Table Time! Seeking tips. (1 Viewer)

TheWhat

Flush
Reaction score
We (Well perhaps I) have decided that our faithful table topper shall be no more when we come out of this socially distanced phase we are in. Amazing how much we have missed our home game, and want to kick off too a fresh start when we can. We are going to roll with Chanman Poker Tables, believe he may be a member here, and can't wait to get started. We're both busy hospital workers (Not the frontline type, God bless you), so hoping the forum can save us some time in decisions to make.

Would love feedback, and any strong opinions you may have on your experiences with a table build. Couple decisions are made already, and while likely won't move off those decisions; if something screams wrong please let me know!

Locked in:
  • Table topper for our existing dining room table. No dedicated space for a poker room until the children are a bit older. Pic attached was the inspiration.
  • Rail, but not overly raised; ie no lights.
  • Custom felt.

Unsure:
  • Felt colors, was thinking purple. How greatly are chips affected by felt color? IE do / should felt colors affect chip choice patterns and colors later?
  • In rail cup holders? Feel this is a great look. Or slide in cup holders? Feel these are more functional.
  • 8 or 10 seats? Rarely reach 10 players, is it foolish to not build for it though?

Themes:
  • Struggling here with this, outside of the color, any tips on customizing the home table?
  • Outside, and inside betting line patterns?

We are leaning towards tying in some language culture, with family name. Generally a less is more type household, but certainly want some flash / pop; thoughts on how to balance this? There are a couple poker "quotes" I like ... one could work along the betting line?

Anyhow, little rambly but would very much appreciate any insight / advice that may be available.

Attachments

• TableTopper.png
    TableTopper.png
    261.4 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:
We (Well perhaps I) have decided that our faithful table topper shall be no more when we come out of this socially distanced phase we are in. Amazing how much we have missed our home game, and want to kick off too a fresh start when we can. We are going to roll with Chanman Poker Tables, believe he may be a member here, and can't wait to get started. We're both busy hospital workers (Not the frontline type, God bless you), so hoping the forum can save us some time in decisions to make.

Would love feedback, and any strong opinions you may have on your experiences with a table build. Couple decisions are made already, and while likely won't move off those decisions; if something screams wrong please let me know!

Locked in:
  • Table topper for our existing dining room table. No dedicated space for a poker room until the children are a bit older. Pic attached was the inspiration.
  • Rail, but not overly raised; ie no lights.
  • Custom felt.

Unsure:
  • Felt colors, was thinking purple. How greatly are chips affected by felt color? IE do / should felt colors affect chip choice patterns and colors later?
  • In rail cup holders? Feel this is a great look. Or slide in cup holders? Feel these are more functional.
  • 8 or 10 seats? Rarely reach 10 players, is it foolish to not build for it though?

Themes:
  • Struggling here with this, outside of the color, any tips on customizing the home table?
  • Outside, and inside betting line patterns?

We are leaning towards tying in some language culture, with family name. Generally a less is more type household, but certainly want some flash / pop; thoughts on how to balance this? There are a couple poker "quotes" I like ... one could work along the betting line?

Anyhow, little rambly but would very much appreciate any insight / advice that may be available.

Dying to see how this turns out. I have the same issue here as I have detached the folding legs from my poker table and we have used it as a full table top in the dining room. It is heavy but it works out. Storage and convenience is the pain...

Please send us pics when @T_Chan finishes up for you!!!

Green felt is classic. I highly recommend some sort of betting line or artwork that can delineate a betting line. Other than that, do what you like.

(3/4" high rail. See if 84' x 42" fits in your space. Slide in cupholders.)

Made a few decisions, still trying to come up with a design. So many options, and this sweet color swatch arrived today.

Definitely doing a bet line, struggling with any kind of art work at the moment.

Attachments

• 20200622_202406.jpg
    20200622_202406.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 157
  • received_269400727606580.jpeg
    received_269400727606580.jpeg
    172.1 KB · Views: 206
- You can't ever go wrong with @T_Chan :)
- If your dining room is also your poker room, the expensive solution is to have a poker table with a dining top, whereas the cheaper one is to have a poker topper for your existing dining table.
- Yes, slightly raised rail. If it's a topper (not a table), I guess the rail will HAVE to be raised to accommodate in-rail cupholders (which I tend to prefer).
-Sure, custom felt with a betting line.
-Not necessarily artwork, unless you 're in love with a theme. Anyway, don't make the felt visually busy. You 'll be busy enough reading board cards and counting pots on it.
-Dark color felt, assuming the necessary strong lighting from above.
-Of course the felt color will dictate chip colors, or existing expensive chips will dictate felt color.
-Dimensions will be dictated by your room (or existing table, in the case of a topper).
Keep us posted:)

I agree make sure there is a bet line and darker color felt if you don't have a set theme. And to me cupholders not really that necessary.

Congrats on deciding to go for a Chanman table. Good choice!

Yes, as mentioned above, the felt (custom cloth, not really felt) color will impact on your chip design, especially if you decide to go down the CPC custom chip route in the future. If you are using existing sets, then it is simpler to pick a cloth color that has at least a bit of contrast with all the chips in the set. If you are going custom chips, then watch for some base colors that may get lost on a similar background colored cloth.

The biggest advice I would give is to take some time to think about the theme that you want to use (if any). Sometimes the theme will determine the main cloth color, and everything else can flow from there. For example, a Blue Bombers theme would probably require a shade of blue as the base with gold lettering, while a Roughriders theme would of course require a green base color with white lettering (and would subject you to serious abuse from your fellow Manitobans). Use your imagination to select something that you like or that means something to you, and run with it!

Need some amount of one of Purple - Red - Black in the cloth, per my partner. At least for the foreseeable future the below chip set will be used. Still undetermined if I add "Degenerate Chipper" to the hobby list :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Been scouring pics pics pics, and what I am leaning towards is a darker outer ring, that lightens towards the play area.

Have been thinking lately of asking @p5woody if the files may be available to grab the Font - Shield - Scroll work, to perhaps work into the design. Feel like the blade design could be mimicked for a betting line.

1592947544980.png

Great sounding board here, so a few sources of inspiration:

Purple, checks a box for my partner. Not sure I am in love with the speed cloth design, there is another pattern I much prefer to it. Also really like the motif, and like the idea of script on the betting line. Also has that darker edge to lighter inside playing area.

1592951796617.png

The aforementioned different 4 Suits pattern. The other piece I love here, is the betting line color, being worked into the centre of the table.

1592952127218.png
1592952158229.png

Back to the script theme, this double lined betting line pops, and allows for a space to write, and again the lighter interior.

1592952275120.png

Then I keep going back to this table which I adore (Makes me dream for a circle). The design is incredible, line work is amazing. It has me a bit torn, confuses me whether I prefer a 4 Suits cards focused type pattern, or something like a floral design.

1592952605990.png

This is the shape of our table, this throws a bit of a curve into wording as the angle doesn't have the same flow as a curve. Not sure if this lends itself to a more fluid pattern to be applied to rake away some of the rigid feel.

Attachments

• 20200623_180013.jpg
    20200623_180013.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 190
Two pieces of advise:
  • If designing a custom felt, avoid an overly-busy pattern (chips/cards can get lost, and causes eyestrain after many hours), and choose colors where the card and chip colors you use most frequently will stand out on the felt vs getting lost. Working a betting line into the design is a very smart idea..
  • Since it's a topper going onto an existing dining table, I would not get a raised rail. The resulting tabletop will be too high for comfortable use, and it's unlikely that you'll want to cut down the table legs to compensate.
This is the shape of our table, this throws a bit of a curve
Your table-top does not need to conform to the exact dimensions of your table. No problems with a true oval topper design overhanging a table, even a rectangular one.

Thanks @BGinGA

Seems to be multiple mentions of felt color and chips ... was pretty set on purple felt, and of course will be using the Purple from the Prestige buy everytime we play ... hmm.

I can't imagine not having a betting line. Our old foldout topper has one, we don't normally have to worry about it, but everyone clearly knows what it means!

We are going with a low profile rail, not raised, but it can still hold cups flush. That was a harder decision, but ultimately will work fine for our game.

I'd go with in rail cup holders and a 10 man table. Even if you don't get 10 that often, it would be nice to have when it does occur.

Green felt is classic. I highly recommend some sort of betting line or artwork that can delineate a betting line. Other than that, do what you like.

(3/4" high rail. See if 84' x 42" fits in your space. Slide in cupholders.)

I went with green and I love it.

Getting down to the nitty gritty here! Certainly leaning a particular way, and very excited about it. Even though I think our worst case scenario is a chopped pot, love to see / hear if there are strong opinions one way or the other ...

v5-Christo Koi Fish Table_Large Lotus - Dark Outer Ring - 3[21658].jpg v5-Christo Koi Fish Table_Purple Bright Lotus - 2[21657].jpg v5-Christo Koi Fish Table_Purple Light Lotus - 1[21656].jpg

i like slide in cupholders over in rail. that way people can adjust their seating

What are the dimensions of the table it is going on? Does the room have adequate space on all sides for any oval dimensions?

What are the dimensions of the table it is going on? Does the room have adequate space on all sides for any oval dimensions?

It would have had space, full size 92×42 IIRC, but we wanted to just match up.

We are locked in with the cup holders, just love the look too much with them in, and didn't want to store any clip under holders.

The reason why I asked about the size of the table underneath is that the shape you are showing will severely limit your seating options. Are you trying to make the shape and size of your poker table match the shape and size of your dining table? Is there a reason to do that? Can you make the ends slightly more traditional oval shape? It seems to me that if you go with a 42" width with the existing shape, each end of the table would only fit one person. Then being able to fit 4 people on each side may be tight unless you make the table a full 96" length. This also of course affects the position of your cupholders.

What size is your existing table topper? Was it just a mat? Of course you would know more about the existing table limitations since you have played on it!:)

Was a fold out topper, similar to a mat. And absolutely designing to only do 1 seat at each end, as we rarely play with 10. For the nights we do, we'll cozy up.

Sorry my poor wording to the recent bump in the post is the cause of confusion. Was wanting to showcase the awesome felt work design by @timinater As we were kicking around Purple vs Black. The rest has already been decided.

We've decided to roll with the Black though!

Attachments

• v6-Christo Koi Fish Table_Large Lotus - Dark Outer Ring - 2.jpg
    v6-Christo Koi Fish Table_Large Lotus - Dark Outer Ring - 2.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 108
So, are you saying you have already settled on the size and shape? I noticed in the pictures you sent you have one cup holder on one end, and two on the other end. Are you planning on putting the cuphholders directly in front of the seating positions, or to the side? The felt illustration looks great!

Yes, size, shape, cup holders, and now felt all done.

The illustration shows what the 10 vs 8 person layout would have been, ie left side vs right side; but as we are going with 8 the left side will look like the right side. If that makes sense.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom