Texture of ceramic chips (1 Viewer)

Lofotangel

Sitting Out
Reaction score
So, my new custom set from sunfly just arrived, and I ordered a “textured” surface on them, as I tend to find regular ceramics a bit to slippery when stacking.. the surface I got on my new set sure was something else. Almost feels like a smooth sand paper. The chips stack amazingly, and I recon they’ll be awesome to handle in a game. But it was something I haven’t seen before, as all the ceramics I’ve played with before has been smooth ones..

What do you guys enjoy more? Smooth or textured ceramics? Pros and cons?

Attachments

• AF37234B-31E2-406F-9FA2-C5154206BE9E.jpeg
    AF37234B-31E2-406F-9FA2-C5154206BE9E.jpeg
    190.3 KB · Views: 260
  • 8D7F352F-1AB5-4DDB-8CFB-EF1C75A79FE8.jpeg
    8D7F352F-1AB5-4DDB-8CFB-EF1C75A79FE8.jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 261
Awesome to finally see these produced; the design thread for these was among the first stuff I remember discovering when I came to PCF about a year ago and was considering my own ceramic options.

As for the texture, I opted for my tournament set from BR Pro to be done on ChipCo ceramics which definitely have a tad more texture than regular blanks, albeit it's a very subtle difference in those cases and not something I'd refer to as a "smooth sand paper," so I'd be very curious to handle these from SunFly to see the difference!

Ah, so cool to have someone recognize the design

Yeah, I’ve handled several from brpro, and these sunfly ones definitely have more texture. The thing I immediately guess will be noticeable when playing is how well the grip each other in a stack.. no tendency to spinners, and they stack really straight and easily.. on the other hand they have a bit more resistance when shuffled and being pushed together after the shuffle.. but I guess they’ll break in to even more of a sweet spot after a few rounds of poker

So, my new custom set from sunfly just arrived, and I ordered a “textured” surface on them, as I tend to find regular ceramics a bit to slippery when stacking.. the surface I got on my new set sure was something else. Almost feels like a smooth sand paper. The chips stack amazingly, and I recon they’ll be awesome to handle in a game. But it was something I haven’t seen before, as all the ceramics I’ve played with before has been smooth ones..

Can you post a close up like this?
DA786E48-2092-495E-87CA-139865B53C72.jpeg

Can you post a close up like this?
I hope you can see on these pics.. didnt have a makro lense.. but you see the Edge where the texture starts..

Attachments

• 7E61342D-0FD8-4742-A2E7-FB2EB2AC7199.jpeg
    7E61342D-0FD8-4742-A2E7-FB2EB2AC7199.jpeg
    225.3 KB · Views: 116
  • 4870CFA9-A5E9-477B-9855-E931BF90E953.jpeg
    4870CFA9-A5E9-477B-9855-E931BF90E953.jpeg
    156.4 KB · Views: 126
  • 39ABC829-C194-411F-9E9D-5F7F9EC95B45.jpeg
    39ABC829-C194-411F-9E9D-5F7F9EC95B45.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 115
I hope you can see on these pics.. didnt have a makro lense.. but you see the Edge where the texture starts..
I used my new iphone. These cameras are really starting to be pretty good haha. I can kind of see what your talking about. I think the texture makes a huge difference.

The last picture looks really pronounced raising lip of the texture, but that's probably the lighting. These textured ceramics have been around for a while and not sure if they changed over the years. I'm haven't looked much into it yet as it's a new realm to me. The current group buys have textured chips too. Not sure how the textured grit/friction and color will hold over time. I would guess they are less slippery than most chips out there.

Following to get more insight.

Who did you order them from if you dont mind sharing? And is that a pronounced lip like @ktran mentioned, and how does it feel to handle?

Who did you order them from if you dont mind sharing? And is that a pronounced lip like @ktran mentioned, and how does it feel to handle?
yeah, the lip is quite prominent, but after a few playing sessions it’s smoothed a bit.. they feel quite a bit better now than when I first got them.. they stack and hold the stacking a lot better than my other smoother ceramics, so that’s a positive, but I’m not loving that lip still..
Bought them from a Norwegian web shop who orders from Sunfly

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom