THC solid tourney set (1 Viewer)

Frank

Straight
Reaction score
I am looking for advice. I went a little buy happy with THC solids. I only need a few more chips to make a 50 player set. The likelihood I have a game over 1 table is very low right now, but I've always thought dealing was kind of fun and I'm wondering if there's any point in keeping the set on the off chance I could get into organizing tournaments for people or something. (Did I mention I have a 3 table T-mold blank set too? :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:)

I wasn't sure about the colors I wanted to use, but having the chips in front of me has helped me come to a decision. There may have been other influences too :)

Solid lineup.png

Here's the breakdown I am looking at (chips I need in brackets):

400 (130) x T25
400 (260) x T100
200 x T500
421 x T1,000
251 x T5,000
120 x T25,000
20 x T100,000

It kind of just worked out like this. My idea is 50 T10k-30k starting stacks:

8 x T25
8 x T100
4 x T500
7 x T1,000
0-4 x T5,000

If I went through with the big set, I'm thinking of doing some labels that someone else would also be interested in if I no longer wanted the chips.

The other thing is, a few chips are a bit thicker than the rest, some have inlays, and a few have flea bites. If I downsized to a 1-table set or so I could have consistent heights, keep hot-stamps only (maybe not the day greens), and get @Gear to mill a different shaped inlay for each denom (provided he can do enough different ones!)

I also have 197 hot pink chips that I can only really see being used as T5s since I'd prefer not to have them on the table at the same time as the blaze orange. I much prefer the lowest denom to be T25 though. Mayyyybe I could use T5s in a single table tourney but I'm not seeing the appeal. Can anyone think of a good use for them? Right now I'm pretty exclusive to Hold'em.

IMG_20170217_204645301[1]-min.jpg

Thoughts? :)

Attachments

• IMG_20170303_135519457.jpg
    IMG_20170303_135519457.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_20170303_141712105[1].jpg
    IMG_20170303_141712105[1].jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
I think, the first step, is to figure out if you are serious about possibly hosting tournaments. If you are, then you know what you need to do. If not, then put those bad boys on the open market and let us degenerates fight over them.

I think, the first step, is to figure out if you are serious about possibly hosting tournaments. If you are, then you know what you need to do. If not, then put those bad boys on the open market and let us degenerates fight over them.

I will almost certainly keep a 1-2 table set at the very least. There's always CPC later if needed right? :)

Maybe something like this:

160 x T25
160 x T100
80 x T500
140 x T1,000
60 x T5,000

I don't know how appealing the leftovers would be, but if by fight you meant an auction that sounds like the best way to get rid them all at once. When they get reinstated, I will definitely consider it!

I will almost certainly keep a 1-2 table set at the very least. There's always CPC later if needed right? :)

Maybe something like this:

160 x T25
160 x T100
80 x T500
140 x T1,000
60 x T5,000

I don't know how appealing the leftovers would be, but if by fight you meant an auction that sounds like the best way to get rid them all at once. When they get reinstated, I will definitely consider it!
That, or you could donate them to a giveaway. Just an idea.

That, or you could donate them to a giveaway. Just an idea.

Sounds like a good idea but I don't know if I can afford to do that! About a dollar per chip which is more like $1.30+ Cad!

Some were significantly cheaper but not that many!

Sounds like a good idea but I don't know if I can afford to do that! About a dollar per chip which is more like $1.30+ Cad!

Some were significantly cheaper but not that many!
In that case, just put them up for bid and let us fight!

It looks like the Green rack in the middle is Sherbet Green and not Day Green, Frank... Is that right? You could use the Dark Green (or Munzel) racks for consistency, although you'd still need more than a rack to get to 400...

The set looks really promising man...

It looks like the Green rack in the middle is Sherbet Green and not Day Green, Frank... Is that right? You could use the Dark Green (or Munzel) racks for consistency, although you'd still need more than a rack to get to 400...

The set looks really promising man...

I'm not sure if it is sherbet green. I'll check my color samples again but I think I have 3 different versions of day green (the 70 on the right are a bit darker too). But this isn't bcc, what gives?

I much prefer day green. If I decide to keep the whole set I'll see if I can do a 1:1 trade with my dark green and probably get rid of the lighter rack. Do you think day green solids are pretty uncommon in decent shape?

Thanks for the suggestion, I may keep the whole set yet!

Pics added to OP. Even some of the same chips look a little different in a barrel!

Last edited:
I'm not sure if it is sherbet green. I'll check my color samples again but I think I have 3 different versions of day green (the 70 on the right are a bit darker too). But this isn't bcc, what gives?

I much prefer day green. If I decide to keep the whole set I'll see if I can do a 1:1 trade with my dark green and probably get rid of the lighter rack. Do you think day green solids are pretty uncommon in decent shape?

Thanks for the suggestion, I may keep the whole set yet!

Pics added to OP. Even some of the same chips look a little different in a barrel!

I don't blame you for preferring Day Green... It's one of the nicest greens around imo... Not sure how many of those you'll find in good shape but they are definitely out there...

Based on your pictures Frank, the lighter green chips look Sherbet Green and the 70 darker chips Day Green... Not sure about the Cloverleaf ones... The other green Starbursts are Dark Green for sure...

All choices are good although having a lighter shade of green by the Charcoal chips might be preferable...

Do you have a label yet?

Btw, not a bad idea having the Hot Pinks as T5 in case you wanna spread T5 tourneys... That's what I would probably do...

Below are examples of solid greens. From left to right, Forrest Green, Dark Green, Day Green and Sherbet Green. the racks of Forrest Green and Day Green (milled already) are pretty much mint but very, very old so there's some residue to clean up. The colors resemble the current GPI shades but are not a perfect match. Once cleaned, they would probably get a little closer. Years and years and years of clay mixing causes shades variation for sure. The rack of Day Green (milled already) is used but in good shape. Some chips definitely need more cleaning than others. They match the current Day Green pretty well. The rack of Sherbet Green is mint and recent so it's a perfect match to GPI current shade.

* Btw, I had forgotten I had a rack of Day Green, LOL!!!

Greens1.jpg
Greens2.jpg

A part of "what you need" depends on your blind structure, and how your players play. If you have a 75/150 level or players that like to limp, you are going to spend more time making change than is even remotely fun with just 8x T25s.

As for the T100,000, you aren't going to need it. If you have 20 players with T30,000 starting stacks, you will have just T600,000 on the table - only 24 T25,000 chips.

I would suggest continuing to collect until you can make 3 different blind structures with 3 different starting stacks to pitch a "low stakes", "mid stakes" and a "high stakes" game with the same core chips.

With the low stakes game, there would be no issue with Pink T5s and Blaze Orange T5000 hitting the table at the same time. The T5000 might not even make the table in a low stakes game.

That Forrest Green and Dark Green are pretty sexy chips.....damn.......bet the shuffle like butter :)

Thanks for the input gents :)

Based on your pictures Frank, the lighter green chips look Sherbet Green and the 70 darker chips Day Green... Not sure about the Cloverleaf ones...

The cloverleaf chips are the ones that vary in color within themselves a little bit. I have not cleaned any chips before, but if I had to, I would rather have a mixed stack of day/sherbert green over dark green. I am more picky about having consistent barrel heights. The sherbert green are in better shape than the rest, and while there is variance with others, I think I can live with it.

Do you have a label yet?

I haven't really thought of any text yet. Anyone feel free to post any suggestions. :) The RVCL chips with a shape within a shape look pretty cool. Funding for such a large milling project is not currently available and unless I trade some day green/canary yellow chips, I will be limited to a circle inlay on those guys. A T25 circle should be fine though.

A part of "what you need" depends on your blind structure, and how your players play. If you have a 75/150 level or players that like to limp, you are going to spend more time making change than is even remotely fun with just 8x T25s.

I did think of that. If I could get 150 more day green chips I could have 420 x T25 and I have the possibilty of getting a total of 430 x T100. 35 players with 12 x T25 and 12 x T100, and one more stack should work out ok.

As for the T100,000, you aren't going to need it. If you have 20 players with T30,000 starting stacks, you will have just T600,000 on the table - only 24 T25,000 chips.

Yeah, I'll probably use those for something else. Even if I somehow got up to T3,000,000 in play, I have just enough T25,000 to cover it.

I would suggest continuing to collect until you can make 3 different blind structures with 3 different starting stacks to pitch a "low stakes", "mid stakes" and a "high stakes" game with the same core chips.

Are you suggesting completely different starting stacks, or just to vary the amount of the larger denoms in them? Different level lengths and starting level perhaps? Maybe something like this?

low stakes = 100-200BB/15 min levels
medium stakes = 200-300BB/ 20 min levels
high stakes = 300BB+/30 min levels

With the low stakes game, there would be no issue with Pink T5s and Blaze Orange T5000 hitting the table at the same time. The T5000 might not even make the table in a low stakes game.

I was seeing if I could save myself some money by ditching the T5s. If I had 3 more of them I could have a good single table setup. I might have another chip set for such a tournament :), but if it were a re-buy frenzy game, this one might work out better.

Last edited:
Ok, so I pathetically tried to downsize to a one table set for about 5 seconds :). I do believe I will keep it at a 1000 chip 2 table set however. I just don't have any plans whatsoever of hosting anything that big anytime soon. CPC still exists too, so here's my breakdown:

240 x T25
240 x T100
100 x T500
220 x T1,000
160 x T5,000
40 x T25,000
-------------
1000 chips

Beautiful 12, 12, 5, 11 T15k starting stacks a la @ChaosRock and plenty more to do T30k + rebuys. (if rebuys are even a thing with such deep stacks, I do not know!)

Here's where I need to make a decision regarding labels:

I have 220 canary yellow chips that are nice enough to use and they stack much nicer with the rest of the chips. The only thing is, I was looking at getting shaped inlays and some of them already have circular inlays which Gear said he would not be able to mill a different shape with.

My other option is to mix the 140 hot-stamped canary yellows with hot-stamped yellows. This would allow me to have more than 220 T1ks in my set if that helps, and the option of all shaped inlays after the T25 chip. The only problem is the yellow chips appear to be warped and stack higher than the rest (but I think I can live with the mix in color and height in my green T25s)

My guess would be that having shaped inlays on all but the T25 chip would be ok with me, but having them on all but the T25 AND T1,000, not so much. I don't have many ideas on labels, but I was considering imitating the Royal Venture Cruise Line chips with their faux shaped inlays within real shaped inlays, or whatever they are :)

If I color up the T25s with only T5ks, looks like I'd have to remove 4 x T1ks from play. Would you reintroduce them when coloring up the T100s?

I could also replace one barrel of T5ks or T25ks with a barrel of T500s, in case I wanted to have the option of 8, 8, 4, 7 T10k+ stacks for 30 players. Never played with that breakdown, but it sure seems like not enough chips to me! (now that it's been brought to my attention by @Poker Zombie )

Other options would be to replace barrels of T5ks or T25ks with bounty/re-buy/all-in chips or whatever else there is. But maybe those should be different chips altogether.

Thanks everyone for your advice so far (y) :thumbsup:

And yes, I do realize I am missing some chips in my pics :)

Attachments

• IMG_20170309_212724061[1].jpg
    IMG_20170309_212724061[1].jpg
    93 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_20170309_212733351[1].jpg
    IMG_20170309_212733351[1].jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_20170309_212742839[1].jpg
    IMG_20170309_212742839[1].jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_20170309_212259880[1].jpg
    IMG_20170309_212259880[1].jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_20170309_212316994[1].jpg
    IMG_20170309_212316994[1].jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_20170309_212353429[1].jpg
    IMG_20170309_212353429[1].jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_20170309_212416488[1].jpg
    IMG_20170309_212416488[1].jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 162
The only problem is the yellow chips appear to be warped and stack higher than the rest (but I think I can live with the mix in color and height in my green T25s)

Have you tried flattening them yet? I had similar problems some barrels of solid starburst chips with my mixed set, the process is a little tedious but fairly simple and *mostly* corrected the problem.

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/flattening-warped-chips.3903/

If I color up the T25s with only T5ks, looks like I'd have to remove 4 x T1ks from play. Would you reintroduce them when coloring up the T100s?

Depending on the number of players, you'll probably have to reintroduce a few to keep the chip count the same (unless you round up instead of race). i.e., for exactly 20 players, you'd need to reintroduce two T1k during the T100 color-up to keep the total chips in play the same.

love the colors. That is going to be a/some nice set/s. I would be happy to buy any extra of the blaze orange Happy Knights :rolleyes:

Have you tried flattening them yet? I had similar problems some barrels of solid starburst chips with my mixed set, the process is a little tedious but fairly simple and *mostly* corrected the problem.

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/flattening-warped-chips.3903/

Thanks for the response. I just realized that I might get away with a faux-shaped label on the T1ks. Might as well do the same with the T25s now too! I hope they'll look good together with real shaped ones.

Also if the 220 canary yellows T1ks are enough, they are already flat and all the same color.

Depending on the number of players, you'll probably have to reintroduce a few to keep the chip count the same (unless you round up instead of race). i.e., for exactly 20 players, you'd need to reintroduce two T1k during the T100 color-up to keep the total chips in play the same.

For a single table tourney I would race, but I saw a post by @BGinGA mentioning that trying to race with multiple tables and moving players wouldn't work anyways. Makes a lot of sense, but maybe 2 tables where the tournament is small enough it could still work. If I want to be able to round up I have to make sure I have enough spare chips!

20 players = T6,000 in T25 chips. I was going to color up with 2 T5ks, remove 4 T1ks. Come time to color up the T100s, there are T24,000 of them, so 4 T5ks and the other 4 T1ks I had previously removed.

Let's say 18 players, so T5,400 in T25s. I can either color up with 5 or 6 T1ks, and either add T400 worth of chips or remove T600 of them. This is where I am seeking the best possible solution, but I think either one would work out okay.

love the colors. That is going to be a/some nice set/s. I would be happy to buy any extra of the blaze orange Happy Knights :rolleyes:

Thanks! I love the colors too.

That could be possible, but it may take me quite a while to decide. I'll probably be looking to sell some chips in a group at first, but maybe not the blaze orange.

Also, I've been cherry picking them, so what is left will definitely have some flea bites.

I saw a post by @BGinGA mentioning that trying to race with multiple tables and moving players wouldn't work anyways. Makes a lot of sense, but maybe 2 tables where the tournament is small enough it could still work.

I've frequently raced 3 table tournaments, and never had an issue. The Colossus / WSOP event has hundreds of tables and they race. Moving players does not affect anything. As long as you have enough of each denom to keep the game playable, nobody will care - or even notice - if you remove a few of any particular denom at one color-up and bring them back during another color up, there is no effect on the game, provided the chips are not undersized. The goal of the color-up is to get the undersized chips off the table. Nobody cares what the quantities of each chip are - they may care about the total value of all the chips in play.

Some will say you should never color-up to the next denom size. As long as I have the chips available (and you will at all but the fullest of games), I will continue to color up 16x T25s to 4x T100s, and 20x T25s to a single T500. This takes some skill to make sure you don't run out of T100s at the first table before coloring up the next table or 2, but it's just experience that you will develop over time.

I've frequently raced 3 table tournaments, and never had an issue. The Colossus / WSOP event has hundreds of tables and they race. Moving players does not affect anything.

So when one table has 3 T25s left and the other has 1 after coloring up the rest of them, you just race them off even though they're on different tables? Seems pretty crazy for bigger events, but they would have paid helpers.

I do prefer the race off method if it will be simple enough.

The odd chips are rounded off for chip races.

Examples:
  • In your example, if after coloring up all the other chips one table has 3x T25s and the next table has 1x T25, the table with 3 will race for one T100, and the other table will get nothing.
  • More times than not, 4-6 players will have an odd number of chips to be raced off. This usually means 2-3 T100s being raced for at each table. Even though it appears that the table with a remainder of 1 chip is getting hosed, the player with the extra chip is getting an extra shot at the color-up.
  • If both tables have 2x T25s, 2x T100s will be brought into play - one chip at each table.
  • If a player is involved in a chip race, and loses their last chip(s) they are not eliminated. They get one chip of the lowest denomination. Mind you, this does not mean they automatically win the chip race. It just means that if they lose, there will be T100 more in the game than there was at the start.
  • In bigger multi-table tournaments, it helps if one player "buys" all the chips that are about to be colored up in. In 2 table events, it doesn't speed things up too much, but in 5 table events it helps quite a bit.

Well, chip purchases don't ever seem to end, so it's getting less likely I'll be keeping all of these. I'm thinking I better keep a single table set at least. Customizing these would probably take a long time as well...

I'm thinking of putting some of these in play for tourneys as is just to say I did. I know 50c and $1 chips are inefficient together for such a use but the colors would be nice, and it shouldn't be too bad for a 4-6 player game. Here's what I'm thinking for a one time use before milling/selling:

Starting stacks: 200

50c x 10 Canary yellow
$1 x 10 Charcoal (not pictured)
$5 x 12 Blaze orange
$25 x 5 Day Green

I could also thrown in a non-denom or two. Maybe Blurple as $100s or something else as a quarter. Anywho, if someone's interested in any of these chips feel free to PM (but not all colors are available). There's a reason this isn't in the classifieds though, it's such a battle with myself when it comes time to sell almost any chips!

I am looking for advice. I went a little buy happy with THC solids. I only need a few more chips to make a 50 player set. The likelihood I have a game over 1 table is very low right now, but I've always thought dealing was kind of fun and I'm wondering if there's any point in keeping the set on the off chance I could get into organizing tournaments for people or something. (Did I mention I have a 3 table T-mold blank set too? :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:)

I wasn't sure about the colors I wanted to use, but having the chips in front of me has helped me come to a decision. There may have been other influences too :)

View attachment 85269

Here's the breakdown I am looking at (chips I need in brackets):

400 (130) x T25
400 (260) x T100
200 x T500
421 x T1,000
251 x T5,000
120 x T25,000
20 x T100,000

It kind of just worked out like this. My idea is 50 T10k-30k starting stacks:

8 x T25
8 x T100
4 x T500
7 x T1,000
0-4 x T5,000

If I went through with the big set, I'm thinking of doing some labels that someone else would also be interested in if I no longer wanted the chips.

The other thing is, a few chips are a bit thicker than the rest, some have inlays, and a few have flea bites. If I downsized to a 1-table set or so I could have consistent heights, keep hot-stamps only (maybe not the day greens), and get @Gear to mill a different shaped inlay for each denom (provided he can do enough different ones!)

I also have 197 hot pink chips that I can only really see being used as T5s since I'd prefer not to have them on the table at the same time as the blaze orange. I much prefer the lowest denom to be T25 though. Mayyyybe I could use T5s in a single table tourney but I'm not seeing the appeal. Can anyone think of a good use for them? Right now I'm pretty exclusive to Hold'em.

View attachment 85270

Thoughts? :)
Are your 25 $ Chips in Green hotstamped SCC Chips or are they others?:) i really searching them...:(

Are your 25 $ Chips in Green hotstamped SCC Chips or are they others?:) i really searching them...:(

Yes those are SCC and $25 hotstamps. However those are not for sale right now unless you have day green replacement chips for me. Any other offers I accept for those would be stupidly unfair and I'd still probably hesitate...:confused:. The more sherbert green-like rack may be available though.

The other chips that would be easiest to get from me are probably the hot pink horseheads, yellow roulettes (inlaid or hotstamped), yellow $1 stamps, a rack of day blue, some dark green starbursts, Plum $5 stamps and maybe some (I think they're a dirty blurple) roulettes.

Yes those are SCC and $25 hotstamps. However those are not for sale right now unless you have day green replacement chips for me. Any other offers I accept for those would be stupidly unfair and I'd still probably hesitate...:confused:. The more sherbert green-like rack may be available though.

The other chips that would be easiest to get from me are probably the hot pink horseheads, yellow roulettes (inlaid or hotstamped), yellow $1 stamps, a rack of day blue, some dark green starbursts, Plum $5 stamps and maybe some (I think they're a dirty blurple) roulettes.
I have these...69 pieces in mint condition...
Do you have Photos from the SCC?o_O:rolleyes:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170130-133336.jpg
    Screenshot_20170130-133336.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 102

I want to fill up my SCC hotstamped Cashset and this is really hard to find...:sick:
I have 200 of the 1 $ Blue' s at this Time, in the picture are only One Rack...

Attachments

• 20170421_182126.jpg
    20170421_182126.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 139
  • 20170421_181530.jpg
    20170421_181530.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 97
Please PM in the future. This isn't supposed to be a for sale ad and I don't really want to derail this thread in case of further posts. I simply did not know where to post since nothing was officially for sale.

I'm not trying to make a profit overall, just a poker chip enthusiast reluctant to sell any of his beauties most of the time. Any very specific interest will likely require a small markup to make up for separate shipping/leftover chips I don't sell that maybe could have been sold in a set. I love this community so if I do sell any chips at a profit, I would happily sell others for less than I paid (or even a giveaway, it all depends :))

Let's get back on topic.

I'll call @BGinGA on this one :)

So does going with T300K deep stacks, using T500 / T1000 / T5000 / T25000 (10/10/7/10). No color issues, either. :sneaky:

I believe you only suggested this because of color issues in the CPS chips? I did consider using my solids here starting at T500 even though the 2x jump is immediate. Does the amount of chips you suggested in the starting stacks have anything to do with ordering limitations (like only by the rack)? My inclination would be to start with fewer T500s and more of the others but I don't know what would work best.

I have a similar option with my solids here without milling/relabeling anything! 50c, $1, $5 and $25. Now I think I have to try it at least once!

IMG_20170702_023203848[1]-min.jpg

IMG_20170702_023556919[1]-min.jpg

IMG_20170702_024617902[1]-min.jpg

IMG_20170702_024932151[1]-min.jpg

Here is a cute little chunk of the set I am talking about :). I think these would be the starting stacks I would be tempted to present to the table.

T300 Starting stacks

6 x 50c
12 x $1
12 x $5
9 x $25

What with the 50c chips lasting only 4 levels, I figured 6 of them would be plenty. More $5s in this case is also very good! I'd probably color up the lower chips up with them as well. For a smaller game (4-6 players) I think this would work out great!

I've also been itching to find a use for some Oasis $100s. I definitely don't like them as much as just the solids in this set, but I figured I'd take a look at them together just for the sake of discussion. I was wondering if having a spotted tournament set with only the lowest denom being a solid would look ok (like fracs in a cash set) but I don't think I like the idea of the highest denom being the only spotted chip in a solid set.

I'm glad I took the time to take a close look at what I had before deciding to sell any chips. It's a win-win really: I have a playable set and chippers who may be looking for some of these hotstamped chips could potentially find them at their door sometime down the road without fear that I may mill them!

I think I would still prefer that the $1s and $25s were denominated on both sides but these colors are way too nice to care much about that. I know I've seen a suits mold set with these colors together before :)

Attachments

• IMG_20170702_024829649[1]-min.jpg
    IMG_20170702_024829649[1]-min.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_20170702_024224339[1]-min.jpg
    IMG_20170702_024224339[1]-min.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom