Taking the plunge... (1 Viewer)

Silverpie

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Finally decided to get a ceramic set during the recent sales. First up, let's see if someone can guess my theme from one side of the chips...

Canevas 1.png

Cool about doing a theme set. But I have to be honest with you. The design is very hard my eyes. Feels too busy without an anchor point.

Sixspeed is closest so far... hint, the specific color combos are significant too...

I'm confused if its cash or tourney. Interesting denominations.

I raise one male sign. I re-raise one cat. I re-raise a female sign. Sideways moon all in!

As far as denominations, it's combined tourney/board-gaming. (The local law enforcement is ruthless w/r/t cash games...)

Anyway, I agree on further review that it's on the busy side... Second iteration, big number, and the Japanese denominations are banished to the rolling edge (this would be on ceramic).
Canevas 1B.png

Definitely dig this new design more. Makes the denoms much bigger. As well as adds a main focal point anchor for the chips.

OK, the theme is actually Sailor Moon. The 1 is Mercury, the 5 Mars, the 25 Jupiter, the 500 Saturn, the 2k Venus, the 10k Sailor Moon herself... and the 100 is Luna!

OK, the theme is actually Sailor Moon. The 1 is Mercury, the 5 Mars, the 25 Jupiter, the 500 Saturn, the 2k Venus, the 10k Sailor Moon herself... and the 100 is Luna!
That’s really creative! Will your poker buds get the reference haha

As far as denominations, it's combined tourney/board-gaming. (The local law enforcement is ruthless w/r/t cash games...)

Anyway, I agree on further review that it's on the busy side... Second iteration, big number, and the Japanese denominations are banished to the rolling edge (this would be on ceramic).View attachment 589616
Id suggest keeping the layout the same and potentially make the 1 and 5s with vertical allignment like the rest of the chips

Reactions: BNM

Anyway, I agree on further review that it's on the busy side... Second iteration, big number, and the Japanese denominations are banished to the rolling edge (this would be on ceramic).View attachment 589616
Aren’t those planet symbols?

Edit: whats SailorMoon?

VERY interesting design! I don’t like it, but I appreciate it. And that’s a weird dissonance that is strangely appealing somehow...

Anyway, nice work sir!

You're not going to use any anime images on the chips? It would be a shame not to use some of that blank space.
In this version, staying as far as I can from the copyright line. Will put together another with some pix.

In this version, staying as far as I can from the copyright line. Will put together another with some pix.

Never let it be said that I encourage copyright infringement. However, dealing with issues practically, you're not appropriating anything for commercial use, nor (likely) for profit. Using a particular image from Sailor Moon would be no worse than using a logo of a professional sports team, or a university crest, or replicating an image from a production design from a movie or TV show, all of which has been done dozens of times over by our very peers.

Still working on this. Anyway, the though process, starting from a Sailor Moon theme... if its "main" city is Crystal Tokyo, then there should be "Crystal" other places... so we'll have this set be from my homeland, Tennessee (that's an old official state song, btw). And since poker hasn't really taken off in Japan, picking a game that is popular there... thus the set name, "Mahjong Parlor Crystal Tennessee". (This also somewhat explains the range of values—in the modern Japanese style, 100 would be the smallest value, but in Chinese style, it would be too large and one needs to go down to 1).

Anyway, the dealer button(s), which I'll be making myself on the library's laser cutter once they reopen from the pandemic. Since dice are traditionally the dealer marker in mahjong, but poker uses a button instead, I designed a button with cutouts for dice (the red squares, which hold a 16mm die each at the intended 3-inch size).

Attachments

• Sailor Moon dealer buttons.png
    Sailor Moon dealer buttons.png
    169 KB · Views: 83
Still working on this. Anyway, the though process, starting from a Sailor Moon theme... if its "main" city is Crystal Tokyo, then there should be "Crystal" other places... so we'll have this set be from my homeland, Tennessee (that's an old official state song, btw). And since poker hasn't really taken off in Japan, picking a game that is popular there... thus the set name, "Mahjong Parlor Crystal Tennessee". (This also somewhat explains the range of values—in the modern Japanese style, 100 would be the smallest value, but in Chinese style, it would be too large and one needs to go down to 1).

Anyway, the dealer button(s), which I'll be making myself on the library's laser cutter once they reopen from the pandemic. Since dice are traditionally the dealer marker in mahjong, but poker uses a button instead, I designed a button with cutouts for dice (the red squares, which hold a 16mm die each at the intended 3-inch size).
Please share pics, these will be cool to see how they turn out

The dealer button doesn't tie in with the overall them of the set, tbh. You'd be better off using a location from the anime.

Was originally thinking of a double theme (one side a Sailor Moon theme, the other a Tennessee theme), with the title bridging them. That was probably a bad idea. (The Tennessee theme would be more suited to a hot stamp and/or photo-ish labels on another set.) Given that, the new name would be Mugen Academy Mahjong Club. (That's the school where some of the later characters go.) Still working on chip pix...

"House mold" would be a bit off—the aim is more quasi-Matsui than quasi-clay. But I did add some extra space, and also, here's the 500. Looking at it further, adding symbols at the far left and right might be a good idea...
25 and 500.png

OK, here we go with the first version of all seven. A few notes on the design:
For the most part, I've tried to match the two outer-ring colors to the skirt and bow of the guardian on the chip. In two cases (1 and 25), this wasn't enough contrast, so their light colors are from Mercury's eyes and Jupiter's earrings; on the 500, the gray is from her weapon. I couldn't find a good transparent image of Luna as a cat, so the 100 shows her human form.
I also tried to make a progression of expressions (the higher the value, the happier the guardian).
Sailor Moon poker chips.png

The 100 is indeed an oddball, even in the theme (being technically a cat...). I have come up with several options for the visual issue.

#1 (left) is the current version.
#2 uses a gray ring.
#3 handles the discontinuity in a traditional way, with a yellow ring as a fimbriation.
#4 plays the difference up, switching the background to a slice of the Pillars of Creation image from the Hubble Telescope (the others are all segments of its Ultra Deep Field image).

100 options.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom