Tales from the attic.... (1 Viewer)

Statesvegas

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
For reasons that are not important to this post, there was a disconnect between my immediate family and my father's family from the time I was approximately 12 years old (when he passed away) through about 5 years ago. While my siblings have since been able to develop a close relationship with that side of the family, my communications with that side of the family have been primarily through telephone and text.

About a year ago, an uncle reached out to me. He had heard from my younger sister that I was interested in poker and that I had recently finished out the basement and had a table built. He told me that he had something in his attic that had belonged to his father (my grandfather) that he thought I would enjoy having in my poker room, and promised to put it in the mail.

When it arrived, it was clear that this had been sitting for quite some time. There was no glass, more than 1/2 of the cards had fallen off the backing and were loose (although all were present) and there was a layer of dust/grime covering everything that was not going to come off easily.

I brought it to my locally owned framing/gift shop, and they promised to do their best to clean it up and restore it to as close to original as possible. They did a wonderful job, and that is the original frame. All of the notes he wrote on the backing and the cards as to when they were played and the money earned was kept intact. I couldn't be happier with the end result.

Now for two interesting facts:

(1) My grandfather's name on the backing is spelled differently than I have spelled my last name all my life, and differently than my uncles/aunts/etc. When I inquired as to why/how that was, I was informed by my uncle that my grandfather had "some issues with the IRS", and that after a certain point he started spelling his name differently to avoid detection. Gotta love an outlaw.....

(2) In the second royal flush from the top, the backs of cards are all red with the exception of the king of spades. His backing was a blackish/blue. I was informed of this by the ladies at the frame shop, who thought it was hilarious. Again, gotta love an outlaw.

It's my favorite piece of artwork in the basement. As of yet, I am unable to say that I have held a royal flush in a live card game for money. When I do, I shall begin putting mine together for my grandkids.
gvuIHggwQuCYO7fl0Ja4Hg.jpg

That is so cool. I want to look up those dates to see if they were weekends! No clubs huh!
You piqued my interest, so I threw the dates into google to see what days they fell on. Not a single hand was acquired during a weekend. May 25, 1925 was a Monday, November 15, 1932 was a Tuesday; June 13, 1946 was a Thursday and November 21, 1946 was also a Thursday.

Now I am starting to wonder if the reason I have yet to hold a hand like this is because I exclusively host games between Friday evening and Sunday afternoon. Might be time to switch it up a bit.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom