Taking a crack at an elliptical table (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I decided that I need a 3rd table. I need a proper table for the cash game to start at. Also I need a table that fits more than 8, just in case I have 9 or 10 players. My first two tables are octagons and they don't fit more than 8 comfortably at all, we tried once, never again. Before I start I have one question... What's a good size table for 10 players? The table probably won't see 10 that often but I want to be prepared.

I built a jig and I'm ready to go.
Elipse Jig.jpg

I have my foam, SSC and suede rail fabric ready to go as well.
I have the plywood too but that'd be a boring picture.
SSC.jpg
Rail Fabric.jpg

I'll try to snap some pictures as I go and share my progress.

I haven't played on an elliptical table but my 48x96 oval will seat 12 easy. which is fine but it is a BFT. When i get caught up on some other projects I'm gonna make a smaller table probably around 42ishx80ish

Care to elaborate on your jig :whistle: :whistling:

A 96"x48" ellipse will give about 23-1/4" of the perimeter to each of ten players. 94"x44" gives 22-3/8" ea. This would be pretty comfortable spacing.

Recently finished an ellipse myself and really like the shape. Looking forward to following along, and likewise interested how that jig works!

I ran into a snag this afternoon. My base plate was to small on my jig. I made it 36" which I thought was the biggest I could go to and still be able to get the router around the base. I didn't give much thought to where the other end of the arm would go. It slips out of the slot and hangs out 7"s. I did some calculations and realized that I'd need a base around 50". That wouldn't work well on a 48" piece of plywood. I thought of making longer slides but I'm worried about the sturdiness of them sticking out 10"s. I'm also concerned if they hit in the middle at some point. I guess I'll cut some longer slides and do a dry run.

If he got that range out of a 14" base I thought I'd be fine. I see now that the difference of minor and major dimensions can't be much different from the base length.
Capture.JPG

Here's a pdf of the plans if any one want's to see it or use it for something else.

Attachments

• Elliptical Router Jig.pdf
    899.2 KB · Views: 214
Bummer! But hey, you can still use the jig to cut out some matching ellipse-shaped drink carts!

Watch out for string stretch on the pin/string method, that was my biggest obstacle.

I actually have a large metal template for an oval table. I used it ONCE, and have been lugging it around for about 5 years, maybe longer. If you were closer, I'd offer it to you.

How does that work? Is it one fixed size?

Good to see that I'm not the only one to do some of the work in the living room.

It IS one fixed size. It's pretty simple to use. You'd lay it over your work wood, then run a router or jigsaw along the outside first. Then the open parts on your individual pieces. Does that make sense? I can get it out and take some better pics if you like.

When I lived in that place, I didn't have much room to work. I got a much bigger place now with a dedicated poker room now. Woo!

Finally had a chance to cut some wood today.
20180105_163540.jpg
20180104_201606.jpg

They came close but I have some sanding to do to even them out some.
20180105_164259.jpg

I struggled some on what to use to make my lines. I started with a pencil, the tip kept breaking and it wasn't working out. I then tried a brand new sharpie with a fresh tip. The braided wire tore it up so fast that the line got really fat really quick. I then went to a ball point pen, worked perfectly. If I build another table I think I'll also stack my plywood and drill a hole straight though all the pieces to guarantee that my screws are in the exact same place on each sheet. I took my time, followed the lines very carefully and used 4 blades to cut my plywood. I can only blame my placement of the screws and the one line that was done in marker for the pieces being off a bit. Oh, I think I drew the ellipse on that bottom board with a different wire too, it stretched some. Should've redrawn that line. Oops.

Here's my string (1/16th braided wire) setup.
20180104_172650.jpg
20180105_155858.jpg

Cut some holes and I glued and screwed the rail today.

Here's the rail (upside down.)
20180106_171410.jpg

Here's the playing surface.
20180106_171452.jpg

Here they are put together.
20180106_171712.jpg

To late to change my mind now but I feel like I should've located the cup holder holes in the middle of where they are now. I've never sat at an elliptical or an oval table before but I would think that people are going to sit right in front of where i put the cup holders. Who wants a cup holder centered right in front of them? I would think that it'd be better off to the side. I could be wrong. I'm going to hate these cup holders more than I thought I would.

On a positive note, I love this circle guide. Bad angle on the picture, but I had to share it.
20180105_215252.jpg

Reactions: 72o
Cut some holes and I glued and screwed the rail today.

Here's the rail (upside down.)
View attachment 145152
Here's the playing surface.
View attachment 145153
Here they are put together.
View attachment 145154
To late to change my mind now but I feel like I should've located the cup holder holes in the middle of where they are now. I've never sat at an elliptical or an oval table before but I would think that people are going to sit right in front of where i put the cup holders. Who wants a cup holder centered right in front of them? I would think that it'd be better off to the side. I could be wrong. I'm going to hate these cup holders more than I thought I would.

On a positive note, I love this circle guide. Bad angle on the picture, but I had to share it.
View attachment 145156
Looking great!

The cupholder placement is a debate with no real definitive answer imho. I prefer the cupholders directly in front of me and wouldn’t want it any other way. My arms rest on the rail to either side of my drink.

I’ve never played on an elliptical. Is somebody supposed to sit right on the point, or are you supposed to have people just to either side of the point?

I’ve never played on an elliptical. Is somebody supposed to sit right on the point, or are you supposed to have people just to either side of the point?

I built an elliptical years ago that still gets use by my brothers from time to time.

Never have anyone directly on the point unless they’re being squeezed in.

My arms rest on the rail to either side of my drink.
That makes sense.

I don't know I've never played at one either. If people sat on each side of the point you could play 5 on 5. Lol

I had two goals when I started this project. One was to build a table without a racetrack (my first two tables do) and a totally clean playing surface. The second was to build a not so common shape table hence the ellipse.

I built an elliptical years ago that still gets use by my brothers from time to time.

Never have anyone directly on the point unless they’re being squeezed in.
Gotcha. That’s what I thought.
Well I think the cup holders are fine. Personallly, I don’t like shuffling and dealing with a drink centered in front of me, so unless there’s a dedicated dealer, I definitely want my drink on my right.

I guess there's the answer.

Yours looks like it seats 10 comfortably without worrying about having someone on the end. That’s the seating arrangement I’d push for. Just seat players based on their drink choice so there’s no confusion ;)

Did some of the little things today.

Cut 10 rings so the cup holders don't make a dent in the rail. I was debating on whether to make them or not. Mainly because that circle guide gives me the same result as this...
I don't use them anymore myself since I get my CNC to cut the holes to the exact size of the cup holders so that it's a very snug fit and I don't get sunken cup holders.
But I was concerned with them being so tight that rail cloth wouldn't fit it there so I made them an additional 1/8" wider (1/16" all the way around) to make sure everything would fit. Plus I got to play with the new toy.
20180107_135409.jpg
20180107_135718.jpg

I also put in the t-nuts to attach the rail to the playing surface.
20180107_145501.jpg

Then I cut 3/16" off all around the playing surface so when I upholstered the speed cloth and rail fabric edges would have a good place to hide. I'll take a picture and show it when the table is done. It''ll be easier to show then to explain it.

Reactions: 72o

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom