Taking a road trip ... for beer (1 Viewer)

krafticus

Straight Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
So, a buddy and myself are thinking about taking a road trip to get beer this week. Despite the COVID, and crossing a “few” state lines (5) .. anyone ever done something like that?

heading to Wisconsin to get some spotted cow. Maybe ... 10 cases or so.,.

Neither Of us are working, so we have nothing better to do.

mark

Spotted Cow is often in my in-laws' fridge (near Milwaukee). Love the road trip idea. If you end up in Milwaukee, and if they are doing tours, go to Lakefront Brewery. Great tour.

Sounds cool! I've never taken a road trip just for beer, but I've picked up beer from other states while on vacation. Last year we were in Indiana and I spotted Yuengling on the shelf at the Walmart while getting snacks. I ended up bringing back 3 cases - 2 of them for @justsomedude. Then I grabbed a case of Stag in St. Louis on the way home.

Beer is part of the reason I moved to Colorado. After a few years in Dallas in the early 2000s, I was disappointed with the local craft beer scene there (plus the heat and a bunch of other things). We took a trip to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons and I asked on another forum for advice on stuff to see. One guy mentioned 90 Schilling and something else, but didn't even explain that they were beers. When we went to eat at Grand Tetons NP, I saw 90 Schilling on the menu. "Oh, it's a beer! I'll try that!" It was delicious. So I bought a case in Jackson Hole at a liquor store and carried it all the way across town back to my car (with lots of comments of "where's the party?" from people going by).

Back in Dallas, my wife and I decided it was time to go and chose Denver as our place to move. I vowed not to drink the last bottle of 90 Schilling until we were in Colorado, and I did it! The empty bottle is in my workshop still.

With baseball shut down, I can't think of a better reason for a road trip, than this one!

Have a great time!

Moon man is great by new glarus too. I actually like it better than sported cow.

A few breweries in the milwaukee area could keep you busy... look up these:

Broken Bat
Raised Grain
Third space
Mob craft
City lights

In college, 4 of us took a road trip from Seattle to Redding, CA for In-N-Out. 10 hours each way. There are now a couple of locations in Oregon, but none in WA yet.

I drove about 8hrs each way to get to Hill Farmstead Brewery on a day trip before. Picked up for friends as well to make it worth it. There are several true top tier breweries near me now so I don’t go to extremes any longer.

So, a buddy and myself are thinking about taking a road trip to get beer this week. Despite the COVID, and crossing a “few” state lines (5) .. anyone ever done something like that?

heading to Wisconsin to get some spotted cow. Maybe ... 10 cases or so.,.

Neither Of us are working, so we have nothing better to do.

mark
Drive safely. Watch out for speed traps in OH (the state highways are 1 big speed trap).

In college, 4 of us took a road trip from Seattle to Redding, CA for In-N-Out. 10 hours each way. There are now a couple of locations in Oregon, but none in WA yet.
I’m a fan - had In-N-Out when out in LA a few years back. I wish In-N-Out were available on the east coast.

Any excuse for a road trip will do, but there aren’t very many excuses that are better than beer. 3 Floyds in Munster, IN is a worthy add-on beer stop just south of I-90 & I-94. You’ll also travel past Racine, the mecca of kringle which is Wisconsin’s official state pastry.

If you travel west on 94 from Milwaukee to go through Madison to get to New Glarus, Ale Asylum is on the way. They make some great beer...you could stop on the way, its near the airport.. Their Ambergeddon is my favorite...very malty. You should stop at Three Floyds, but do it around lunch so you can get a burger there.

Although I think you might want to check into whats going on...a LEO we all know was telling stories that there is some maurauding going on around Madison. Make sure the stuff is open and not funked up.

On a road trip now to get a haircut in 5 states. Hit the gulf of Mexico and have not returned in a month.

New glarus Wisconsin is a great little town. Home of good beer and nice peeps. Bare naked beer is good too.

We need updates like this

1591197975126.png

More pics mark! Safe travels. I would have guessed it took longer than 10 hours to drive. Pics of beer and food pls.

Also, what’s on the tunes?

There may be a lot of good burger places along the way, but Kopps in Milwaukee is a premium option. So good in fact that when we travelled to a friends birthday in the north Chicago suburbs, we drove to Kopps in Milwaukee.

...and that wasn't the first time...

A few years earlier, we were driving up to Wisconsin for a wedding (Mrs Zombie was officiating the wedding) at a very posh country club. We stopped off at Kopps on the way. The entire wedding party was there.

It's that good.

In other news; when I was a teenager, my family was taking one "last" family vacation. We drove from Detroit to Idaho, stopped in a Wendy's and ordered baked potatoes (which they were oddly out of). We piled back in the car and drove home.

So, 10 cases of beer... makes sense to me! :wow:

There may be a lot of good burger places along the way, but Kopps in Milwaukee is a premium option. So good in fact that when we travelled to a friends birthday in the north Chicago suburbs, we drove to Kopps in Milwaukee.

...and that wasn't the first time...

A few years earlier, we were driving up to Wisconsin for a wedding (Mrs Zombie was officiating the wedding) at a very posh country club. We stopped off at Kopps on the way. The entire wedding party was there.

It's that good.

In other news; when I was a teenager, my family was taking one "last" family vacation. We drove from Detroit to Idaho, stopped in a Wendy's and ordered baked potatoes (which they were oddly out of). We piled back in the car and drove home.

So, 10 cases of beer... makes sense to me! :wow:
I’ve heard of Kopps. It is a must visit

Driving through Ohio is painful. Look, a farm, with a barn, and silos. 274 miles of that. And the damn road construction. Sheesh 18 miles to Indiana

Never herd of spotted cow Mark, but definitely sounds like an awesome road trip!! Maybe one will be left when we all start playing again! Safe Travels Brother!!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom