Table Time! Seeking tips.

TheWhat

Pair
Reaction score
We (Well perhaps I) have decided that our faithful table topper shall be no more when we come out of this socially distanced phase we are in. Amazing how much we have missed our home game, and want to kick off too a fresh start when we can. We are going to roll with Chanman Poker Tables, believe he may be a member here, and can't wait to get started. We're both busy hospital workers (Not the frontline type, God bless you), so hoping the forum can save us some time in decisions to make.

Would love feedback, and any strong opinions you may have on your experiences with a table build. Couple decisions are made already, and while likely won't move off those decisions; if something screams wrong please let me know!

Locked in:
  • Table topper for our existing dining room table. No dedicated space for a poker room until the children are a bit older. Pic attached was the inspiration.
  • Rail, but not overly raised; ie no lights.
  • Custom felt.

Unsure:
  • Felt colors, was thinking purple. How greatly are chips affected by felt color? IE do / should felt colors affect chip choice patterns and colors later?
  • In rail cup holders? Feel this is a great look. Or slide in cup holders? Feel these are more functional.
  • 8 or 10 seats? Rarely reach 10 players, is it foolish to not build for it though?

Themes:
  • Struggling here with this, outside of the color, any tips on customizing the home table?
  • Outside, and inside betting line patterns?

We are leaning towards tying in some language culture, with family name. Generally a less is more type household, but certainly want some flash / pop; thoughts on how to balance this? There are a couple poker "quotes" I like ... one could work along the betting line?

Anyhow, little rambly but would very much appreciate any insight / advice that may be available.

Attachments

Last edited:

davethesave

Two Pair
Reaction score
We (Well perhaps I) have decided that our faithful table topper shall be no more when we come out of this socially distanced phase we are in. Amazing how much we have missed our home game, and want to kick off too a fresh start when we can. We are going to roll with Chanman Poker Tables, believe he may be a member here, and can't wait to get started. We're both busy hospital workers (Not the frontline type, God bless you), so hoping the forum can save us some time in decisions to make.

Would love feedback, and any strong opinions you may have on your experiences with a table build. Couple decisions are made already, and while likely won't move off those decisions; if something screams wrong please let me know!

Locked in:
  • Table topper for our existing dining room table. No dedicated space for a poker room until the children are a bit older. Pic attached was the inspiration.
  • Rail, but not overly raised; ie no lights.
  • Custom felt.

Unsure:
  • Felt colors, was thinking purple. How greatly are chips affected by felt color? IE do / should felt colors affect chip choice patterns and colors later?
  • In rail cup holders? Feel this is a great look. Or slide in cup holders? Feel these are more functional.
  • 8 or 10 seats? Rarely reach 10 players, is it foolish to not build for it though?

Themes:
  • Struggling here with this, outside of the color, any tips on customizing the home table?
  • Outside, and inside betting line patterns?

We are leaning towards tying in some language culture, with family name. Generally a less is more type household, but certainly want some flash / pop; thoughts on how to balance this? There are a couple poker "quotes" I like ... one could work along the betting line?

Anyhow, little rambly but would very much appreciate any insight / advice that may be available.
Dying to see how this turns out. I have the same issue here as I have detached the folding legs from my poker table and we have used it as a full table top in the dining room. It is heavy but it works out. Storage and convenience is the pain...

Please send us pics when @T_Chan finishes up for you!!!

allforcharity

Straight Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Green felt is classic. I highly recommend some sort of betting line or artwork that can delineate a betting line. Other than that, do what you like.

(3/4" high rail. See if 84' x 42" fits in your space. Slide in cupholders.)

Coyote

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
- You can't ever go wrong with @T_Chan :)
- If your dining room is also your poker room, the expensive solution is to have a poker table with a dining top, whereas the cheaper one is to have a poker topper for your existing dining table.
- Yes, slightly raised rail. If it's a topper (not a table), I guess the rail will HAVE to be raised to accommodate in-rail cupholders (which I tend to prefer).
-Sure, custom felt with a betting line.
-Not necessarily artwork, unless you 're in love with a theme. Anyway, don't make the felt visually busy. You 'll be busy enough reading board cards and counting pots on it.
-Dark color felt, assuming the necessary strong lighting from above.
-Of course the felt color will dictate chip colors, or existing expensive chips will dictate felt color.
-Dimensions will be dictated by your room (or existing table, in the case of a topper).
Keep us posted:)

DarkHelmet55

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I agree make sure there is a bet line and darker color felt if you don't have a set theme. And to me cupholders not really that necessary.

LotsOfChips

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
Congrats on deciding to go for a Chanman table. Good choice!

Yes, as mentioned above, the felt (custom cloth, not really felt) color will impact on your chip design, especially if you decide to go down the CPC custom chip route in the future. If you are using existing sets, then it is simpler to pick a cloth color that has at least a bit of contrast with all the chips in the set. If you are going custom chips, then watch for some base colors that may get lost on a similar background colored cloth.

The biggest advice I would give is to take some time to think about the theme that you want to use (if any). Sometimes the theme will determine the main cloth color, and everything else can flow from there. For example, a Blue Bombers theme would probably require a shade of blue as the base with gold lettering, while a Roughriders theme would of course require a green base color with white lettering (and would subject you to serious abuse from your fellow Manitobans). Use your imagination to select something that you like or that means something to you, and run with it!

TheWhat

Pair
Reaction score
Need some amount of one of Purple - Red - Black in the cloth, per my partner. At least for the foreseeable future the below chip set will be used. Still undetermined if I add "Degenerate Chipper" to the hobby list :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Been scouring pics pics pics, and what I am leaning towards is a darker outer ring, that lightens towards the play area.

Have been thinking lately of asking @p5woody if the files may be available to grab the Font - Shield - Scroll work, to perhaps work into the design. Feel like the blade design could be mimicked for a betting line.

1592947544980.png

TheWhat

Pair
Reaction score
Great sounding board here, so a few sources of inspiration:

Purple, checks a box for my partner. Not sure I am in love with the speed cloth design, there is another pattern I much prefer to it. Also really like the motif, and like the idea of script on the betting line. Also has that darker edge to lighter inside playing area.

1592951796617.png

The aforementioned different 4 Suits pattern. The other piece I love here, is the betting line color, being worked into the centre of the table.

1592952127218.png
1592952158229.png

Back to the script theme, this double lined betting line pops, and allows for a space to write, and again the lighter interior.

1592952275120.png

Then I keep going back to this table which I adore (Makes me dream for a circle). The design is incredible, line work is amazing. It has me a bit torn, confuses me whether I prefer a 4 Suits cards focused type pattern, or something like a floral design.

1592952605990.png

TheWhat

Pair
Reaction score
This is the shape of our table, this throws a bit of a curve into wording as the angle doesn't have the same flow as a curve. Not sure if this lends itself to a more fluid pattern to be applied to rake away some of the rigid feel.

Attachments

BGinGA

Royal Flush
Tourney Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two pieces of advise:
  • If designing a custom felt, avoid an overly-busy pattern (chips/cards can get lost, and causes eyestrain after many hours), and choose colors where the card and chip colors you use most frequently will stand out on the felt vs getting lost. Working a betting line into the design is a very smart idea..
  • Since it's a topper going onto an existing dining table, I would not get a raised rail. The resulting tabletop will be too high for comfortable use, and it's unlikely that you'll want to cut down the table legs to compensate.
This is the shape of our table, this throws a bit of a curve
Your table-top does not need to conform to the exact dimensions of your table. No problems with a true oval topper design overhanging a table, even a rectangular one.

TheWhat

Pair
Reaction score
Thanks @BGinGA

Seems to be multiple mentions of felt color and chips ... was pretty set on purple felt, and of course will be using the Purple from the Prestige buy everytime we play ... hmm.

I can't imagine not having a betting line. Our old foldout topper has one, we don't normally have to worry about it, but everyone clearly knows what it means!

We are going with a low profile rail, not raised, but it can still hold cups flush. That was a harder decision, but ultimately will work fine for our game.

rs_smoove

High Hand
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd go with in rail cup holders and a 10 man table. Even if you don't get 10 that often, it would be nice to have when it does occur.

SendThatStack

Two Pair
Reaction score
Green felt is classic. I highly recommend some sort of betting line or artwork that can delineate a betting line. Other than that, do what you like.

(3/4" high rail. See if 84' x 42" fits in your space. Slide in cupholders.)
I went with green and I love it.

Top Bottom