A few slight tweaks...

- Ditched the shaped inlays. The Armory is more about simplicity, and the shaped inlays run a little counter to that. Plus, they limit my real estate for art.
- I see some Mapes $1 chips with the blue/black spots next to each other, and some with those spots across from each other. I went for the across look.
- Considering a couple different options for the $20 chip. I like the idea of somewhat more contrasting spots for it, but I'm not sold on any particular color combo yet.

Armory Cash Set v3.png

So I'm pretty close to final on these. Top row is locked. I'm open to the possibility of different bottom row chips, but I do like what I have there currently and wouldn't hesitate to ship it if I had the cash & art ready. Likely breakdown is as follows

200x Orange - 5c
300x Blue - 25c
300x Yellow - 1.00
300x Red - 5.00
80x Grey - 20.00
20x Black - NCV (to be used as $100 when necessary, or whatever other needs arise)

1200 total chips, plus a handful of extras for each denom.

The mrs. wanted to go w/dayglo peach and blurple for her Suns chip, so we are.

Armory Cash Set v4.png

If they were the all the same shape, maybe that would work too. Either way I am liking these a lot. Dibs on a sample set. :D

"CLAIMED!"

Thanks! I actually hadn't thought about using the same shapped inlay across the set. Maybe I'll play around with that someday and see about doing something like that for a future set.

Also, included a 7th chip to be revealed at a later date. For now, I'll just say it breaks the pattern of the set.

The 1 and 20 are the nutz in this set.

1200 chips :)

I lost count of many color combos I starred at for the $20 - both before and after the one I selected! It's more than the face value of the chip, tho!

The breakdown will fit nicely into two 600 chip cages - one for my traditional microstakes game, and one for a mid-stakes game that some folks at work play. The upper denoms will definitely see less play, though, so there was no need to try and store them all in the same container as the rest.

In those rare occasions where we would play something like .25/.25 or .50/$1...well, one cage for each hand, I guess!

I'm down for a sample too. Might be the closest I get to a Mapes single.

Are you going to do samples like the last set?

Good question. TBD. I only have ~20 total sample sets to work with just like last time, and of those a certain number will be reserved for people who have done me solids, for giveaways, and for other events which leaves somewhere around 15 available for general consumption. I limit the samples not to create artificial demand, but to put a limit on time and materials spent on shipping (I despise spending time shipping things, but sample sets are a tradition I want to honor and participate in).

With The Armory tourney set the demand exceeded supply so I tried to distribute them in as equitable a way as possible. I'm not sure the demand will be there with this set, although it will be interesting to see what happens once I get the inlay art and release the 7th chip.

I only have ~20 total sample sets to work with just like last time, and of those a certain number will be reserved for people who have done me solids, for giveaways, and for other events

In for a sample set regardless of 7th chip art, and please direct me to your solids wish-list. :)

Very interested to see where this set goes.

Okay, we're far enough along to where I can post a full chip and get a little feedback. At the moment I'm primarily seeking feedback on the font for The Armory. Both are similar, but there are subtle differences.

I'm also seeking feedback on which background is preferred. As the rest of the set develops I may need to alter the background but I'd at least like to get your thoughts on the two that are primarily being considered at the moment.

1 2
3 4

sg1e.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom