Thanksgiving.... (1 Viewer)

wish there were a white castle in Washington state or something so i could finally see what the fuss is. I haven't the foggiest what is so special about it besides having their name in the title of a movie.

in other news, Seattle just got a shake shack so maybe the 3 hour drive south might be worth doing soon :D

wish there were a white castle in Washington state or something so i could finally see what the fuss is. I haven't the foggiest what is so special about it besides having their name in the title of a movie.

in other news, Seattle just got a shake shack so maybe the 3 hour drive south might be worth doing soon :D
Find the closest five guys, if its further, drive to it.

Find the closest five guys, if its further, drive to it.

haha, luck be with us in Vancouver as we have 3 Five Guys in the area and then the next one is about a 30 minute drive into Washington State. So I'm not missing out on much, guess next i'm in Vegas i'll give White Castle a try, though In n Out is just a few more strides away.... decisions, decisions.

haha, luck be with us in Vancouver as we have 3 Five Guys in the area and then the next one is about a 30 minute drive into Washington State. So I'm not missing out on much, guess next i'm in Vegas i'll give White Castle a try, though In n Out is just a few more strides away.... decisions, decisions.
White Castle has nothing on In and Out... It's more of a novelty with the sliders and just how cheap it is.

A long time ago, back when I was barely out of college, my mother-in-law hosted a large Thanksgiving dinner where we were all encouraged to invite "orphans". An orphan was someone who didn't have family or other plans for the holiday. It could be anyone and we ended up with "everyone" - someone got the word out in the NASA community and we ended up with a wild range of people from all over the world. Also quite a few interesting people from the greater Houston area.

Everyone was encouraged to bring something to the feast that reminded them of home, or not if they couldn't afford it or had no kitchen. Let's just say the meal was interesting. Some things were delicious. Others were revolting. I grew up with moist cornbread dressing or Louisiana style wild rice dressing. I learned other people made their dressing much differently, perhaps inedible to a Texas boy like me.

All-in-all it was a great idea. { pain in the butt to be on clean up though after 30+ people } I found I loved fruit tamales. Same thing with some of the Asian dishes. Curry and thanksgiving didn't mix for me. Some sort of almost raw oyster dressing dish still ranks as one of the top ten nastiest things I ever put in my mouth.

Must have been a half dozen people who had no idea what happened at Thanksgiving. I hope they figured it out. Also a couple of guys who were basically homeless gay men [ mother-in-law did pro-bono work with them ] suffering from something we later came to understand as AIDs. That helped me figure out what Thanksgiving was about . . .

All in all it was the most interesting holiday I can recall -=- DrStrange

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom