Teaching kids poker (1 Viewer)

silverfox

Waiting List
Reaction score
What are some good poker games that you would use to teach a 11yr old kid how to play against people and good chip management?

I tried teaching Badugi once and it worked nice. No hand ranks to teach. Basically, only teaching about blinds, betting streets and bluffing opportunities.

I think 5-card draw would be a good next step (was my first and got me passionate about the game).

Best to start simple with just NLHE

I not sure how rich 11 yo are now, maybe 1/2c or 2c/5c stake?

They can know about money management once they start doing house chores to repay the money owned in poker

Last edited:
My kids are still infants but my plan is to get them started with limit games to learn the rules and betting streets and then transition to NLHE down the line.
And I intend to keep it to sit and go / tournaments and play for an ice cream cone or something similar before introducing cash games. ;)

I just started teach my 9 and 13 year old how to play in the last month or so. Started with NLHE. They picked up the gist & flow of the game in a night, but the finer points will take time and more + more hands. Still using many hands and situations as coaching opportunities- lol.

They loved it and want to play all the time now! It’s actually great fun - nice family game night.

If your kids have no familiarity with poker yet, try starting with a game called Ricochet Poker:
It's not poker, but it teaches many of the fundamental concepts, including putting chips in the pot, pot odds, folding, reading hands, and hand rankings. It's fast and fun and a decent game in its own right, and it's a good "warm-up" for learning real poker.

If your kids have no familiarity with poker yet, try starting with a game called Ricochet Poker:
It's not poker, but it teaches many of the fundamental concepts, including putting chips in the pot, pot odds, folding, reading hands, and hand rankings. It's fast and fun and a decent game in its own right, and it's a good "warm-up" for learning real poker.
That looks like a great game to try with the kids!! I’ll try that next time.

Thanks everyone for your posts. We did start with NLHE about a month ago and he seems to enjoy it. And even though I tend to lose to him on the river I do enjoy teaching him how the flow of the game works and how to understand how different hands begin to unfold. We don't play for real money or anything tangible yet. I am not sure when I would like to introduce actual rewards and consequences to the game. As he develops I think I might next introduce 5-card draw to introduce a new way of thinking for him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom