Table sagging (1 Viewer)

IaHawk

Straight
Tourney Director
Reaction score
I have a folding poker table I've been using for a little over a year that is starting to sag in the middle. What is the best way to fix this without adding a ton of weight? I figured I could get some 3/4 plywood and slap it on underneath but I think that may be overkill and add a lot of weight.

Or option B...sell this table and start building my own that I've been researching off/on for the past few years. :D

Attachments

• IMG_0592.JPG
    IMG_0592.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 248
I believe that table uses a cheaper compressed wood/particle board, so as it is inevitably exposed to humidity, it loses structural integrity.

Another simple solution could be to create a support column to bolster the middle. It could be a separate piece that you you'd store away when not in use.

Edit: I also think a new build is the way to go!

Last edited:
I believe that table uses a cheaper compressed wood/particle board, so as it is inevitably exposed to humidity, it loses structural integrity.

Another simple solutions could be to create a support column to bolster the middle. It could be a separate piece that you you'd store away when not in use.

Along this line of thinking, I placed a folding side table (TV tray style) and put a 2x4 on top of it, placed the whole thing under my sagging table.

In the interim it works fine, because I hardly move this table.

IMG_4793.jpg

IMG_4794.jpg

I would go the rebuild route. It will be heavier as far as portability goes, but unless you are using advanced materials like titanium or carbon fiber, sturdy = weight.

Otherwise, the price of replacing a table like that is less than the fix. It's essentially a disposable table, and from the wear on the rail, it's time.

You can attach a 2x4 (or two) length-wise under the table for extra support in the center, but I wouldn't invest any more time or materials than that in trying to fix it. Better off replacing it with a modified Barrington or building one yourself.

If replacement is not an option and if there is adequate wood structure to fasten a piece of angle iron down the middle, this would keep it from sagging.
Get a piece from Home Depot, any thickness, and screw it to the bottom right down the middle.

1592492715370.png

With OSB (compressed sawdust), some sag is inevitable, but you MAY be able to retrieve it if you are handy with tools.

Rip (that's a technical term) a piece of 3/4" plywood into two strips approx 2" wide and about 18"-24" shorter than your table.

Drill some holes the same diameter as your screws into the strips every 6-12", then countersink the holes part way (1/2" or so). Do this on the wide (2") side, not the 3/4" side. Attach the strips to the table with screws that are of correct length (they should go about 1/2 - 2/3 the way into the table without penetrating the other side). And, oh yeah, make sure you do this on the bottom of the table.

Edit - just re-read the OP and noticed it's a folding table. Forget it, buy a new table.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far guys, I'll see what I have laying around for scrap wood and put about 15 min worth of effort into it and focus the rest of my time getting back on planning out a build.

I would go the rebuild route. It will be heavier as far as portability goes, but unless you are using advanced materials like titanium or carbon fiber, sturdy = weight.

Otherwise, the price of replacing a table like that is less than the fix. It's essentially a disposable table, and from the wear on the rail, it's time.
Or you can use a common material like foam to make it lighter:
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/my-new-table-and-chips.20216/#post-370930

(I really need to get those photos off Photobucket and put them here instead)

Along this line of thinking, I placed a folding side table (TV tray style) and put a 2x4 on top of it, placed the whole thing under my sagging table.

In the interim it works fine, because I hardly move this table.

View attachment 477443
View attachment 477444

Sorry to hijack the thread, but do you mind me asking what type of playing surface that is? Also, how's the card glide? Thanks!

Sorry to hijack the thread, but do you mind me asking what type of playing surface that is? Also, how's the card glide? Thanks!

You know, I am not sure but it is similar to a suede felt. If i had to guess I would say this is very close.
https://www.amazon.com/Mocha-Premium-Microfiber-Upholstery-Fabric/dp/B00KAGEO8I

It is an old table my pops had and re-felted by one of his buddies for me when I moved into a new home. Wish I had more info than that.

Cards glide just fine, but I have no speed cloth to compare it to.

Was mentioned already but I think adding a 2x4 lengthwise an also having it so it’s rotated upright so it’s as rigid as can be. Angle some screws or use pocket hole jig if you can to attach it. Also just read it’s a folding table so idk how you could put a board the whole way across without making it not a folding table anymore lol.

Are the legs splayed out a little too due to the sag? Just thinking of quick and dirty fixes here, maybe it would help to run a ratchet strap between the legs and pull them back together and see if that flattens the table out too. Then you could easily take the strap off when you fold the table up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom